DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi from an utterly confused new pilot in Norwich, UK!

PaperCrane

Reactions
Hi all.

I've been looking at getting a Mavic for a while now, and I think I'm going to go shopping later today!

When I did my research I thought it would be as simple as ‘go buy drone, go fly drone’, but clearly, it very much isn’t. I managed to get the answers to some things (partly by reading this site) but not everything, so I thought I’d come ask people who know more than me! Apologies if I end up asking dumb questions, and thanks in advance for help.

Anyone on this forum in Norwich that wants to go for a pint & talk all things UAV, send me a msg?

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

You can probably find answers to many of your questions by searching this site. Click the magnifying glass icon at the top, right of this page to show the search box. If you're not able to find your answers there, then ask away.

Reactions: PaperCrane
Thanks both!

Msinger this forum has already been massively useful. I spent ages trying to work out what all the lines and zones are on airmap because there's lots of different coloured circles over Norwich but airmap doesn't explain what any of them mean! I saw a link on another thread to the DJI Geo map, which is a lot clearer - even if it doesn't have everything on it.

Drinking works regardless of location pixl! Thanks for the link.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! Fly safe!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Thanks both!

Msinger this forum has already been massively useful. I spent ages trying to work out what all the lines and zones are on airmap because there's lots of different coloured circles over Norwich but airmap doesn't explain what any of them mean! I saw a link on another thread to the DJI Geo map, which is a lot clearer - even if it doesn't have everything on it.

Drinking works regardless of location pixl! Thanks for the link.
Unfortunately, the DJI Geo map doesn't necessarily reflect the laws and regulations in your area -- it merely shows where it will pop up warnings when you try to fly, or completely prevent you from flying (red areas). You still need to consult with gov't regulators where you live. Don't take a lot of the advice you'll read here as accurate for the UK -- the largest proportion of flyers here are from the USA, which has some of the most relaxed regs in the world for hobby flyers.

Thanks Aerial-Pixel and dirkclod.

Currently searching for insurance info.
In summary: It's insured until it isn't. Then it's pot luck.

Thanks Pixl. I had a nasty suspicion that might be the case. I'll search around the forum and see what you guys recommend.

Ta for the clarification Haloweenhamster. I'm planning on being a good boy and playing nice!

Hi I am in Dorset UK, when I took my private pilots licence the regs were you were not allowed to fly below 500ft in a light aircraft unless take off or landing so set max height on your controller at about 400ft. Most large airports have a control zone https://www.norwichairport.co.uk/wp...irport-Class-D-Airspace-Pilots-Guide-v3.0.pdf - Not the best Map if you search the web you should find better, it marks the area of the control zones for Norwich and surrounding airfields. Also worth checking Notams (Notice to Airmen) before each flight. there is an app for that and this gives info on flying displays or any unusual aircraft activity in your area.

Hi all.

I've been looking at getting a Mavic for a while now, and I think I'm going to go shopping later today!

When I did my research I thought it would be as simple as ‘go buy drone, go fly drone’, but clearly, it very much isn’t. I managed to get the answers to some things (partly by reading this site) but not everything, so I thought I’d come ask people who know more than me! Apologies if I end up asking dumb questions, and thanks in advance for help.

Anyone on this forum in Norwich that wants to go for a pint & talk all things UAV, send me a msg?
Howdy from Wyoming PaperCrane, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Thanks nwhite007. Interesting and useful pdf. I'll try and cross reference that to the three yellow blobs that look like Mickey Mouse and two grey shapes I'm seeing over Norwich!

The upshot is that you may not be able to fly out of your backyard, but there look to be a lot of safe areas not too far away.

To give you some perspective, my backyard lies within the exclusion zones of 2 heliports, 1 seaplane aerodrome, and one international airport. I need to drive 10 miles to be legal. Fortunately, I travel a lot.

Hi all.

Hi it's not as hard or complex as it looks :)

Install the NATS app this app is for the UK and is very useful this will help with flight zones and there meanings it will also let you see what zones are around your area etc.

Updated Drone Assist app to propel responsible flying - NATS

There are really no stupid questions when looking at something new so ask as many as you like. The pub idea sound great apart from its about 4hrs away for me so hopefully you will find a drone buddy that is local :)

If you haven't looked here yet then take a look.

Unmanned aircraft and drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Probably an accurate summation of what it's like here Pixl! No seaplanes here, but there is a football stadium about a brick's throw from my front door, so that does kind of restrict things a bit.

Reactions: SaOuGenLa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000