DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HIDDEN (or not so obvious) features on the M2 that you can share that every M2 owner should know

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I have had my Mavic 2 Pro since early August and still I'm finding things about my M2 almost by accident that I wish I had known about. I would like this thread to be sort of a compliation of the possible hidden, obscure, not readily known features (or even tips or tricks) of the M2 pro/zoom that might not be so obvious, easily overlooked or just plain hidden or buried in menus or just breezed by with the instruction manual. Feel free to include special settings that might not be normal, like EXP or sensitivity. How about special ways to use C1, C2 or 5D that one might not think about.

I'll start with one...
*I didn't know that I could hold finger on the phone's screen and not only control the gimbal movement up and down, but pan the camera left and right!

Ok... Your turn!

Reactions: Blender223
I’m pretty sure this works on the M2. If you hold down the right custom button and turn the right dial you can adjust the horizon level of the camera.

Reactions: nalarid
I’m pretty sure this works on the M2. If you hold down the right custom button and turn the right dial you can adjust the horizon level of the camera.
What do you mean by adjusting the "horizon level? I'm not sure what that means.

I have had my Mavic 2 Pro since early August and still I'm finding things about my M2 almost by accident that I wish I had known about. I would like this thread to be sort of a compliation of the possible hidden, obscure, not readily known features (or even tips or tricks) of the M2 pro/zoom that might not be so obvious, easily overlooked or just plain hidden or buried in menus or just breezed by with the instruction manual. Feel free to include special settings that might not be normal, like EXP or sensitivity. How about special ways to use C1, C2 or 5D that one might not think about.

I'll start with one...
*I didn't know that I could hold finger on the phone's screen and not only control the gimbal movement up and down, but pan the camera left and right!

Ok... Your turn!
This is really not a secret, but I have found that the two most frequent things I like to do are point the gimbal straight down, and go to photo controls. So I have made my C1 for the first and my C2 for the 2nd. I also like to use the settings of Vittorio from Sicily ( from Vic Video Pic)attached here

Attachments

• Vic VideoPic M2P Settings.pdf
    434.4 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: fguthrie
The secret ATTI mode (search these forums for the procedure). This is certainly not documented by DJI in any of their M2P materials. This is not just useful to know how to fly your craft when you lose GPS lock, it's very nice to have to turn on for video recording and allow the craft to drift on a slight breeze—talk about smooth cinematic movement.

Chris

Just got M2Z 4 days ago. Been watching YouTube to learn that video Zoom was limited to 2x in 4k recording, but was told I could get 4x by changing to 1080p (but didn't work for me). I played more and discovered that I could achieve 6x Zoom with 1080 and 24fps. I haven't been able to test yet due to windy conditions, but am hoping that will satisfy my Zoom desires. Any other tips on achieving better zoom at 4k?

Also, not that I do much photography, but when I do and try to zoom in on subject, the camera screen shows the zoomed image, but the saved photo on SD card is not. Is there a trick here or a malfunction??

Just got M2Z 4 days ago. Been watching YouTube to learn that video Zoom was limited to 2x in 4k recording, but was told I could get 4x by changing to 1080p (but didn't work for me). I played more and discovered that I could achieve 6x Zoom with 1080 and 24fps. I haven't been able to test yet due to windy conditions, but am hoping that will satisfy my Zoom desires. Any other tips on achieving better zoom at 4k?

Also, not that I do much photography, but when I do and try to zoom in on subject, the camera screen shows the zoomed image, but the saved photo on SD card is not. Is there a trick here or a malfunction??
Is this really a hidden feature post? It seems more of a "figuring out how it works" post. Because if you really want help on those questions, you might want to make your own thread.

Just sayin', people will see the title and not even look in here if they are not interested.

Chris

The secret ATTI mode (search these forums for the procedure). This is certainly not documented by DJI in any of their M2P materials. This is not just useful to know how to fly your craft when you lose GPS lock, it's very nice to have to turn on for video recording and allow the craft to drift on a slight breeze—talk about smooth cinematic movement.

