DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High Speed fly questions.

KBerrah

Reactions
After my first newbie days flight in P-Mode, I decided to test Sport mode.
Incredible how fast this small drone can fly !! Absolutely not aerodynamic, but still fast !

- Is it an impression it looks to me that flying backward allows to get a slightly faster speed than fling forward ?
- is there any mods. such plastic adds-on to optimise the arms and antennas aerodynamics and allow to go faster?
- found a way for "emergency brake" when flying fast: reverse direction and simultaneously "UP".

Thx

Reactions: jdcntulsa
The real emergency brake is pressing the PAUSE Button on the Remote Controller while flying at full tilt forward. Mavic Pro will just about stand vertically to stop in mid air.

I have not seen any 3 D printed parts yet to optimize the air flow and aerodynamic's. I think people by/ build race quads if they have the specific need / want to fly at super high speeds.

Oh I see ! thanks for the hint about the PAUSE Button. I'll test it tomorrow :)

The "reverse and up" combination has the effect to have the props. nearly vertical, giving a hard "Pull" in the reverse direction, reducing the brake distance.

The real emergency brake is pressing the PAUSE Button on the Remote Controller while flying at full tilt forward. Mavic Pro will just about stand vertically to stop in mid air.

I have not seen any 3 D printed parts yet to optimize the air flow and aerodynamic's. I think people by/ build race quads if they have the specific need / want to fly at super high speeds.
Have you or anyone on here tried out hitting the pause button while flying in Sport mode at full throttle? Curious if there has been anyone that has crashed doing this. Is it safe to do every time without fear of the Mavic flipping or taking a dive?

Oh I see ! thanks for the hint about the PAUSE Button. I'll test it tomorrow :)

The "reverse and up" combination has the effect to have the props. nearly vertical, giving a hard "Pull" in the reverse direction, reducing the brake distance.
Careful, I have "read" that a quick stop from S-mode can jar the gimbal, causing damage.

Hi,

I just made 3 times a simple test flying forward at full speed (around 17m/sec), sport mode, altitude around 15m above the ground, and tried to do a quick stop (emergency situation).

Option 1, using the "PAUSE" button: nice brake, very stable, keeps the drone at the same altitude
Option 2, "Backward" + "Up", stop the drone in a much shorter distance, but brings your drone higher approx 5m (15feets) higher: this is the price to pay to stop faster.

So for emergency, and only emergency, I'll be using Option 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickenhoss
After my first newbie days flight in P-Mode, I decided to test Sport mode.
Incredible how fast this small drone can fly !! Absolutely not aerodynamic, but still fast !

- Is it an impression it looks to me that flying backward allows to get a slightly faster speed than fling forward ?
- is there any mods. such plastic adds-on to optimise the arms and antennas aerodynamics and allow to go faster?
- found a way for "emergency brake" when flying fast: reverse direction and simultaneously "UP".

Thx

One of my side hobbies with the dji aircraft I have owned is setting personal top speed records. I watched the weather forecast for days with at least 15mph wind gust. I analyze the internal flight log data on most all of my flights. So then comes the Mavic as well as some perfect wind blown days. I make some flight passes with wind gust close to 25mph recorded by my anemometer. This wind speed behind a P3P would produce around 70mph. I flew the Mavic with a 23mph wind gust and struggled to achieve 49.3mph. I analyzed the data throughout that flight and its obvious the Mavic has been programmed to maintain the flight speed. It levels out using less flight pitch, which sucks. Its like having the cruise control set on your vehicle which then applies the brake when going down hill to not exceed the set speed.

So....the mavic programming is not going to let there be any high speed fun.

Have you or anyone on here tried out hitting the pause button while flying in Sport mode at full throttle? Curious if there has been anyone that has crashed doing this. Is it safe to do every time without fear of the Mavic flipping or taking a dive?

I have used the PAUSE button to slam to a stop repeatedly without any visible damage or incident. I wish I could flip my Mavic , but thats just not possible with the internal sensors.

One of my side hobbies with the dji aircraft I have owned is setting personal top speed records. I watched the weather forecast for days with at least 15mph wind gust. I analyze the internal flight log data on most all of my flights. So then comes the Mavic as well as some perfect wind blown days. I make some flight passes with wind gust close to 25mph recorded by my anemometer. This wind speed behind a P3P would produce around 70mph. I flew the Mavic with a 23mph wind gust and struggled to achieve 49.3mph. I analyzed the data throughout that flight and its obvious the Mavic has been programmed to maintain the flight speed. It levels out using less flight pitch, which sucks. Its like having the cruise control set on your vehicle which then applies the brake when going down hill to not exceed the set speed.

My new car does this, pretty annoying.

I've flown into a 15 mph headwind, which gave me around 25 mph, which jives with the Mavic stop speed being about 40 mph. But if I turn 180 degrees, and have a 15 mph tailwind I DO NOT see a GPS speed (ground speed) of 55 mph, I see around 42 mph. The Mavic is limiting its GROUND speed. You DON'T gain NEARLY as much (if hardly any) the ground speed lost to a headwind in an equivalent tailwind.

Not in mode Sport+.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout