DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

hot spot how to iPad 5th generation wifi only from note 10plus

Gleno767

Reactions
Hi Guys
Big hello to everyone as im a first-time poster. my question is I have an iPad 5th generation wi fi only, so when I go out to fly and try to use waypoints I can't do it without cellular network. what I want to know is can I use my note 10 plus as a hotspot for the iPad to get access. I have tried to work it out but can't seem to make it happen. I just want to know if anyone has done this before and made it work. thanks in advance for any help given.
Regards Glen

Big hello to everyone as im a first-time poster. my question is I have an iPad 5th generation wi fi only, so when I go out to fly and try to use waypoints I can't do it without cellular network. what I want to know is can I use my note 10 plus as a hotspot for the iPad to get access. I have tried to work it out but can't seem to make it happen. I just want to know if anyone has done this before and made it work. thanks in advance for any help given.
Hotspotting will share an internet connection but it won't share GPS location data.
Do you really need GPS in your tablet to fly waypoints?
I haven't used DJI Go for waypoint flying but with Litchi the only GPS receiver you need is the perfectly good one in the drone.

Hi Guys
Regards Glen
You do not need GPS on your device for waypoint missions.

I don't think OP's issue was GPS related. I would think internet was the issue which using a hot-spot should work.

On the other hand, the app may need GPS to set up the mission.

Beside waypoints and/or GPS, I think using a hot spot would enable getting DJI clearance In NFZ. I have mini 5 WiFi only. To self unlock, I have to use iPhone for cellular then set up again with mini. If I use the phone as a hot spot, I maybe able to eliminate the double set up. Thoughts?

On the other hand, the app may need GPS to set up the mission.
And the only location data the app needs is the location of the drone.
Where the operator is makes no difference.

Thanks guys for all your thoughts, the issue I have is on android I can download offline maps but can't do this on apple. when I go to waypoints on the iPad on-site there is no map but can still run pre-saved waypoints, just can't change them as there is no map to see where im putting them. you can cache maps to apple but when you turn off iPad to travel you lose them. The second problem was DJI clearance In NFZ couldn't download on-site and I couldn't get into the DJI app. I ditched the iPad and gone back to Samsung tab a and all good, even if tab is slightly laggy still less hassle.
Glen
Ps - Ipad was wi fi only, whereas my Samsung tab can connect to the internet.

All you have to do is cache your map on the I device then go fly that easy

Yes but as he and many others observed, map cache on iOS is volatile. If you shut off the app, the cache is gone.

In Android though, the map cache is non-volatile. Even with Android powered off, the cache is still there.

Reactions: Gleno767
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S