DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High Wind Velocity Warning!

izzca

Reactions
Do I really have to land ASAP? Has anyone's Mavic crashed ever due to high wind velocity? Thanks!

No and yes. You really need to use the search function with the keyword 'wind'. I think in the last 2 weeks 6 birds have been lost (some found) from wind. Commonsense is key. The higher you go the higher the wind so if possible the first thing you need to do is lower your bird. Second is if you went out with the wind behind you (mistake) you will use a lot more juice coming back. But seriously, read up.

Oh ,yeah lots of crashes recently as JDawg indicated.

The end of the message presented reads "fly with caution". This is a way DJI can set a flag within your flight log and if you continued to fly and crashed they could examine the flight log and determine that the warning message was presented.

So it serves 2 purposes
1. It warns the operator that they are flying in an unsafe condition
2. It allows them to determine if the warning was issued and potentially deny warranty claims on a crashed Mavic. Will they disallow as a result? I have no idea.

Many flyers just drop altitude to find less gusty wind conditions as at higher elevations the wind can be much , much stronger.

It is just informing you of high winds at altitude. You do not have to land ASAP but you should drop it down to find less wind. Many Mavics have been lost because of high winds.

The end of the message presented reads "fly with caution". This is a way DJI can set a flag within your flight log and if you continued to fly and crashed they could examine the flight log and determine that the warning message was presented.
2. It allows them to determine if the warning was issued and potentially deny warranty claims on a crashed Mavic. Will they disallow as a result? I have no idea.
High winds don't cause crashes. But they may contribute to d lost drone incident if the flyer has poor situational awareness.
Do I really have to land ASAP?
Whether you should land immediately depends on what you are doing and how much impact that high wind might have.
For some activities, it might be no real problem.
For others it could be very different.
Has anyone's Mavic crashed ever due to high wind velocity?
I don't think so but many inexperienced flyers have lost their drones because they had very little awareness of how their drone interacts with strong winds.
Your drone would be 100 times more likely to be blown away than to crash in strong wind situations.

Last edited:
No and yes. You really need to use the search function with the keyword 'wind'. I think in the last 2 weeks 6 birds have been lost (some found) from wind. Commonsense is key. The higher you go the higher the wind so if possible the first thing you need to do is lower your bird. Second is if you went out with the wind behind you (mistake) you will use a lot more juice coming back. But seriously, read up.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Whether you should land immediately depends on what you are doing and how much impact that high wind might have.
For some activities, it might be no real problem.
For others it could be very different.

I don't think so but many inexperienced flyers have lost their drones because they had very little awareness of how their drone interacts with strong winds.
Your drone would be 100 times more likely to be blown away than to crash in strong wind situations.

Thanks for you reply..... So far, I haven't really able to land "ASAP" as the warning says coz i'm mostly farther away and I obviously can't just land it anywhere where someone else could just grab it and in most cases when I go down in altitude, the warning goes away...

It is just informing you of high winds at altitude. You do not have to land ASAP but you should drop it down to find less wind. Many Mavics have been lost because of high winds.

Thanks for your response..... Yeah, that has been my experience so far. Once I lower my altitude to attemp to go home and land, the warning goes away and I obviously can't just land anywhere from me coz someone else might grab it.

So it serves 2 purposes

Many flyers just drop altitude to find less gusty wind conditions as at higher elevations the wind can be much , much stronger.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, these warnings tend to go away when i drop down in altitude to try to go home and land so i always end up continuing on at a lower height.

Reactions: Dukekar

So it serves 2 purposes

Thanks for your response. I indeed find that just lowering down a bit makes the warning go away but I wasn't sure if I should continue going home to land.

Rather than wait-and-see what the wind is like at altitude - get an app' like 'UAV Forecast' that will actually give you a 'wind profile' at your flying site. That way you can see the altitudes to avoid ...

I use the UAV Forecast app a lot and have found it useful.

I also have an app called LiveATC. It’s fun to listen to radio traffic between ATC and planes but if you set it to an airport nearby it gives much more accurate and current surface wind info. E.g. 07009G15KT. Translates to wind coming from 70 degrees on compass ( a little north of due east) at 9 knots gusting to 15 knots. There are also other aviation weather apps that will give you more detailed weather semi translated to English.

Last edited:
Rather than wait-and-see what the wind is like at altitude - get an app' like 'UAV Forecast' that will actually give you a 'wind profile' at your flying site. That way you can see the altitudes to avoid ...
That's one of the things I like the most about the UAV FORCAST APP. It gives you a chart with approximate wind velocities and temps up to 5000 ft altitude.

Just remember the winds aloft are just a guess, especially at drone heights.
Exactly. To many people think it's magically accurate if they see it on a screen.
It's just a forecast derived from a lot of guesswork.
It's not what is blowing at your flying location and may significantly under- or over-state what the actual conditions are.

Hi Duke been flying for a few years. Location Bay of Fundy Nova Scotia Canada side. Winds are some of the worse unpredictable in North America. Common sense is the key. My Mavic 2 is solid. Yes I get wind warnings, I fly along the beaches, bluffs at 40m height and over the bay the winds are very differant in this 40m wide area, can get 5km at water level and 50km at the top of the bluff. Down currents updrafts strong gusts coming around rock faces. Solution common sense line of site. But I have to say this Mavic flys great in wind. So pilots watch your drone and learn.

So today, I flew at wind speeds at 17 mph. I first tried to hover about 3 ft off the ground my Mavic got blown away for about 6 feet before it compensated and hovered in place. It was flying stable so I decided to go high. A warning came up for a few seconds up, but I stayed coz I could visually see the aircraft was stable. Everything went well. Thanks all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest