DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can I get permission to fly Class D airspace?

corneliuslasvegas

Reactions
I have the Kittyhawk app as a way to request LAANC permission to fly the DJI done. My house is 2.4 miles from a municipal airport with a tower. The app shows I'm in 5-ClassD airspace. When I try to request LAANC permission it won't let me because it says the "permission for altitude authorization" is "0 feet". How am I suppose to use the drone near my house? Is it even possible?

Also second question...is it possible for me to get monthly or yearly permission to fly or do I have to get a LAANC every time I fly? That would be really annoying.

You need to request access through the FAA Dronezone. See the later part of this thread: Flying Very Close to Airport.
Whether or not you will even be able to get clearance and for how long depends on exactly where you are in relation to the airport traffic patterns. If you want to share where you are folks here may be able to offer more advice.

I used Air Map for all of mine requests...(Indianapolis International Airport - Class C ), and the other regional airports here in Indiana.

also at the Class D's (Bloomington, Columbus, etc. here in Indiana)

Also at Charlotte International Airport, North Carolina)

Last edited:
I used Air Map...(Indianapolis International Airport), and the other regional airports here in Indiana.
The advice above applies to all LAANC providers. They can only provide clearance up to the altitude authorization for the location. In a 0 altitude zone you have to use FAA DroneZone, and you must have a part 107 certificate.

You could call the airport manager and she/he will tell you what you need to know. You should also get your part 107 cert. to understand the rules of the airspace you want to fly in.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
You could call the airport manager and she/he will tell you what you need to know. You should also get your part 107 cert. to understand the rules of the airspace you want to fly in.
The airport manager may or may not know what is needed, but is not the authoritative source of information, which is via FAADroneZone, as correctly noted above, where the recreational dashboard states the following:

grab237.png

Airport Managers don't have permission (or usually knowledge) to facilitate airspace permissions for drone folks.

As other have mentioned, you either need to apply for a manual LAANC request, or use the Drone Zone to apply for an airspace authorization.

Also second question...is it possible for me to get monthly or yearly permission to fly or do I have to get a LAANC every time I fly? That would be really annoying.
If you are a 107, you can apply for a long term 107.41 Airspace Authorization. For that, I do advise that you talk to the airport's ATC Manager. They're the ones responsible for the airspace around the airport.

Some are willing to work with drone pilots and some aren't. But you will need a 107. Another option is called a Letter Of Agreement (LOA) between you and the airport. There are a few (very few) ATC managers that are willing to do that with drone owners, but most aren't. And if you don't ask, the answer is definitely "no".

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent