DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How are people doing dolly zoom with a digital zoom?

rabidhyena

Reactions
Hi all,
I'm a little confused. I thought dolly zoom was a trick using the optical elements of an optical zoom. I thought a digital zoom would not work as its simply cropping the image.
Yet-
Is this a misleading video? Maybe a mavic pro 2 zoom mislabeled as a mini 2?

Dolly zoom can be achieved with digital zoom, just like using optical zoom.

Other than decreased resolution there is no fundamental difference in the image when digital zoom is used compared to optical. Both reduce the field of view. The dolly zoom effect is simply reduction of field of view combined with an increase in distance from the obejct/scene (or opposite) so it doesn't matter how that reduction/increase in field of view is achieved.

I thought dolly zoom entirely worked by the effect of an optical zoom creating lens compression.
(Lens compression is essentially the phenomenon of background elements appearing larger than they actually are – hence the scene becomes “distorted” since those background elements appear closer and larger than they are in real life)
I think its a technical thing. Ill just have try it, if it works, I don't have to worry about why it works

Lens compression is simply a result of the camera being further away from both the foreground and background of the image and doesn't matter whether you use a wide angle, tele or zoom lens.

For example, you use a wide angle lens and take a photo of a scene with a prominent object in the foreground - lets say a tree in a field. You are quite close to the tree and relatively far from the background objects. If you then move a lot further away from the tree and take another photo with the exact same lens and crop out just the centre of the image so that the tree fills the same amount of the frame. You'll note that much less of the background is visible and what backround does remain in the cropped picture appears to be larger than in the 1st photo. it's all about the rules of perspective and the relative distances between the camera, foreground and background. If you're far away from one and close to the other their relative size differences are big. If you're far away from both the relative size differences are much smaller.

Try getting your phone, fire up the camera and pinch-zoom in as you move away from an object on your desk. You'll be able to replicate a dolly zoom effect. It's hard to get a smooth zoom with pinch-zooming so the effect is a bit shaky ?

The effect is a result of the change in field of view and positioning, the way the field of view is changed (optically or digitally) doesn't matter.

Reactions: scro
If you're good at video editing, the Vertigo effect can be achieved in post with any drone or camera.

Not my video but is a member.

Reactions: Zbip57
This is a great how to video....thank you for posting this!

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore