DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hover a while!

flightlogic

Reactions
I get the weekly updates on favorite posts. So many outline a mishap after starting power, and start flying.
I fly planes for work... after starting there is always a checklist to run through. Takes some time and makes the line guys tap their feet and look bored... before you start to taxi.
I suspect if drone pilots hovered a while... ran through an appropriate checklist and then continue to climb, they would lose less drones.

I check my check list before I take off then lift off hover long enough to see if it’s drifting do a 360 yaw then I’m gone.
Im always monitoring my gauges but other than that I fly like I stole it but that’s just me ?

I check my check list before I take off then lift off hover long enough to see if it’s drifting do a 360 yaw then I’m gone.
Im always monitoring my gauges but other than that I fly like I stole it but that’s just me ?
Wondering how important it is to hear the lady say "your home point has been updated?"

I get the weekly updates on favorite posts. So many outline a mishap after starting power, and start flying.
I fly planes for work... after starting there is always a checklist to run through. Takes some time and makes the line guys tap their feet and look bored... before you start to taxi.
I suspect if drone pilots hovered a while... ran through an appropriate checklist and then continue to climb, they would lose less drones.
Plane as in ones you can hop in?

Have owned a dozen types of planes over 45 years. The RV series is by far the best.
Great speed and low fuel burn.
Got into drones big time a couple years ago. Over purchased....
Now have a M2 zoom for sale and a couple of P4's.
The standard M2 pro is my keeper. Took it to Iceland, Croatia, Bosnia, recently. All fun to fly in!

Wondering how important it is to hear the lady say "your home point has been updated?"
For hearing people I suppose quite, for myself I have never heard her lol, I watch for the appropriate light show from the LED's.
That said, it is now my habit to fly out a short distance and then initiate an RTH, just to see where the drone thinks the homepoint is. It only takes maybe 30 seconds or so and might save some panic if it isn't where it is expected to be and the drone was doing s 'real' RTH.
If the homepoint is not where it should be you can always bring the drone overhead and reset the homepoint to the drone's location etc, etc.

For hearing people I suppose quite, for myself I have never heard her lol, I watch for the appropriate light show from the LED's.
That said, it is now my habit to fly out a short distance and then initiate an RTH, just to see where the drone thinks the homepoint is. It only takes maybe 30 seconds or so and might save some panic if it isn't where it is expected to be and the drone was doing s 'real' RTH.
If the homepoint is not where it should be you can always bring the drone overhead and reset the homepoint to the drone's location etc, etc.
I suppose there are a few benefits to that if you choose to be an optimist, such as no crying children, noisy neighbours, nothing to wake you up in the middle of the night.
But then there is also the issue… If you fly FPV you could fly into your own head without hearing it…
But anyway, not trying to make fun in any way, just a thought. Hope things turn out well for you and you find ways around the possible issues.

Reactions: BSauce955
complacency when it comes to putting something in the air to fly ,is just asking for trouble
just because our drones are unmanned does not mean that they lack the potential to cause harm
the small amount of time it takes to do your pre flight checks to not just the aircraft but also your surroundings is time well spent
its not possible to 100 percent guarantee that nothing will go wrong ,it sure helps to minimise that from happening ,as much as possible

I have an app named Drone Checklist. It has 5 sections to it - Mission Planning, Aircraft Visual Inspection, Pre-flight, Flight & Post-Misson. When I first started flying, I used it a lot. Now that have some stick time, I don't as often, but I have it on my phone. Sometimes, when I'm sitting and watching TV, I'll pull it out to refresh my memory. Then I do what @dirkclod does. I check the blades when I'm done, let the Mini2 cool off a little (not that's real hot) before packing up.

I have an app named Drone Checklist. It has 5 sections to it - Mission Planning, Aircraft Visual Inspection, Pre-flight, Flight & Post-Misson. When I first started flying, I used it a lot. Now that have some stick time, I don't as often, but I have it on my phone. Sometimes, when I'm sitting and watching TV, I'll pull it out to refresh my memory. Then I do what @dirkclod does. I check the blades when I'm done, let the Mini2 cool off a little (not that's real hot) before packing up.
I'm a big fan of checklists.

I use Drone Pilot Canada, which includes checklists. Not nearly as useful if you're flying somewhere other than Canada, but the checklists, flight logs, and DJI maps work anywhere. (The Transport Canada maps are, obviously, specific to Canada.)

Yeah... like the one on my photo. It is an RV9A. Experimental two seater.
Experimental as in waiting to see if it'll fall out of the sky or not?

Have owned a dozen types of planes over 45 years. The RV series is by far the best.
Great speed and low fuel burn.
Got into drones big time a couple years ago. Over purchased....
Now have a M2 zoom for sale and a couple of P4's.
The standard M2 pro is my keeper. Took it to Iceland, Croatia, Bosnia, recently. All fun to fly in!
I envy how casually you mention "a couple Phantom 4's" lol

Or if you understood the data available on your screen, this would not be necessary.
The distance shown on your screen is the distance the drone is from the homepoint.
There's absolutely no need to do an RTH test to find out where the homepoint is set.

There's absolutely no need to do an RTH test to find out where the homepoint is set.
I think we have discussed this before, I am satisfied with my approach and you with yours,.
I prefer actually seeing where the homepoint is, especially when I am required to get the drone into the air so that it can obtain sufficient satellites to establish its position.
My approach does no harm and it may benefit to others.
Besides, if I am mistaken, for what ever reason, as to where I believe the homepoint to be located my approach will correct it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair