DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High altitude for sure

360 Guy

Reactions
How do you figure this?
Might be old but it's the first time I saw it.....................jeeeeeeez!
True or fake?

Putting aside the idiocy of doing this the Mavic Pro has an altitude limit of around 16,000 feet or 5,000 meters. That might be somewhat conservative so maybe the 6.7K meters is doable on a given day if the conditions are right. At some point you reach an altitude where the air is too thin to produce the required lift.

Reactions: AZDave
Sped up, with all those edits, and no landing? I dunno. I saw a video some years back of a mavic climbing to 20k, in real time no edits. Not in the USA though, an island somewhere. I’ll try and retrieve that. Must have been cold up there.

How do you figure this?
Might be old but it's the first time I saw it.....................jeeeeeeez!
True or fake?

WOW! Amazing. Amazing that you don’t seem to care that at that altitude ( if you REALLY did exceed 22,000 feet), you are in the cruising range of MOST commercial passenger jets, which, unlike your drone, carry LIVE passengers who would ALL most likely die if their plane hit your drone.
Where is the FAA when you need them?

Reactions: AZDave
Although there may be some element of truth in the video, given all the low and critical battery warnings, I don't see how it would continue to climb when below the threshold for RTH. At the end, it does seem like the UAS is tumbling, as if power to the motors was cut, but then I wonder how it continued to transmit a bit longer while the batteries had powered down. I think it's likely a fake.

WOW! Amazing. Amazing that you don’t seem to care that at that altitude ( if you REALLY did exceed 22,000 feet), you are in the cruising range of MOST commercial passenger jets, which, unlike your drone, carry LIVE passengers who would ALL most likely die if their plane hit your drone.
Where is the FAA when you need them?
Although there may be some element of truth in the video, given all the low and critical battery warnings, I don't see how it would continue to climb when below the threshold for RTH. At the end, it does seem like the UAS is tumbling, as if power to the motors was cut, but then I wonder how it continued to transmit a bit longer while the batteries had powered down. I think it's likely a fake.
You’re right, it lost power mid flight which is why we see no landing in the video. I did a YouTube search: “Drone high altitude record.” If I were still flying fixed wing I’d be concerned.

It's a Mavic Pro, so all those settings can be bypassed. Given how long it continued to climb after reading zero on the battery, I suspect that it had an auxiliary battery connected. Initial descent was around 10 m/s under power - you know that because the horizontal speed was zero. Then the motors were stopped, the descent speed increased to around 17 m/s, which is approximately the terminal velocity for a Mavic Pro, and the horizontal speed increased to around 5 m/s which will have been the wind speed at that altitude. The video ends before any indication whether there was enough battery reserve to restart the motors and land under control.

I would rate it as most probably a real video of a flight.

Reactions: Defens
Dang that’s high up. Probably more dangerous than those extreme range tests if it fell out of the sky at 0% battery.

It's amazing how many people assume that if someone posts a video, that it's their video.
Even when the text explains that it isn't.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000