DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can I file a complaint with the FAA concerning a low-level flyover?

Marko9219

Reactions
Just now, 2 military Blackhawks flew over my house WELL BELOW 500 ft! This is not a low-level flight area,, and as a drone pilot, this crap scares the hell out of me! I will estimate they were 300 ft. I want to file an official complaint.

Helicopters can fly below 500ft as long as they aren't operated in a manner hazardous to people or property on the ground. As a drone operator, you have to give way regardless of height.

Seems rather risky. Basically they rely on drone pilots and hope that they won't be flying fpv/will see the aircraft.

Drones are low on the totem pole of priority. If you don't see the helicopter, it's your fault. If you're flying non-VLOS, it's your fault.

I know that. It doesn't change the fact that drone pilots are not all responsible and I don't think it is safe to rely on them to be safe. Doesn't matter who's at fault if a drone owner crashes an helicopter because he was flying BVLOS.

Good luck with that. I’ve had my drone up in the police dept parking lot memorial weekend and three military jets flew right above me. I didn’t have a chance to react because I saw it first, then the noise followed [emoji15]. By the time I turned around my drone, i caught the tail ends of the jets and they were within 10-20 feet of being level with my bird. I was only up 180’ above me when this happened. I took a picture and brought the drone down and went home I was so shaken...
the ANG does flights out of the blue seems like and there’s nothing you can do.
I now have traffic choppers flying low around here. At least you can hear them coming.

Helicopters can fly below 500ft as long as they aren't operated in a manner hazardous to people or property on the ground. As a drone operator, you have to give way regardless of height.
You're positive that 2 Blackhawks can pass 300 ft over a neighborhood while flying from pt A to pt B? No take offs, no landings, just straight, level flying?

Reactions: PeterTheVet
I found the pics I took. Original, and zoomed in and circled.

IMG_5348.JPG

IMG_5349.JPG

These were lower when they past and started climbing. They came and did another fly by a few minutes later.

Do those rules apply to the plane and helicopter jockeys that fly the pipelines and powerlines? We have 4 pipelines and 2 double standard powerlines around here that get flown once a week or so. Sure looks like those guys aren't over 250-300' high.

It doesn't mention any exceptions.

Just now, 2 military Blackhawks flew over my house WELL BELOW 500 ft! This is not a low-level flight area,, and as a drone pilot, this crap scares the **** out of me! I will estimate they were 300 ft. I want to file an official complaint.
Good luck with that. Helicopters can fly lower. Nothing will happen with your complaint.

As a drone pilot, YOU have a responsibility to see and avoid all manned aircraft.

Reactions: bristp
You will prob find that they had clearance for the flight which will probably negate your complaint, but if the FAA is like CASA they will have a reporting process that will be easy enough for you to submit

Military helicopters fly low over my area all the time. They rattle the windows in my house as they pass over. Due to the hilly landscape they can appear quickly giving me little time to react.... and I'm sure my drone would be the same problem for them. When agricultural copters are spraying, I often can look down at them when standing in my back yard as they fly just above the tree levels.

Reactions: sitka_rn
Just now, 2 military Blackhawks flew over my house WELL BELOW 500 ft! This is not a low-level flight area,, and as a drone pilot, this crap scares the **** out of me! I will estimate they were 300 ft. I want to file an official complaint.
Just tell the FAA it was a big drone flying low! Lol!

Reactions: CaseyH and Brojon
If they are military, they may very well be doing a fly-by for a school or such. They may also be doing a low level recon for a future mission. They may be doing a thousand things including hot dogging outside their brief. The FAA more or less ignores complaints about helicopter complaints unless they're stupid dangerous and too far obvious to be ignored. Here's what they have to say about it:

(d) ·Helicopters. ·Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed In paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator. ·Helicopter operations may be conducted below the minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft. The reason? The helicopter's unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is its ability to execute pinpoint emergency landings during power failure. Further, the helicopter's increased use by law enforcement and emergency medical service agencies requires added flexibility in the application of many FAA provisions.

Check out the app flightradar24 you can see what kinda craft it is where its going and where it cam from. I use it because I fly out in the desert m mountains and got tired of getting caught off guard. You can even turn on AR mode and just hold your camera in the vicinity and it will show the info.

Reactions: Tinmania

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143