DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HLG vs DLOG Noise and Image Clarity

rmb

Reactions
So as the subject suggests I have been doing some tests. As a pro videographer, I swear by Dlog and Prores. As of recent, I have begun shooting in HLG. To my surprise, HLG seems to provide far more detail as well as some other benefits including being easier to grade.
I am posting here a comparison of a quick 5-second shot where you can see the massive difference in fine detail with HLG vs the same shot in DLOG. My guess is that the standard DLOG is suffering more greatly from the noise issue that has been plaguing prores on the Mavic 3 Cine from the begining.

Anyway, I would love to hear what you other prores folk think.

Thanks,
rb

DLOG vs HLG.mov

Reactions: mavictk
I will be of no help because the DLOG looks better to me. I do like the way you presented the differences. Well done. Again, no help.

To make a really fair comparison, you have to get the exposure of both exactly the same which will be tough. In your example, the HLG footage is slightly more exposed and this makes the difference you are seeing. I paused your video at four seconds when the wipe (Dlog left - HLG right), was centered over the tree in the foreground. Here you can see that the HLG clip has a higher exposure.

Personally, I like the look of Dlog over HLG as I think it gives a more film-like look but that is a personal preference.

HLGvDLOG.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mavictk
HLG looks good and is definitely easier to grade. I think the look is a personal preference thing but for me, the less time I need to spend in post the better so I prefer HLG.

I’m 100% HLG. My post production is always Wide Gamut in FCPX and looks killer on my HDR monitor. And I like the transportability to SDR video displays.

Here’s my unscientific comparison for enhancing detail.

Reactions: c.oberschneider
I’m 100% HLG. My post production is always Wide Gamut in FCPX and looks killer on my HDR monitor. And I like the transportability to SDR video displays.

Here’s my unscientific comparison for enhancing detail.
Did you noticed any difference in bitrate? What is the bitrate of dlog and hlg in your files?

Did you noticed any difference in bitrate? What is the bitrate of dlog and hlg in your files?
Don’t recall. I’ll look it up and get back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929