DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hot air balloon and car roof landing!

I would not recommend making a habit of car roof landing. Landing might be more okay than other maneuvers, but in general, taking off or flying really close to a car's metal body can interfere with the magnetic fields and confuse the compass readings. The Mavic has a tendency to fly first and ask questions later, when it gets confused about the compass.

I would not recommend making a habit of car roof landing. Landing might be more okay than other maneuvers, but in general, taking off or flying really close to a car's metal body can interfere with the magnetic fields and confuse the compass readings. The Mavic has a tendency to fly first and ask questions later, when it gets confused about the compass.

Many thanks for the reply, its always been fine tbh, and i've been flying quads and drones since long before gps was added to them so am more than capable of flying without gps if it drops out!!!.

I can't take off anywhere near my truck. The metal throws it off. Never tried landing on it but I know the metal of the truck interferes with it pretty bad.

Was the sky actually that pink or was there some color grading to get it to look like that? Wow.

i've been flying quads and drones since long before gps was added to them so am more than capable of flying without gps if it drops out!!!.
That's what gets people overconfident - the problem is that since the Mavic has no manually selectable ATTI mode you do NOT get a chance to fly without GPS until it decides to let you do so - it's during that phase where it does whatever crap it pleases while leaving you powerless that problems happen.
You really want to avoid changes in sensor availability with this craft.

Nice clip but not liking the grading at all unfortunately.

Reactions: DevonDrone
the problem is that since the Mavic has no manually selectable ATTI mode you do NOT get a chance to fly without GPS until it decides to let you do so
Flying without GPS is a piece of cake. The real fun kicks in when the Mavic starts interpreting bogus compass data as good data.

Yep that's exactly what I said, it's the few seconds where it still considers sensors are valid when they aren't and it does a complete mess before dropping out of GPS mode.

Not sure what's going on in this video but; okay.

All valid points :D Seems I've been lucky this far then!

I can't take off anywhere near my truck. The metal throws it off. Never tried landing on it but I know the metal of the truck interferes with it pretty bad.

Was the sky actually that pink or was there some color grading to get it to look like that? Wow.

Thanks, and yes some colour grading as the sky was a bit blown out :)

The description was in my 1st post tbh

I would like to be honest but when I am, my posts seems to get deleted by admins. Good Luck - Have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme