DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High Pitched Gimbal Noise

Bman22

Reactions
I noticed that there is some high pitched gimbal noise when I rotate the drone clockwise and the camera pans to the left. I only noticed it during start-up or when I was not using the drone for a day or two. It goes away when I do the gimbal calibration or move the drone up, down left and right. It doesn't seem to affect the stability and the gimbal performs as expected. Is this normal or just a sign of the gimbal breaking in the future.

Thanks

Reactions: DougMcC
Has the drone been crashed? I had this happen with an Inspire 2 after a crash. The camera seemed to operate normally, but had a high pitched whine, very faint. It turns out that gimbal had been very slightly bent and the servo motor was working hard to hold position. Eventually the motor would have burned out.

Never crashed. That is what I'm afraid of that the motor will eventually fail.

I have the same noise when the camera rotates to the left, exactly like you described.. i dont know If it is a problem..i can reproduce it when rotating the drone manually..it disappear after a few rotating attemps or gimbal calibration but comes again the other day..very weired. At least i am not alone with this issue..

Mine seems to do that too. Does not sound too bad though, I would not worry about that myself since there's not much to do about it. If the motors do burn out during normal use, it should be covered under warranty, IMO.

it is weired that it does this noise only when the camera turns to the left..the turn to the right seems noiseless

You may want to consider Refresh+ to extend the warranty to 2 years as I believe the gimbal is only 6 months. That's about the only reason I jumped at Plus on my M2 and now on the Mini since DDS has a 20% discount.
You do need an active Refresh first before you can get Plus.

I called DJI and they had me inspect the gimbal by moving the camera in all directions while the Mini is off. As long as there is no resistance when you move it, it's fine. I also did not receive any gimbal error code. They also received some reports about this and they will look into it. They said they might fix it with firmware.

Last edited:
i also received no Gimbal Error..only the noise when the camera turns to the left.. exactly like you..hope they fix it with an Update..
Also weired that it disapears after a few moves..sometimes it takes longer to disapear, othertimes it takes just a few Seconds/moving attemps

We should send DJI a video with sound if we happen to catch this again. I think the motors need to warm up before the noise goes away.

I noticed mine doing this the first time I powered the drone up. I've only heard it a few times since though.

I noticed that outside in cold weather the gimbal noise dont disapear, even after a long flight it is still there when the gimbal moves to the left..how is it with yours outside?

I haven’t checked mine outside in the cold. Will report back soon if I notice it. I only noticed it though during startup especially when I haven’t use the drone for a day or two. It usually disappear after startup.

I'm wondering if I've got the cold weather judder on my gimbal as I was just out flying it (and its about 2c outside) and i've noticed that I've got an annoying judder on my footage that I didnt have when I flew it in warmer conditions. Maybe it's the rubber holding the gimbal in place that's too cold?

I might leave it inside in the warm for a while then go fly around some more outside.

I have just done a flight test to check my earlier footage against some taken just now and I have a lot of jello effect on the COLD flights but I left the bird near a radiator before I just took it out for a 1min flight from my house and the cold footage is wobby, the warm footage is silky smooth.

On mine it sometimes also lasts only for the first left, othertimes longer..and outside at cold weather seems to be always there
Same noise as mine but only last for the first left turn of the gimbal.

On mine it sometimes also lasts only for the first left, othertimes longer..and outside at cold weather seems to be always there

Can you please send this to DJI and let us know what they think about it? Thanks

Have done that allready, they told me that i move the drone to fast to the right and the gimbal reaches his limit because of my fast Turn.. tried to explain that the issue occures also when turning the drone slowly but they told me not to worrie about it..
Dont know what to think about that..Sounds weired but anyways..lets see if they fix that with FW Updates
Can you please send this to DJI and let us know what they think about it? Thanks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll