DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Homemade landing pads.

putz

Reactions
So I had a little down time at work the other day and decided to design a couple of pads on the CNC. What do you think? The red one is 32" x 32" and is left in my back yard as a home landing spot. The yellow is a 24" circle and stays in my trunk for traveling flights. Both are made of 3/4" HDPE, so not the lightest but they definitely stay put on windy days.

So I had a little down time at work the other day and decided to design a couple of pads on the CNC. What do you think? The red one is 32" x 32" and is left in my back yard as a home landing spot. The yellow is a 24" circle and stays in my trunk for traveling flights. Both are made of 3/4" HDPE, so not the lightest but they definitely stay put on windy days.
Probably should have added the pics right? 20181117_114727.jpeg

Right :p:p:p

Reactions: Porky
I did pretty much the same thing but I split mine in half added hinges so it folds and slides nicely be hind my back seat, made fron 1/4" plywood.

Nothing against you, but why would one want to use a landing pad????
My MA has some short leg extensions, but normally I just catch it....

Reactions: RFaust
I hand catch too, I like them for take offs, so it can initialize, gimbals free, I can do the get ready etc. So we'll call them takeoff pads....

Nothing against you, but why would one want to use a landing pad????
My MA has some short leg extensions, but normally I just catch it....

The landing pad helps with precision landing. The drone takes a picture of where it took off and then compares that picture to what it sees when it returns to find the landing spot. So it's best to have a high contrast landing pad for the drone to see and recognize.

Make it out of 1/8th inch and let me know how much!! Serious, I hate the light ones flying all over the place. I'll send the money to do it. Bolton
I will see what I can do with thinner material. I also have a couple ideas with interlocking sections or hinges. I fully planned on selling these once I get them perfected. Right now the 3/4" red/white pad weighs about 25 pounds. So it lays in the back yard always.

My MA came with a landing pad, I haven't used it but I'm curious. Does this aid in landing, or perhaps I should ask, how often does a drone hit the pad?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000