Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CANCELLED: Holiday Lights Photo Contest begins Nov 20 and ends January 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Member

Reactions
UPDATE : CONTEST CANCELLED

Due to low interest, Im going to cancel this one. Maybe start a winter one in Jan or Feb. Sorry guys.

To celebrate the holidays, I am starting a Holiday Lights photo contest. The contest will begin today, Tuesday November 20, 2018 and end on Tuesday December 18, 2018 at midnight EDT.

If you have taken in the past, or will be taking a picture of the holiday lights with your Mavic drone (MP, MPP, MA or M2), and you would like to enter it into our contest, please submit your photo in this thread. It does not have to be a thumbnail. Please enter only 1 photo per member!
  1. This is an international contest, not limited to the USA only.
  2. Please enter only 1 photo per member!
  3. This contest is for Mavicpilots forum members only.
  4. The photo can be either a still or a capture from a video, as long as it's yours.
  5. Feel free to edit the photo, but please tell us what you used to do it.
  6. It is not a paid gig, so you don’t have to be Part 107 to enter.
  7. You are the rights holder for the entry. We will use it only for contest purposes.
  8. Any photos not reflective of the contest topic are subject to removal by the Admin or Mods
  9. Please do not respond to this thread with anything but your entries. No comments please!
  10. We would appreciate any info (but not required) about the photo such as:
    • time of day
    • NP or other filter used
    • Shutter speed
    • any post editing processes or software used
  11. Please don’t violate any airspace in your photos.
  12. Please be careful if flying at dawn or dusk, and in windy and/or below freezing conditions.
Submissions will be accepted until midnight Saturday January 5, 2018 EDT USA. After the entry period has been closed, the judges, made up of sponsors, approved vendors and staff, will pick the top 5 entries, and forum members will pick the winners based on poll results. The 5 finalists entries will be shown on a new thread including a poll, allowing members to vote on their favorite entry, and comment on why they chose that particular one.

Prizes:

1st Place - Ryze Tello drone donated by Thunderdrones

2nd Place - a $40 gift certificate donated by @Aerial-Pixel Website: Aerial-Pixel - Vinyl Graphics, Vinyl Decals, Apparel, 3D Printing

3rd Place - a handy Third Hand Soldering Tool PCB Holder donated by @fstop.labs Amazon page link: http://a.co/d/3lhMyqU Fstop web page: DJI Gimbal Accessories and Long range Antenna Systems

4th Place - Mavic Pro Leg Extensions in Red and Prop Locks in flexible ninjaflex material in black donated by @BD0G

5th Place - Laminated DJI Mavic Flight Checklist

You don’t have to be a professional. Even if you are a beginner drone owner, we would like to see what you are capable of with a Mavic. Have fun, and let’s see what you can do.

Please click "like" on any posts that suit your fancy.

Happy holidays and best regards.

Rob
Thunderdrones

Last edited:
Just wondering if members have hung their holiday lights and/or are starting to see holiday lights being strung up? In my neighborhood there are only a few houses so far with their lights up. We were planning to put them up last weekend, but maybe this weekend instead.

CC9D7D1B-649B-43B4-B997-1D6081975C59.jpeg
i shot this picture on evening using Mavic pro, location Jakarta, Indonesia.
date : 29 november 2018
time : 17.40
shutter speed : 1"
iso : 800
i did a simple edit for the noise n colour

ADD66C27-BB8F-4AD3-8B8C-42CB411E2901.jpeg
shot using mavic pro at night and i did a simple edit for colouring and noise. location Sukabumi, Indonesia
date : 2 november 2018
time : 21.10
iso : 1600
shutter speed : 1"

DJI CMH court corner.jpg
Happy Holidays !
  • time of day: 20 minutes past sunset
  • NP or other filter used: None!
  • Shutter speed: 1/25
  • any post editing processes or software used: Lightroom
  • elevation AGL: 140 feet

Really difficult one for me this as I live in the city and I cannot overfly buildings but luckily some kind soul has decorated some cranes. Keeps with my industrial nights theme as well :). M2P, ISO 100, F2.8 1" exposure.IndustrialNights00001.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
m2p-ca-PANO0001-12-Pano.jpg

Flight Data:
Drone: Mavic 2 Pro
Height: 30,6 m AGL
GPS: 49°16'36.484" N 11°27'39.078" E
Direction: NNE

Camera Settings:
Exposure: 0.6s f/4.0
Sensitivity: 400 ISO

Post Production:
Lightroom Classic CC for combining vertical pano + post processing

For those who are interested: I wanted to try the official way for these photos. So I talked to the city, the public order office, the civil engineering office and the police station and coordinated my flight plan. Since the place is within 1.5 kilometers of a small airfield, I have applied to the Aeronautical Office North Bavaria for a general order and announced the flight at the tower.

Of course the rules will be different in all countries and pretty much where you live. For me, the whole thing was very educational and I can only recommend to anyone to try something like this, because you learn a lot about the regulations of the city and the offices ... even if it is only a private flight. In addition, in this case, the city was even very interested in the pictures of the Christmas lights.

I wish you all a merry christmas and wonderful holidays!

-- EDIT: Sorry, I edited my entry, because I would like to submit another photo

Last edited:
Due to unforeseen circumstances, and to allow more people to get home from vacation, the deadline for contest entries has been extended to Saturday January 5, 2019. Sorry for the confusion!

Time to get those pictures taken and entries in!

Due to unforeseen circumstances, and to allow more people to get home from vacation, the deadline for contest entries has been extended to Saturday January 5, 2019. Sorry for the confusion!

Time to get those pictures taken and entries in!

I like that.
my original intent was to help you get the ball rolling with this thread your were Ten day in without Pictures
so i posted

Thunderdrone..Rob
please exclude me from This contest
(I don't believe I have a chance of a win/show/place)
if by some miracle if do please pass it forward Thanks ..scott

I too looking forward to others contributing posting in this thread

Good luck everyone Let see those awesome Holiday Postings......cR

I like that.
my original intent was to help you get the ball rolling with this thread your were Ten day in without Pictures
so i posted

Thunderdrone..Rob
please exclude me from This contest
(I don't believe I have a chance of a win/show/place)
if by some miracle if do please pass it forward Thanks ..scott

I too looking forward to others contributing posting in this thread

Good luck everyone Let see those awesome Holiday Postings......cR

Your photos are great @charliesRig don’t put yourself down, you stand as much chance of wining as anybody else.;)

Reactions: charliesRig
See first post guys .Cancelled .dos30bc_8036fb8cf8ced41ca30858df79e7e9af8221ec4f.gif

Reactions: Former Member
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR