DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hot weather warning for drones from the CAA

zocalo

Reactions
A timely reminder from the UK's CAA as we go into next week's heatwave, but probably worth re-posting since the last point about environmental impacts on the pilot seemed to catch quite a few people out in the CAA's pilot competency tests:

Excessive heat can cause component or battery failure, which can lead to a loss of control.

When flying your drone in hotter than normal weather you should:

• Check the maximum operating temperature for your drone.
  • Avoid unnecessary exposure to direct sunlight of your drone and controller.
  • Be aware of the impact of the hot weather on your own ability to fly your drone – take regular breaks and keep hydrated.
Stay safe *and* healthly over the next few days. Speaking from personal experience, dehydration and heat stroke (mild, fortunately) are not pleasant and can sneak up on you, so take care out there and fly from the shade wherever possible!

early morning or the last couple of hours before sunset are the best times to fly,managed to get my old trusty MPP up today ,bit to windy for Mini 1, but i should be able to get that up tomorrow,giving the Mini 3 a rest, as thats all i have been flying lately ,its ease of use is addictive flew 4 batteries through the old girl ,no issues with any part of the flights,which has been the norm since it was brand new,its still a great bit of kit ,stay safe out there ,and enjoy your flying

Reactions: AVLJMA and Rchawks
We have found that the Wet Suits keep the drone cooler in the direct sun light especially if you wet them down before you fly. Now I am in Ohio so we dont get past 95 degree weather, but I think its worth sharing for those that are Struggling with flying the Extreme Heat looking for a possible Solution.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and the Extreme Heat.
2021-12-10_15h33_20.png

Last edited:
We have found that the Wet Suits keep the drone cooler in the direct sun light especially if you wet them down before you fly. Now I am in Ohio so we dont get past 95 degree weather, but I think its worth sharing for those that are Struggling with flying the Extreme Heat looking for a possible Solution.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and the Extreme Heat.
View attachment 151808

If you think that's true you should offer a white or silver version. Most of yours are dark colors.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
If you think that's true you should offer a white or silver version. Most of yours are dark colors.
We do offer an all White Version of all the Wet Suits its just a Custom order as White not so easy to keep clean but we have them .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, keep your drones cool.

2022-07-15_15h49_43.png2022-02-17_20h08_32.pngScreenshot 08-03-2020 20.30.13.jpg

the sort of temps being forecast, are not something that are a regular occurrence her in the UK ,although they are probably quite often the norm ,in many other parts of the world,
for the CAA to put out a warning specifically to drone flyers here, is something i have never known in over 5 years of flying drones

the sort of temps being forecast, are not something that are a regular occurrence her in the UK
Not historically. Likely to become more common in the future.

I'd also add a warning to stay hydrated and watch out for heat exhaustion. As the pilot gets overheated their reaction time increases and their judgement becomes impaired.

Can't believe the UK is in for an expected 40c (104f) !!
That's getting dangerous for sure, and not the kind of temps to be flying in.
Really like quite regular summer temps here most years.

As OMM said, early morning best, and if the temps drop quickly (they don't here), after the sun dips in the arvo.

@Agustine ,the CAA were not telling anyone what to do ,it was advice that the high temps expected could have a detrimental affect on the pilots and drones performance ,it was no different to other warnings ,about the high temps ,that can impact on peoples ability to function
and as for reading the manuals,i agree that many don't not only read them ,they don't even know that they can download them from DJI ,and its those people who probably do not come on a forum like this

Hope you all survived the day.
We had a wintery 14c today here, having a very cold winter, ever in the more northerly cities like Brisbane.
The east coast of Australia has been inundated with rain too, flooding has probably hit the news in parts of the world.
The weather is very unseasonal in many places it seems.

Oh !
Don't forget to check on your neighbours, especially the older folk.
The way power prices are in many places, they won't use air conditioning or fans, so are more at risk.

Not historically. Likely to become more common in the future.

I'd also add a warning to stay hydrated and watch out for heat exhaustion. As the pilot gets overheated their reaction time increases and their judgement becomes impaired.
Very much more common. A scientist was saying that heat waves likes this (in Europe, not specifically the UK) should occur roughly once in every ~200 years, they're now saying that's more likely to be once in every ~15-30 years, and that's with a notional ~1C rise over the baseline, not the ~2C (or more) we are on track for with current emission rates. I can't even being to imagine what conditions are going to be like in areas where 40C temperatures are more common when they have a heatwave, or what kind of life expectancy you have if stuck outside in it.

I've experienced 40C+ on multiple occassions overseas, and even with acclimatization (e.g. when working for extended periods in the Middle East) is only ever been bearable, even without high humidity as well, which really makes it a killer. Plenty of hydration helps, but your core body temperature is still going to climb, and that's the real issue - you actually have quite a narrow range to operate in, outside which you slowing get more and more physically and mentally impaired. It's a gradual process too, kind of like slowly getting drunk; unless you are actively watching out for the signs you can go from feeling fine to being completely out of control without even realising it. The after effects, at least in my case, were similar to a hangover too - pounding headache, vomiting, unable to face food, physically weak, and generally feeling like crap.

