DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High-level meetings

JoostGT3

Reactions
Last week I was flying when I spotted a bird of prey flying around. After my previous encounter, where I almost had a mid-air collision with a hawk after I foolishly tried to get a bit closer, I kept my distance, but still kept it in view. This time, the bird came over to have a better look at this intruder in its domain, and it once more left me awestruck. I love how you can see it slowing down to take a good look, then decide it's not food and fly away. I'm happy that this time, the meeting took place at the decision of the bird, without me being too much of a nuiscance (hopefully!)

Wow, tremendous encounter !

It didn't look at all concerned about your drone, but I bet it was a little worrying when it flew above and out of sight !
I'd be thinking that's it, my Mavic is toast now.

Glad you didn't decide to do the normal thing to get away from birds of prey and hit the upstick hard, also that the bird didn't view you as another predator and protect it's area.

Reactions: JoostGT3
Wow, tremendous encounter !

It didn't look at all concerned about your drone, but I bet it was a little worrying when it flew above and out of sight !
I'd be thinking that's it, my Mavic is toast now.

Glad you didn't decide to do the normal thing to get away from birds of prey and hit the upstick hard, also that the bird didn't view you as another predator and protect it's area.
Thanks!
It was indeed a bit unnerving when it disappeared from view, but on the other hand, it didn’t look bothered or hostile at all. Just went back to landing and watched the bird a bit until it flew away. ??

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Last week I was flying when I spotted a bird of prey flying around. After my previous encounter, where I almost had a mid-air collision with a hawk after I foolishly tried to get a bit closer, I kept my distance, but still kept it in view. This time, the bird came over to have a better look at this intruder in its domain, and it once more left me awestruck. I love how you can see it slowing down to take a good look, then decide it's not food and fly away. I'm happy that this time, the meeting took place at the decision of the bird, without me being too much of a nuiscance (hopefully!)

Red Tailed HawkScreen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.52.56 AM.png????

Sort of.... the bird is called a "Buizerd" in Dutch (latin: buteo buteo), which translates to "Buzzard" in English. I understood that this is confusing for many Americans, as the ord buzzard is sometimes used to refer to vultures.

Wikipedia calls a "Buizerd" a Buteo Buteo, and a Red Tailed Hawk a Buteo jamaicensis, but they eem to be closely related:

Buteo - Wikipedia

Sort of.... the bird is called a "Buizerd" in Dutch (latin: buteo buteo), which translates to "Buzzard" in English. I understood that this is confusing for many Americans, as the ord buzzard is sometimes used to refer to vultures.

Wikipedia calls a "Buizerd" a Buteo Buteo, and a Red Tailed Hawk a Buteo jamaicensis, but they eem to be closely related:

Buteo - Wikipedia
Sorry- I am not an ornithologist but that bird in the video was not a buzzard!!! A buzzard is more like a vulture with a long beak, and huge wing span. The birds in the video was some sort of hawk or osprey.

Sorry- I am not an ornithologist but that bird in the video was not a buzzard!!! A buzzard is more like a vulture with a long beak, and huge wing span. The birds in the video was some sort of hawk or osprey.

Haha, no worries, that's what I meant; in some part of the world, a buzzard is a vulture-like animal, where in europe, it refers to a hawk:

Wikipedia said:
Buteo is a genus of medium to fairly large, wide-ranging raptors with a robust body and broad wings. In the Old World, members of this genus are called "buzzards", but "hawk" is used in North America (Etymology: Buteo is the Latin name of the common buzzard[1]). As both terms are ambiguous, buteo is sometimes used instead, for example, by the Peregrine Fund.[2]

Haha, no worries, that's what I meant; in some part of the world, a buzzard is a vulture-like animal, where in europe, it refers to a hawk:
Now THIS is a vulture (I shot this on a safari in Kenya 2013) Vulture coming in for a mealVulture landing.jpg

Very well done ?

• Love
Wo, what a beautiful shot! Must have been a dream trip!
Thanks- hand-held long lens, motor drive, 6 frames per second, picked the best shot. This bird was landing into a group of more than 20 vultures eating a dead carcass.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada