DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High altitude flying

Vest596

Reactions
So I will be taking a week trip up to the mountains with my MA2. It will be 10,000ft+ is there anything different about flying at such high altitude i need to know or look for? Also flying around

Reactions: Silverback60
I don't know specifically about flight time... but for instance I was flying my Phantom P3 years ago on Loveland Pass, CO. About 12,000 feet. VERY definite change in flight characteristics. Probably was 85% throttle much of the time and it was slower to respond. Each (DJI) model has a maximum recommended flight envelope that is published in the spec's I believe.

Just an observation that the Mavic Air 2 has a Max Service Ceiling above sea level of 5000m, according to the specifications listed in the manual. So don’t go crashing it and expect DJI to support a claim

Just an observation that the Mavic Air 2 has a Max Service Ceiling above sea level of 5000m, according to the specifications listed in the manual. So don’t go crashing it and expect DJI to support a claim
5,000m is 14,000 feet [ASL] - The OP wants to fly around 10,000ft - so there's some room in there yet!

One thing I noticed flying around mountains is the difficulty in determining the height of mountains around me. I felt I could easily fly above a peak near me and I would be a couple thousand feet in elevation and not half way up the peak. So there is that aspect to get used to. You can throw the 400 feet limit out the window.

One thing I noticed flying around mountains is the difficulty in determining the height of mountains around me. I felt I could easily fly above a peak near me and I would be a couple thousand feet in elevation and not half way up the peak. So there is that aspect to get used to. You can throw the 400 feet limit out the window.
If you are climbing the mountain with the drone, the 400' is relative the the ground below the aircraft, and not the height above your launch point..

Thanks everyone guess i will find out soon enough at least weather looks like it will be good no cell service but i check the sat lock seems like there will be plenty hopefully i get some good footage

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Be very careful of your Density Altitude calculation. Summer heat combined with high altitudes will push any aircraft very close to its operational service ceiling. So the Manufacturer's service ceiling is a CALCULATED altitude because wings and propellers are dependent on the density of the air not the height above sea level. Air density is a function of absolute altitude, temperature, and even water content. At 10000 ft above sea level and 90 degrees F the aircraft density altitude calculates to 15009 ft (4575 m) feet You are starting the flight with Little margin of performance left assuming the service ceiling is 5000 m. Propeller efficiency is minimized and motor RPM should be near max. Excess upward thrust to climb will be reduced. Braking power in a descent will be reduced. If DJI published 5000 meters (density altitude) as the service ceiling your aircraft will not climb at all and may not be controllable. Fly in a cool morning and the equations tilt your way and safety increases- a little. Even at 60 degrees though you will be lifting off at a density altitude of 14,489 feet or 4416 meters. You will be near maxed out. The laws of physics can be inconvenient but pilots have to respect them. Mountain passes and hot days have killed many unwary pilots.

What aircraft?

It won't fly in a perfect vacuum, however, if there's enough reserve power factor it might fly at a half an atmosphere or around 18,000' Power factor reserve power
You probably won't notice any difference between home and on the mountain, because the DJI flight controller sequences RPM automatically for altitude control by GPS. If there was a direct correlation between throttle position and RPM - which doesn't exist, you'd probably run out of throttle maybe around 12,000' - 15,000'.
Keep an eye on the display screen for; warning - "max. RPM reached"

1000 mb sea level
850 mb 5000'
700 mb 10,000'
500 mb 18,000'
300 mb 30,000'
200 mb 39,000'

At 28 you won't notice it personally yourself, climbing around those 14er's like you would, if you were 60 or 70.

Last edited:
I live in Denver im going up to crested butte. And i try to stay out of the hot weather as it is. Im going to just fly a little at a time while its cool to get the hang of any differences

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser