DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How animals react to a drone, (up for review)

What could I have done better?

• Length

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Music

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Editing

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Color grading

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • nothing

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Not make it at all?

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters
Still, I have seen videos where deer run like crazy from a drone, in this case they didn't, maybe because I didn't keep chasing them*.

*Don't chase deer, (but you mat follow them like I did)

• Haha
Reactions: CJH92474
Still, I have seen videos where deer run like crazy from a drone, in this case they didn't, maybe because I didn't keep chasing them*.

*Don't chase deer, (but you mat follow them like I did)
I think this falls under the general heading of harrassing wildlife. Not good for them, us as a community, or you if a game warden is around.

I think this falls under the general heading of harrassing wildlife. Not good for them, us as a community, or you if a game warden is around.
Naa, I agree totally that actually chasing deer, or any other animal with a drone for no reason is not something you should or may do, but what I did was slowly come closer, not any worse than if I had come closer myself, then after they withdrew I didn't pursue them or in any other way scare them more, I think if a person had come that close they would have been much more scared, (at least the ducks and the deer)... A predator flying above them, (much farther away), (and totally natural), would have given them much more fear than a little strange looking bird with four props...

Next video, how to fly near planes.

Not really seeing the purpose of the video... other than self incrimination.

Can someone explain the difference between following a fleeing deer and chasing a deer?

I was afraid it would devolve into this debate.

Keep it civil and leave the rudeness and heavy sarcasm out of it and we'll be fine.

I think this was in poor taste to say the least. You gain nothing by flying that close to them. Understandable and sometimes unavoidable when you accidentally come across wildlife and scare them. But what you did here was deliberate and that makes it not ok for me. You may think it is not harassment because you were not scaring them more once they already got scared and run away but that makes no sense. Why scare them in the first place? Wouldn't the video have been far more intersting had you filmed from a little distance?

I think this was in poor taste to say the least. You gain nothing by flying that close to them. Understandable and sometimes unavoidable when you accidentally come across wildlife and scare them. But what you did here was deliberate and that makes it not ok for me. You may think it is not harassment because you were not scaring them more once they already got scared and run away but that makes no sense. Why scare them in the first place? Wouldn't the video have been far more intersting had you filmed from a little distance?
When animals run/fly away from a threatening stimulus, they are using energy. Energy comes from food. Much of the time animals e.g., male deer or elk, lactating mothers, live on the edge of malnutrition. (See, I avoided sarcasm and was rational.)

When animals run/fly away from a threatening stimulus, they are using energy. Energy comes from food. Much of the time animals e.g., male deer or elk, lactating mothers, live on the edge of malnutrition. (See, I avoided sarcasm and was rational.)
All fine and good, but why did you quote me?

Big A 107 had said to avoid sarsasm. Hence my comment. Obviously I ran too many ideas too close together. Thanks for your patience.

I should have researched my Screen Name more... My Real Life nickname is Big Al and when I joined a "Saltwater/Reef" forum was in 2007 (originally I was BigAl01) my go-to screen name BigAl01 was taken so I used the 07. Many times people (more so in a drone forum where Part 107 is commonly discussed) say it Big A 107 :)

Reactions: brett8883 and MKurr
I recorded a black bear last fall . The bear was in a cut block , I lowered the drone down from 300 feet to about 75 feet before he even looked at it . He then went about his business eating bugs and ants and didn’t look up one more time in the 5 minutes I watched him . But I didn’t get close to him

I have a powered parachute tht doesn't scare deer or other animals at all. They just look at it wondering what it is, no fear even down to 50'. I wonder what a drone scared them? Maybe they're used the the sound of a gas engine & not the pitch of electric.

Reactions: MKurr
I recorded a black bear last fall . The bear was in a cut block , I lowered the drone down from 300 feet to about 75 feet before he even looked at it . He then went about his business eating bugs and ants and didn’t look up one more time in the 5 minutes I watched him . But I didn’t get close to him
I've bear hunted alot & they Own the world.

Reactions: MKurr
I have a powered parachute tht doesn't scare deer or other animals at all. They just look at it wondering what it is, no fear even down to 50'. I wonder what a drone scared them? Maybe they're used the the sound of a gas engine & not the pitch of electric.
Most animals have a much more acute sense of hearing than humans; what is annoying for a human may sound terrifying for an animal.

As small, commercially available drones become cheaper and more reliable, scientists are exploring their potential as a tool for a variety of wildlife research and monitoring activities. Drones offer a unique aerial viewpoint, and their ability to carry cameras or other sensors as they move overhead enable them to scan an area from a range of angles.

I will be working with an PhD ecologist this summer to help survey wildlife populations over 2000 acres of private property using my M2P and his P3P. My main task will be teaching him how to use his P3P safely and setting up grid flight paths to be flown with Litchi.

We will take all appropriate measures to not spook the wildlife (deer, elk and moose)

Reactions: MKurr and BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98