Chris
Do you have a link for the procedures? I think I need to practice flying in ATTI mode. There have been one or two occasions that it's slipped into it and flying was scary as hell. A few weeks ago I was flying between two high rise buildings and lost GPS. There was obviously a wind tunnel of sorts created between them. And even though they appeared to be, by estimate, at least 100 feet apart I had a few tense moments just trying to bring my M2 back to land on the 7th floor deck of another building. I think flying in ATTI is a skill that all pilots should have for that one time when it's not an option.

Do you have a link for the procedures? I think I need to practice flying in ATTI mode. There have been one or two occasions that it's slipped into it and flying was scary as hell. A few weeks ago I was flying between two high rise buildings and lost GPS. There was obviously a wind tunnel of sorts created between them. And even though they appeared to be, by estimate, at least 100 feet apart I had a few tense moments just trying to bring my M2 back to land on the 7th floor deck of another building. I think flying in ATTI is a skill that all pilots should have for that one time when it's not an option.

Mavic 2 Atti mode

This is really not a secret, but I have found that the two most frequent things I like to do are point the gimbal straight down, and go to photo controls. So I have made my C1 for the first and my C2 for the 2nd. I also like to use the settings of Vittorio from Sicily ( from Vic Video Pic)attached here
I've traditionally used the 5D button for gimbal up and down. I guess that's part of the default setting. I confess I have difficulty remembering which custom settings I have assigned to the various buttons. I think that C2 brings up advanced camera settings.

*While not necessarily hidden, the USB port in the inside middle of the controller will allow you to plug a regular phone cable into the controller should you have a failure with the unusual micro port on the side of the controller. It is also convenient if you want to have a longer cable for mounting a phone or tablet away from the controller or even hooking up FPV/VR goggles. You just have to remember to unplug the side cable so the standard USB cable is the only one attached.

Reactions: joeywestside
The above link, Mavic 2 Atti mode does not work
You might want to scour all of the various resources. There's a debug mode, a j script file that may need editing, etc. In addition to the above link, there are these:

Chris

Is this really a hidden feature post? It seems more of a "figuring out how it works" post. Because if you really want help on those questions, you might want to make your own thread.

Just sayin', people will see the title and not even look in here if they are not interested.

Chris
I watched a couple of YouTube videos learned just about everything. "Hidden feature: Pressing the screen and moving the gimble...seriously?

You might want to scour all of the various resources. There's a debug mode, a j script file that may need editing, etc. In addition to the above link, there are these:

Chris
Yeah... You have to get a legacy version of DJI Assistant to do the mod. I have no idea why DJI wouldn't provide the capability to turn ATTI on as it is simply a matter of defeating GPS? If I had any beef with DJI it would be that they limit flexibility and autonomy with their drones and do so intentionally. My guess is that they don't want us flying in ATTI mode because it's more likely to crash. But it seems to me, OTOH, that when it comes on inadvertently if you haven't practiced flying in that mode you could probably crash it anyway in the panic that sets in with the inexperience to deal with it.

Yeah... You have to get a legacy version of DJI Assistant to do the mod. I have no idea why DJI wouldn't provide the capability to turn ATTI on as it is simply a matter of defeating GPS? If I had any beef with DJI it would be that they limit flexibility and autonomy with their drones and do so intentionally. My guess is that they don't want us flying in ATTI mode because it's more likely to crash. But it seems to me, OTOH, that when it comes on inadvertently if you haven't practiced flying in that mode you could probably crash it anyway in the panic that sets in with the inexperience to deal with it.
Yeah, but in that case (that last scenario), they can point to the logs and say "See, you few in an area without adequate satellites and lost GPS lock. User Error."

Before, when they provided the ATTI mode on the switch (such as with the Phantom models), they provided the non-GPS flying mode, so were sort-of more liable.

PS: to those wondering what "hidden" means in context of this thread, my take is that it means "that which DJI did not document" or at least didn't document well. Sure, you can find it on youtube videos now that community knowledge spreads, but that's after the fact (post-DJI documentation). </2 cents>

Chris

I'll start with one...

Ok... Your turn!
Here is one that was hidden and very useful. I set my C1 button to "waypoint at aircraft" then in Waypoint Mode you can fly manually to a position and when you hit the C1 button it places the waypoint there. Very handy when you are trying set a path between objects and GPS isn't accurate enough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair