DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can I install two different versions of DJI Fly on the same Android 11 phone?

JC_Wang

Reactions
Dear all experts,

I tried to install one version on personal account and another version on work account onto the same smartphone with Android 11 system installed, but the app on the work profile can't download the resource files. So I only can run one version on personal account.

Anyone ever installed two different versions of DJI Fly on the same Android 11 phone?

I would:
  1. Download the second version apk to your computer.
  2. Open the apk with a text editor (like edit pad lite).
  3. change the app name (it will look something like "com.app.appname" to something like "com.app.appname123"
  4. upload to a cloud drive (such as Google Drive)
  5. Download to your phone and install. (you could also sideload it from your PC with a USB cable).

I would:
  3. change the app name (it will look something like "com.app.appname" to something like "com.app.appname123"
  5. Download to your phone and install. (you could also sideload it from your PC with a USB cable).
I followed your instructions to open 1.2.2 apk using EditPad Lite 8, but I can't find com.app in the content. Could you please give me more detailed information?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 18
I believe an APK is a zip file containing other files.
Editing a compress file with a text editor wouldn't work as the text would be in compressed bytes. You'll probably encounter a checksum problem to boot.

Reactions: JC_Wang
I would:
That's not going to work. What you are talking about is changing the bundle name, which is compiled into the application. Even if you change the string value in the .apk file with a binary file editor, the app will no longer run because the digital signing will be invalid.

There are apps that allow making "clones" of apps, basically they take the apk apart, change the bundle identifier, change paths to additional data on sd if necessary and rebuild/resign the apk automatically.

Last edited:
What you are doing is quite dangerous to the health of your drone. Early on there were multiple incidents when multiple phone/tablet control software packages were running on the same device eg go and Litchi.
At least on the Apple device, when you stop an app, it does not completely stop, but runs in the background. This would cause strange control problems. The only fix was to completely shut down the app by swiping up.

Dear all experts,

I tried to install one version on personal account and another version on work account onto the same smartphone with Android 11 system installed, but the app on the work profile can't download the resource files. So I only can run one version on personal account.

Anyone ever installed two different versions of DJI Fly on the same Android 11 phone?

There are apps that allow making "clones" of apps, basically they take the apk apart, change the bundle identifier, change paths to additional data on sd if necessary and rebuild/resign the apk automatically.
As soon as you do that, you have broken the security of the app. You are now trusting that the clone app isn't adding any malware to your apk.

When an update comes out, you'll have to repeat the process of changing the bundle ID.

And as @Dave Maine mentioned, having two apps both running background services in communication with your drone is asking to have some conflict issue pop up.

I think the better question is why the OP needs to have 2 copies of the same app on one device.

Reactions: JC_Wang and Gagey52
As soon as you do that, you have broken the security of the app. You are now trusting that the clone app isn't adding any malware to your apk.

When an update comes out, you'll have to repeat the process of changing the bundle ID.

And as @Dave Maine mentioned, having two apps both running background services in communication with your drone is asking to have some conflict issue pop up.

I think the better question is why the OP needs to have 2 copies of the same app on one device.
That is the question why would you have two of the same app on one device? Looking forward to the answer.
Regards

What kind of clone apps?

What kind of clone apps?
Just do a search on Google for "app clone" or "apk clone". As an iOS and Android developer, it is a phenomenally bad idea to do this.

You still haven't said why you want to have multiple copies of the same app on the same device. If you need to keep your work data and personal data separate, just use a second device like a tablet. If you are doing this on a work device, you would be probably be violating your company's IT policy by enabling installation by unknown sources.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag