DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home made screen shade/hood? Question about material

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
My first go-around with my original drone from China presented problems in viewing the screen in sunlight. The screen was so dark I couldn't see any of the screen functions, even though I had the screen brightness setting on manual-full bright (iPhone 6sPlus).

As a long time commercial photographer, one of the things that I have on the shelf is BLACK cinesfoil (black, heavy duty, aluminum foil). If the foil won't interfere with transmission, perhaps I can use it in conjuntion with a cheap commercial screen shade. That will be a creative decision. But for now I need to know if the aluminum foil might interfere with the signal or operation? Of course it would be around the phone, not obstructing the antennae.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: mereflyer
i would suggest that the foil could interfere with the RC and device, it seems all commercially produced hoods are made from non metallic materials

Reactions: petedffy
Start with cereal packet card board etc until you find a shape that works for you. Perversely I have wanted to bloclk the signal from my MM controller and have been unable to do it. I have wrapped the anntennae in aluminium foil, and then the controller as well and then earthed the foil and was unable to block the signal. Likewise inside a stainless steel (SS) saucepan with a stainless steel lid on it. I have also earthed a SS saucepan but didn't have the lid to hand and again failed to break the connection.
That said, this was all with the drone 3ft away, it might have weakened the signal but the controller and drone were simply too close. Which reminds me I need to reply in the relevant thread.

• Haha
It's not vital that the screen hood is black. First priority is that it blocks light. Having the inner surface black may make a small additional improvement in cutting down on reflections. I don't think it will have a huge detrimental effect on the transmission if you keep it away from the antennas. You may get poor signal behind you, but how often do you fly facing away from the drone? If you use clip on yagis or parabolic reflectors the foil lens hood would have even less effect.

Prolly the worst "how to" vid I've ever done but should be helpful in giving you thoughts.. btw, been using this shield/shade for two years so far and I fly weekly

My first go-around with my original drone from China presented problems in viewing the screen in sunlight. The screen was so dark I couldn't see any of the screen functions, even though I had the screen brightness setting on manual-full bright (iPhone 6sPlus).

As a long time commercial photographer, one of the things that I have on the shelf is BLACK cinesfoil (black, heavy duty, aluminum foil). If the foil won't interfere with transmission, perhaps I can use it in conjuntion with a cheap commercial screen shade. That will be a creative decision. But for now I need to know if the aluminum foil might interfere with the signal or operation? Of course it would be around the phone, not obstructing the antennae.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
i just used some cardboard from a box
painted the inside black and taped it to the i pad mini 4 it worked great.
real light.

I'm surprised that screen shades/hoods aren't more popular. There are so many functions that have to be accessed via phone or tablet, sometimes including positioning, that if you can see the screen you're nearly dead in the water. My first flight with the MM was better as the screen was actually visible with my make-shift screen shade. I've ordered a rubberized one that will be easier to attach. Should be here Tuesday.

Any thoughts?
I made this harness because I had the same problem as you are having with unable to see the screen.
The main viewing box I cut out of 3mm Depron, the rest of the harness is whatever lightweight materials I had in my workshop, such as Balsa, ply and aluminium tubing, plus a few small bolts and wing nut etc.

With this unit I can easily see, the controller, screen and drone without wearing a head mask, it just makes the whole experience of flying, taking images and video so much easier and far more enjoyable. I would not fly without this now!
Feel free to copy as you wish.
DSCN1670.v01.jpg

Reactions: old man mavic
I made this harness because I had the same problem as you are having with unable to see the screen.
The main viewing box I cut out of 3mm Depron, the rest of the harness is whatever lightweight materials I had in my workshop, such as Balsa, ply and aluminium tubing, plus a few small bolts and wing nut etc.

With this unit I can easily see, the controller, screen and drone without wearing a head mask, it just makes the whole experience of flying, taking images and video so much easier and far more enjoyable. I would not fly without this now!
Feel free to copy as you wish.
View attachment 106215
Wow! That's a lot of box! What type of monitor do you have in that box? Sadly, when I moved into a condo I had to give up my workshop and I literally gave away a truck load of tools. Looks like a fun project. I'm thinking to build something less bulky. Do you think Cinefoil would hinder or even help the transmission?

The one thing I think I'd like to have on the controller is a neck strap of some sort so I don't have to put the controller down when I need both hands for something for a moment or two. You seem to be very creative. Any ideas?

Reactions: mereflyer
Wow! That's a lot of box! What type of monitor do you have in that box? Sadly, when I moved into a condo I had to give up my workshop and I literally gave away a truck load of tools. Looks like a fun project. I'm thinking to build something less bulky. Do you think Cinefoil would hinder or even help the transmission?

The one thing I think I'd like to have on the controller is a neck strap of some sort so I don't have to put the controller down when I need both hands for something for a moment or two. You seem to be very creative. Any ideas?

Thanks for your kind reply, The monitor I use - a Samsung Galaxy Tab "A"Tablet 10.1 inch.
A reasonable monitor but there are better available than this!

With my home made harness I am easily able to see the screen, controller and drone at all times.

If you look at the picture, you will see the two foam covered shoulder frames, these make the harness very stable and together with the resting pads for the wrists, make it easier to control the drone and more accurate than just using thumbs on sticks! I tried a neck strap, but not as accurate or comfortable on long flights.

As far as the Cinefoil goes, I think you would need to flight test your drone while holding a piece of the material near the RC controller in the vicinity of where it be situated when actually constructed.

Be ready to discard the Cinefoil if it threatens RC transmission and or Video reception.

Other than that all I can say is - if you desire a much more enjoyable flight experience, then this is definitely the way to go.
But Yes, simplify the design by all means and show us your end result!

mereflyer

DSCN1664.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair