DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HK meet up

Hi HK pilots… still practicing, as I live in a rather non-open space next to the sea, so putting off the Mavic purchase, till I am confident with flying a non-GPS quad without issues. However, be happy to meet up, and get some answers to flying in HK.

Reactions: aresando
Hey Honkie pilots... quicky question: Whats your experience with the Black Kites, that we have flying around in most places.

I tried to keep out of their way, but sometimes, when descending or returning to Home, I find they are suddenly nearby, and I am hesitant to barge my way into their air space. I mean, they been around a lot longer than us up there!

Any of them ever taken an interest or attacked your Mavic?

i think it might be a long shot, but any drone pilots in Shanghai? Perhaps we could hang out and fly in SH too? Likewise if i travel to HK, will be great to meet some experience mavic pro pilots too

Hey Honkie pilots... quicky question: Whats your experience with the Black Kites, that we have flying around in most places.
I tried to keep out of their way, but sometimes, when descending or returning to Home, I find they are suddenly nearby, and I am hesitant to barge my way into their air space. I mean, they been around a lot longer than us up there!
Any of them ever taken an interest or attacked your Mavic?
Hi
I have the same fear and try to avoid them, which is indeed a challenge as they are everywhere and so swift... Never heard of an accident though. There are a few videos and pics on the internet, apparently the best move if a bird starts circling is to go down.

Wow... Haven't checked this thread since I posted... Looks like there are quite a few HK Mavic flyers here.

Regarding the Black Kites, I haven't had any issues with them at all.. I was initially quite wary about them since I fly mostly around Discovery Bay where there are lots of Black Kites. However, after many Mavic flights around DB, I haven't had any problems with them at all.

This is in contrast with the Black Kites consistently chasing my flying wing around when I was flying them in the hills above DB. Maybe it's the size/sound of the flying wing, which I would guess, appear to be a predatory bird...

BTW, I found that the best move if a bird is chasing your RC craft, is to speed up and go up not down. That's how I used to loose the attacking Black Kites chasing after my flying wing. It takes effort for the bird to ascend, so they will give up sooner..

...I found that the best move if a bird is chasing your RC craft, is to speed up and go up not down. That's how I used to loose the attacking Black Kites chasing after my flying wing. It takes effort for the bird to ascend, so they will give up sooner..

That seems to make a lot of sense. Need to keep that in mind. I also heard that birds of prey like to attack downwards and only smaller and not bigger birds, but I am no expert thats for sure!

Last encounter, I was lucky to be higher:

DJI_0663s copy.jpg

(but i was concerned more about other things than the kite :)

Reactions: gregw
That seems to make a lot of sense. Need to keep that in mind. I also heard that birds of prey like to attack downwards and only smaller and not bigger birds, but I am no expert thats for sure!

Last encounter, I was lucky to be higher:

View attachment 10574

(but i was concerned more about other things than the kite :)

That looks like a helicopter carrier! Was this near/in Victoria Harbour? I saw a military ship last Sunday while on the DB ferry..

That looks like a helicopter carrier! Was this near/in Victoria Harbour? I saw a military ship last Sunday while on the DB ferry..

Its the USS Makin Island, on its way through Lamma Channel... got lucky in more than one way! (kite, timing, lack of wind, not being shot down!...)

I'm surprised the radar on the Carrier wasn't on... it would probably cause a loss of signal for the Mavic.

BTW - am interested in meeting a few Mavic people. Or at least sharing some ideas and places of interest

Any good place to fly?

Depends what you looking for, if just flying then maybe best to stick to new territories, and the mountain peaks. If you after city and buildings, then maybe East Kowloon, if after events, then try the Dragon Boat festival at Sha Tin tomorrow (Tue, 30th)

But you really gotta be more specific with what you looking for if you want real advice ;-)

Talking of the Dragon boat festival - like many cultural events, there are more and more drones out now, whenever something big and visual happens. Has anyone else felt its tricky to fly, considering the amount of drones flying around? I mean you dont want a crash midair and this seems like a likely scenario, when an event is concentrated in a small area and pilots try and get the same vantage point for images/video.

Any thoughts on self regulation, like pilot checkin with event organizers, so everyone can agree on a certain flight level... or something like that?!

Talking of the Dragon boat festival - like many cultural events, there are more and more drones out now, whenever something big and visual happens. Has anyone else felt its tricky to fly, considering the amount of drones flying around? I mean you dont want a crash midair and this seems like a likely scenario, when an event is concentrated in a small area and pilots try and get the same vantage point for images/video.

Any thoughts on self regulation, like pilot checkin with event organizers, so everyone can agree on a certain flight level... or something like that?!

I'm sure there should be some kind of collision avoidance rules for real pilots because there are rules for boats. Although our situation is quite different, it makes sense to look into those rules, so that at least we will not do something that is in contrary to those well-established rules.

However, I'm afraid that we are not in a good position because DJI had made a bad choice on the lights by not following the port side (left) red - starboard side (right) green international convention.

Depends what you looking for, if just flying then maybe best to stick to new territories, and the mountain peaks. If you after city and buildings, then maybe East Kowloon, if after events, then try the Dragon Boat festival at Sha Tin tomorrow (Tue, 30th)

But you really gotta be more specific with what you looking for if you want real advice ;-)

Where is your favorite place then?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS