DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hobbyists: how have the new regulations affected your flights?

Hobbyists: how have the new May 2019 FAA regulations affected your flights?

• No affect at all

Votes: 48 67.6%
  • What new regulations?

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I pledge allegiance to the new regulations, for which they stand

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I'd rather not say

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I've been grounded

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Drone for sale

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drone on

Reactions
you could reply

No affect at all

What new regulations?

I pledge allegiance to the new regulations, for which they stand

I'd rather not say

I've been grounded.

Drone for sale

etc...

Last edited:
Live in Class G Boondocks... no effect.

Reactions: BigAl07
No effect and don't anticipate any Thumbswayup

I love it. I can fly from my office and home now without calling the airport and leaving a voice mail. I am not sure anyone actually works there since in six months no one has answered or returned a call. Calling a non tower small airport never made any sense to me.

Calling the airport was at least an attempt at safety.. although few people actually did it or realized they were close enough to need to.

Now people will still fly because there is no way to enforce the new rules and no one to enforce them or we will all start to be grounded by geofencing because political people make these laws without understanding the technology.

I’m part 107 but I fear that things will now get more complicated getting Go 4 to allow me to fly where I can get authorization.

What’s funny is when I get automatic authorization using AirMap/LANCC ( which still doesn’t work for Newark Airport) the authorization often instructs me to call the tower prior to my flight!

Reactions: Jet skier and strdr
What’s funny is when I get automatic authorization using AirMap/LANCC ( which still doesn’t work for Newark Airport) the authorization often instructs me to call the tower prior to my flight!

Why is that funny? If you are flying in controlled airspace in the vicinity of an airport it makes sense for the tower to know about it. Under the legacy FAA authorization system it was often a condition of the authorization to notify ATC.

Please don’t get all annoyed... of course I think it’s important..

The new legislation seems to imply that getting phone calls was to much of a distraction or work for the airports, but I’m still calling them.

I don’t believe enough people were following the rules and calling airports prior to the newest legislation.

Please don’t get all annoyed... of course I think it’s important..

The new legislation seems to imply that getting phone calls was to much of a distraction or work for the airports, but I’m still calling them.

I don’t believe enough people were following the rules and calling airports prior to the newest legislation.

The new rules, assuming you are still talking about recreational flight, are in place because now the FAA can regulate hobbyists whereas before they could not. Calling the airport was previously just a notification, not a request for permission. And yes - at a busy facility they have better things to do than spend their time taking phone calls and trying to figure out where every Part 107 or hobbyist is trying to fly, unless it is close enough to be a requirement of the authorization.

The new rules, assuming you are still talking about recreational flight, are in place because now the FAA can regulate hobbyists whereas before they could not. Calling the airport was previously just a notification, not a request for permission. And yes - at a busy facility they have better things to do than spend their time taking phone calls and trying to figure out where every Part 107 or hobbyist is trying to fly, unless it is close enough to be a requirement of the authorization.

Wow your hostile...

Yes I’m talking rec. fliers and I believe that hardly any recreational fliers were calling the airports. Therefore they were not adding stress to class G airports with a plane flying out every five hours or bigger airports. There will be no good ,safe ,or fair regulation without enforcement..

Reactions: Slade
Wow your hostile...

Yes I’m talking rec. fliers and I believe that hardly any recreational fliers were calling the airports. Therefore they were not adding stress to class G airports with a plane flying out every five hours or bigger airports. There will be no good ,safe ,or fair regulation without enforcement..

Hostile? In what way?

So the requirement to call airports was a fine arrangement that didn't cause undue workload for the airports because hardly anyone was following the requirement? Is that your argument?

Wow your hostile...

I use to fly right at the edge of the 5 mile limit to Deer Valley airport and I would call each time to let them know I was there. I'm purely a Rec pilot . Deer Valley is one of the busiest private aviation airports in the US if not the busiest with hundreds of take off's and landing each day. Now until the new LANCC rules apply to us Rec pilots I can't fly there. :(

Reactions: r.gwynn
Ridiculous.. first of all faa AirMap says I’m not near airport but Go 4 said I was .. then I had to get a token which was hard because I was using smart controller without WiFi.. then I suddenly had no picture ?? Then token wouldn’t work. Another really unsafe thing was that I could not get to the unlock screen until after I was hovering. This is all because of a class G airport that airmap says I’m more than 5 miles from. This all happened on a job. I am part 107. Thanks DJI

Reactions: r.gwynn

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121