DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi - I am a new member and have not purchased a drone yet from Southern California.

wmaldridge

Reactions
I am a new member considering getting into drones since bowling has been killed in California due to COVID.
I like the Phantom 4 pro but like the portability of the Mavic drone series. Any advice is welcomed as I have not purchased my drone just yet. I have masters degree in an engineering field so feel I can start slow with the mavic line and the great training tools. I would like talk to anyone with drone experience in southern California....
thanks
Scott

Hello Scott:

Welcome to our forum!

I started with a Mavic Air 2 - primarily out of luck as I didn’t do much research prior to acquisition. After several months I purchased a Mavic Mini 2 for it’s smaller size to use on bikepacking trips and I’m currently torn between waiting for the possible Mavic 3 Pro or getting a Mavic 2 Pro.

After flying both the Mini 2 and the MA2 a fair amount I think that the MA2 is an ideal ”starter” drone, at least for me. It is a bit more stable and forgiving than the Mini 2, has a lot of interesting features to learn and explore, etc.

If cost is a major factor, or you are definitely going to use the drone in self-supported remote settings (backpacking, etc) then the Mini 2 could be a better choice due it’s small size, light weight and ease of charging from smaller, lighter USB powerbanks.

Having said all that, I don’t think you could go wrong with either the Mini 2 or MA2. I don’t have any experience with other drones, so I can’t help there.

Howard

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

I had the mini but close is hard to see it's so small that being said it was a lot of fun flying you can get into some tight places I also have the air 2 which I love it's an amazing drone and last but not least is my first dji drone p3s I still love flying you can fly in attire mode no says it's a challenge. But a hole lot of fun it comes down to prefrance and what your looking to do i fly for fun it's. Your choice i love them all greetings from ? Florida

Scott, welcome to the forum. As Howard70 stated, I too started with the MA2 and I think it was a great choice, loved it since the beginning and still in love with it. Very easy to handle and the video/pictures are superb. Good luck with your choice and have fun. ;)

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland wmaldridge.

Nice to meet you Scott. ?

I started with a Spark and added a MA2.
Both are fine aircraft but the Spark has been discontinued and the MA2 is better.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching. ?

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
There’s many knowledgeable members willing to help you with any questions you have. Search the forum using key words and if you don’t find an answer, post your question and I’m sure you’ll get a quick response. Flytpath on YouTube has a good series of videos from unboxing to your first flight. Fly safe and stay safe!

I am a new member considering getting into drones since bowling has been killed in California due to COVID.
I like the Phantom 4 pro but like the portability of the Mavic drone series. Any advice is welcomed as I have not purchased my drone just yet. I have masters degree in an engineering field so feel I can start slow with the mavic line and the great training tools. I would like talk to anyone with drone experience in southern California....
thanks
Scott
Hello from New Zealand, Scott. I don’t think that you would be disappointed if you bought the DJI Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo pack. Plenty of flight time with the 3 batteries and the high res still frames and video formats will give you some great images. And the drone is extremely stable. Take your hands off the controls and it waits for your next command! ☺️ I have been flying mine for almost a year and it is a fantastic piece of gear. When you start flying, choose an open space and perhaps stay in Tripod Mode on the controller for your first few flights. That keeps things slow, in response at the drone. Good luck! And remember to breathe! ?? ????

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada