DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Horizon tilt....me or the gimble?

Boxer1200

Reactions
I’ve noticed lately some horizon tilt. This is most noticeable trying to do a high orbit shot from 250-300’ with horizon. Is this something I’m doing wrong such as speed, or wind? Or is potentially something with the drone?

Could it be the angle of the drone when it's compensating against wind?

Does the angle change if you change the direction the drone is facing?

That was a thought I had. A combination of lateral speed and wind. Winds at the surface were around 5-8mph (8-13 kph). At that altitude with no obstructions, I’m sure they were much more.

Here’s the video. Not looking for composition or image critique. Let me know opinions on the horizon issue. Thanks.

That was a thought I had. A combination of lateral speed and wind. Winds at the surface were around 5-8mph (8-13 kph). At that altitude with no obstructions, I’m sure they were much more.

Here’s the video. Not looking for composition or image critique. Let me know opinions on the horizon issue. Thanks.

I'm not technical enough to answer that but does seem to level out as you move around and then start again as you get back to the direction at the start of the vid... Good excuse to test some more!!!

Composition/image critique?? Looks fantastic to me and better than most of what I've done ;)

My M2 Zoom does exactly the same thing. The horizon is level when flying with the stick straight up. The horizon tilts when flying with the stick in a diagonal position. (Up/left, or Up/right). It levels out when flying straight again. I think it's just a DJI feature.

Tried again at a slower speed. That helped. I think full stick to one direction was just too much lean for the gimble.

What’s really tuff is getting it smooth. Too high and too far for tripod mode. Would take all day to make the circle. Cinematic mode helps, but it seems my left thumb will twitch ever so slightly as I yaw causing the image to get jerky.

Mine does the exact same thing it seems like if you yaw A bit it straightens out.
I consider it a bug in the firmware.
So far no customers have complained.

I have a Pro and it has a controller function to adjust the horizon, as I remember. Mostly, I level horizons with Lightroom in post-processing.

I have a Pro and it has a controller function to adjust the horizon, as I remember. Mostly, I level horizons with Lightroom in post-processing.
Yeah but it’s not that if use the adjustment it just makes it worse because it’s only temporary.

Does it only happen when facing a certain direction? I'm having a very similar issue. When facing a very specific direction the gimbal will skew, any other direction and its fine. I can even rotate around quickly, having the horizon level, and it will stay level as long as I dont point in that direction...

Sample

Does it only happen when facing a certain direction? I'm having a very similar issue. When facing a very specific direction the gimbal will skew, any other direction and its fine. I can even rotate around quickly, having the horizon level, and it will stay level as long as I dont point in that direction...

Sample
I havent actually measured the direction but that sounds about like what’s happening if I yaw around thrn everything’s fine.

Recognize this problem with my M2Z too. I quite often succeed solving this by flying to left or right some times and than do a hard stop after which the horizon in leveled out again - works like 3 out of 4 times for me.

We’re glad to know it’s happening to others it’s pretty strange because most of the time it’s fine.

I sent mine in, according to DJI's repair team its the "Mavic 2 Pro Gimbal Axis Arm Module (RH) " thats being replaced. I don't have a lot of faith that is the problem. $235 if not under warranty.

I sent mine in, according to DJI's repair team its the "Mavic 2 Pro Gimbal Axis Arm Module (RH) " thats being replaced. I don't have a lot of faith that is the problem. $235 if not under warranty.
Me either but if it fixes it post to this thread and I’ll send mine in too. I think it’s a firmware bug.

Me either but if it fixes it post to this thread and I’ll send mine in too. I think it’s a firmware bug.

Given from what I've read, I'm most likely going to get a drone pulled off the "fixed" shelf with a new serial number. If I do It would have a different compass and internals so the diagnosis isnt necessarily the actual problem. I'll let yall know.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut