DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High ISO degrades significantly 4K footage quality

SkyMasterKT

Reactions
I observe that increasing the ISO (>400) drastically degrades 4K footage quality, which is mostly visible when there are trees in the footage. Of course you will ask why the heck I needed to shoot trees in daylight in ISO settings above 400 and rightly so. It was a particular situation - my 4 and 8 ND filters have not arrived yet, so I was shooting with the 16 ND, included in the FlyMore combo, the weather was cloudy with constantly changing light conditions, a storm was approaching and I have decided not to loose time to land and remove the 16 ND and continue shooting with higher ISO to compensate for the decreased level of light.
And so I finished with a nice cinematic flight from a great location, but with terribly degraded quality of the footage. The occasional raindrops on the camera lens didn't help either :D

Reactions: coneslayer
I observe that increasing the ISO (>400) drastically degrades 4K footage quality, which is mostly visible when there are trees in the footage. Of course you will ask why the heck I needed to shoot trees in daylight in ISO settings above 400 and rightly so. It was a particular situation - my 4 and 8 ND filters have not arrived yet, so I was shooting with the 16 ND, included in the FlyMore combo, the weather was cloudy with constantly changing light conditions, a storm was approaching and I have decided not to loose time to land and remove the 16 ND and continue shooting with higher ISO to compensate for the decreased level of light.
And so I finished with a nice cinematic flight from a great location, but with terribly degraded quality of the footage. The occasional raindrops on the camera lens didn't help either :D
Yea well that’s how it works. Never use an ND filter if you have to bump up your iso to use it. That’s nuts

All image sensors get noisy as you increase ISO. It is just the way they work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme