DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hobbyist Drone use killed?

There are positives and negatives to that, from the hobbyist perspective. It's just going to depend on airspace, and so on the positive side the blanket requirement to notify within 5 miles of any airport or heliport will go away - Class G and Class E surface extensions will be open for flight. On the negative side, those used to flying near airports with simple notification will now likely need to use the LAANC system or similar to get approval. That will allow further integration of approvals with geofencing systems, which is a good thing from an aviation safety perspective.

I hate it when I have to get all libertarian and break the law.

Honestly, I won't comply.

Won't comply with airspace requirements? Why not? Or is picking and choosing which laws to follow simply your regular MO?

At some point you will or you'll be paying fines etc. At some point there will be enforcement and the first few ones will hopefully pay LARGE to set a precedence.

It's going to get harder not easier. Also posting online that you're not following laws will eventually come back to bite you in the tail feathers.

Whoever posted that they’ll just ignore these new regulations is going to cause a lot of problems for the rest of us that follow them.
To whoever posted that “fly legally and safely” PLEASE, because ultimately it effects us all!!!

Won't comply with airspace requirements? Why not? Or is picking and choosing which laws to follow simply your regular MO?

At some point you will or you'll be paying fines etc. At some point there will be enforcement and the first few ones will hopefully pay LARGE to set a precedence.

It's going to get harder not easier. Also posting online that you're not following laws will eventually come back to bite you in the tail feathers.

No, I don't follow regulations that limit liberty. I am, and will continue to be, safe in my drone usage - I don't need some bureaucrats permission to do so.

No, I don't follow regulations that limit liberty. I am, and will continue to be, safe in my drone usage - I don't need some bureaucrats permission to do so.

How do you cope with highway speed limits? Stop signs? Life must be a constant thrill disregarding all those liberty-limiting laws? Presumably you only sneak around breaking them when LE isn't watching though.

Flying a sUAS is not a RIGHT given to you. It's a privilege and as such we have rules and regulations in order to keep our NAS safe and the best in the world. Your actions will eventually catch up with you either by an incident or by a fellow R/C enthusiast reporting your actions.

It blows my mind how you think you're ABOVE the law in any way what so ever. I sincerely hope you live no where near any type of airport.

Flying a sUAS is not a RIGHT given to you. It's a privilege and as such we have rules and regulations in order to keep our NAS safe and the best in the world. Your actions will eventually catch up with you either by an incident or by a fellow R/C enthusiast reporting your actions.

It blows my mind how you think you're ABOVE the law in any way what so ever. I sincerely hope you live no where near any type of airport.

Dunning–Kruger strikes again. It's an epidemic...

If each individual in our society had the right to pick and choose which laws they would follow there would be chaos. We surrender some of our “liberty” to gain the benefits of living in a society where others and government do things for us that we could not do for ourselves. What if I decided I didn’t have to follow laws against killing people who don’t follow FAA regs for drones and therefore cause me problems with my drone flying?

How do you cope with highway speed limits? Stop signs? Life must be a constant thrill disregarding all those liberty-limiting laws? Presumably you only sneak around breaking them when LE isn't watching though.

Sometimes I even stop when there's no stop sign... go figure.

I don't mind putting numbers on my [Moderator Edited for language] or stopping at stop signs. But if I had to call the police and ask permission to drive somewhere that would be infringing on my liberty.

You all want to be sheep, go for it. Call the control tower and ask for permission to fly around your front yard. I won't be doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If each individual in our society had the right to pick and choose which laws they would follow there would be chaos. We surrender some of our “liberty” to gain the benefits of living in a society where others and government do things for us that we could not do for ourselves. What if I decided I didn’t have to follow laws against killing people who don’t follow FAA regs for drones and therefore cause me problems with my drone flying?

I think it's likely that the poster above is just trolling. Despite my earlier comment it's hard to accept that anyone capable of flying a drone is incapable of such basic reasoning.

I think it's likely that the poster above is just trolling. Despite my earlier comment it's hard to accept that anyone capable of flying a drone is incapable of such basic reasoning.

Maybe not though - apparently he only ever flies around his yard.

I think it's a fairly safe assumption that without the current FAA drone laws, something really bad would have happened by now with all the proliferation of hobby drones over the past 10 years. Personally, I would be quite nervous taking my next airline flight had the FAA not stepped in.

I used to live life thinking rules were more of a suggestion, but eventually realized that every rule or law is a two sided coin - on one side, many laws are a real pain to comply with, but the other side of that coin is that my personal safety and/or property is being protected by those same laws.

Last edited:

why should we have to comply with laws that are introduced to stop our liberty

maybe you could extend your law breaking ways to driving down the wrong side of the road, drunk and high as a kite, with your shotgun hanging out of the window shooting anyone who gets in the way and stops me enjoying the hard won gains.
or do you just pick and choose which law to comply with

These bloody laws

I hope that you also get the full force of the law down on you each time you break any of the restrictive laws

You must also realise that the regulators don’t watch this site. Or maybe they do.

Knock knock, this is the regulator coming to take you away.

[Moderator Removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigAl07
Don’t waste your time even reading anymore on this thread, look at his membership date, he’s just trying to stir the pot (troll). I honestly think most everyone here has the best intentions and want to do what’s best for our amazing hobby, don’t let trolls get your blood pressure up, most of us are to old for that.

I wonder what the parameters are for airports/ATC to allow or deny permission?

I wonder what the parameters are for airports/ATC to allow or deny permission?

Under the current hobby rules (14 CFR Part 101 subpart E), which requires notification to airport towers and operators within 5 miles, they don't get to approve or deny, but then can object if they feel that the proposed flight will endanger air traffic.

The Part 107 authorization process either goes through the LAANC system, which just approves based on altitude restrictions in controlled airspace around airports, or through the older FAA authorization application portal, where requests are assessed based on location, altitude and other proposed constraints.

Reactions: JAW
You know what @sgrinavi , when you and your lady are riding around on your mountain bikes, you are probably comfortable in the knowledge that all of the cars you are sharing the road with, are obeying all the rules and give you the respect of sharing the road legally with you. I’m also sure when a vehicle does run close to you, or cuts you off on your bicycle (which seems to happen more often than it should) you get really really annoyed at that person for not complying with the laws of the road.
Imagine if all the drivers that come near you on your bike, had the same attitude to laws as you do..........

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+