Can't believe the UK is in for an expected 40c (104f) !!
That's getting dangerous for sure, and not the kind of temps to be flying in.
Really like quite regular summer temps here most years.

As OMM said, early morning best, and if the temps drop quickly (they don't here), after the sun dips in the arvo.

40 degrees C is a mild day here in Arizona. I remember leaving work in Phoenix back in 1990 when the all time record was set at 50 degrees C ... 122 degrees F. The blast of hot air as I left the air conditioned building was like a physical assault on my face. The airport had to shut down for several hours that day because the charts the pilots used to specify takeoff speed (air density is less at higher temperatures) didn't go that high at the time.

It was of course really dry, though, and to be honest less uncomfortable than some of the days I remember while growing up in Minneapolis. It would sometimes get close to 100 degrees F with relative humidity above 95%. Older people without air conditioning would literally die in their homes. I fear that those kind of conditions could happen in Europe now.

People should drink lots of water ... BEFORE you get thirsty, not after ... and if they should happen to really sweat a lot, a bit of salt (or better yet, some drink with electrolytes) to replenish what was lost can be important. I remember a forced march one day when I was in Missouri for army basic training (I was drafted) ... we literally were licking the salt off our arms to handle the headaches.

Sorry for the old tales ...

40 degrees C is a mild day here in Arizona. I remember leaving work in Phoenix back in 1990 when the all time record was set at 50 degrees C ... 122 degrees F. The blast of hot air as I left the air conditioned building was like a physical assault on my face. The airport had to shut down for several hours that day because the charts the pilots used to specify takeoff speed (air density is less at higher temperatures) didn't go that high at the time.

Yeah, but the UK is on roughly the same latitude as Newfoundland in Canada, or from the south of mainland Alaska up to Anchorage. Yes, there's the Gulf Stream, but still, this is extremely abnormal and many in the UK won't be used to this kind of heat and, as a result, how to recognize the signs that something is getting seriously amiss with their physical state.

I hear you on the 50C though; I experienced that while working in the UAE, and with 100% humidity as well - it was quite literally like being in a sauna outside. That was simply *awful*; just a walk across the street from the hotel to our favourite bar/restaurant and you were drenched in sweat - maybe 0.5l of bodily fluids gone, just like that! And this was after I'd been there a while and could quite happily go for a jog with the temperature in the upper 30s without breaking much of a sweat as long as it wasn't too humid. Equally as bad as the initial blast of heat was the transition back inside, with your damp clothes clinging to you and often making you feel like you were chilled to the bone as it evaporated off. I'm pretty sure that going back and forth over that kind of temperature delta doesn't do your wellbeing any favours either.

Reactions: AZDave
40 degrees C is a mild day here in Arizona. I remember leaving work in Phoenix back in 1990 when the all time record was set at 50 degrees C ... 122 degrees F.

It was of course really dry, though, and to be honest less uncomfortable than some of the days I remember while growing up in Minneapolis. It would sometimes get close to 100 degrees F with relative humidity above 95%.

50c is pretty regular in summer here in some outback towns, places inland adjacent the desert regions of Australia.
Some of those towns see businesses that cater to tourism simply shut down for 2 - 3 months or so, as almost no tourists venture into those areas through summer.

Here in South Australia, it's also a very dry heat, usually we get a heat wave through summer, sometimes 2, that's where we get 10 consecutive days pf 35c or more.
We usually get between 3 and say 6 days a year where we hit 42c / 43c.

I think I well prefer a dry heat like we get to humidity though.
Even 32c / 33c with near 100% humidity is hard to take.
I grew up in North Queensland (NE part of Australia) and remember touring in the topics at times.
You'd have a shower to cool down, and couldn't dry yourself off !!

Yes, if you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated, best to take in several litres a day, with small drinks often.
We are used to that here when working in the heat of summer.

@Agustine ,the CAA were not telling anyone what to do ,it was advice that the high temps expected could have a detrimental affect on the pilots and drones performance ,it was no different to other warnings ,about the high temps ,that can impact on peoples ability to function
and as for reading the manuals,i agree that many don't not only read them ,they don't even know that they can download them from DJI ,and its those people who probably do not come on a forum like this
I suppose it nice they provide that information, my point is we need more educated pilots that perform their due diligence and complete their flight checks which one of them should be operating their drone with in the specified temperature specs that is located in the manual.
Put on your sun screen, enjoy the day as I don't think you guys get much sunshine there do you? Seems to be always raining or windy from the posts on here.

I was flying near Great Salt Lake in Utah last week. Temperature was around 100F. My M2P worked great, but my OnePlus phone, which was controlling the flight, became overheated and the display dimmed so much that I had to abort the flight.

I was flying near Great Salt Lake in Utah last week. Temperature was around 100F. My M2P worked great, but my OnePlus phone, which was controlling the flight, became overheated and the display dimmed so much that I had to abort the flight.
Yes phones or tablets can be the weak link for sure. iOS phone are really bad for the heat problem.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121