DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can i prevent my side port from breaking again ?

Eagle430

Reactions
I own a mavic 2 pro and as a new owner I manage to break the side port on my controller , My controller is at Dji repair center for repairing at the moment, I have read that this is a common issue for someone that is not aware of how fragile the side -charging port of the controller is

I want to ask how can i prevent it from happening again since this side port is also used for charging the controller so it will be used frequently ?

I 've read that you can do that by adding a magnetic micro usb cable on the controller's port and keep it there all the time. I haven't found any for sale , anyone having any link for this? also if it's kept on the side port all the time , can i use the back usb port of the controller for flying my drone? I have read that the two ports on the controller can not be active at the same time?
Also any other things I can do to protect the side port from breaking again ? (other than been very careful when placing the charging cable on it)

You uses the side port for charging only ... & the back full size USB port for attaching your mobile device.

Then... a magnetic USB cable end is known for disturbing your left stick input as the mechanism there is a Hall-Effect sensor ... A sensor like that is a device that measure the magnitude of a magnetic field & then output voltage in direct proportion to the magnetic field strength through it. Not good at all to have a magnetic object near that ...

Hate to hear that been using one for charging over a year.
If not mistaken @Thomas B also does but might be mistaken.
Have not seen no issues at all with mine.
Not saying it can’t just saying that’s what I’ve experienced.
I never take it out.
Added/ just looked and started useing it Nov of 18.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Usually the problem occurs when the plug that gets used is 180 degrees off and gets forced into the port backwards.
I have always been very watchful of this issue. One solution would be to put a spot of white paint on the up facing side of whatever plug/cable is being used.

Usually the problem occurs when the plug that gets used is 180 degrees off and gets forced into the port backwards.
I have always been very watchful of this issue. One solution would be to put a spot of white paint on the up facing side of whatever plug/cable is being used.
I second this. It’s not so much that the port is fragile. It’s more due to the USB Mini style plug being a poor idea simply based on its form factor. I make sure each time that the orientation is correct and carefully plug it in.

I tried the magnetic option, but the one that I got always came out when I removed the actual cable end from it, so I was always putting it back in anyway. Finally tossed it. IMO, the best thing is to make sure the orientation is correct and be careful.

I tried the magnetic option, but the one that I got always came out when I removed the actual cable end from it, so I was always putting it back in anyway.
That happened to me a few times and figured out not to pull it straight out but down to disconnect it.

Hate to hear that been using one for charging over a year.
If not mistaken @Thomas B also does but might be mistaken.
Have not seen no issues at all with mine.
Not saying it can’t just saying that’s what I’ve experienced.
I never take it out.
Added/ just looked and started useing it Nov of 18.
If you mean the magnetic USB cable end ... yeah, then perhaps your model isn't enough magnetic to disturb the hall-sensor. This isn't anything that sneaks in ... if the magnetic end cause a problem it will most likely do it from start ... think you're safe ;)

?‍♂️All I know is this one has never caused me no issues.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Reactions: slup
I use a magnetic cable for charging My M2P controller & my Smart Controller leaving the connector permanently in the port.
I have had no problems at all with magnetic interference.
I only use the side port on the M2P controller for charging.

Reactions: dirkclod
I was looking for micro usb cable options, is it a micro usb type A or
type C that I should buy ?

I was looking for micro usb cable options, is it a micro usb type A or
type C that I should buy ?
You buy a cable with either of the 2 green marked connectors in one end, & a connector that fits your mobile device in the other end.

Then you use the RC connection in the back/mid position for for connecting the mobile device ... & save the USB Micro connection on the left side for charging only.

1617266011938.png

Is this a reversible usb cable? Do you have a link where you bought it from? Also I assume with this cable you use a wall socket for charging the controller?
It’s like Slup showed you it’s a USB mini and the USB end I just use
the supplied charger for the drone battery to plug in.
Just looked in my Amazon history and that particular one is not available anymore but there are others .
There are several old threads on this and also the issue Slup mentioned. If I can find one I will link it back to this post.
Ok just look in our search for magnetic charging and you will see lots and let me say I only use it for charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
You buy a cable with either of the 2 green marked connectors in one end, & a connector that fits your mobile device in the other end.

Then you use the RC connection in the back/mid position for for connecting the mobile device ... & save the USB Micro connection on the left side for charging only.

View attachment 126575
Yes i know that
but you can not charge the controller from the back usb

Yes i know that
but you can not charge the controller from the back usb
Yep, that's the case ...

You don't have so many alternatives for charging, it's only the side port that can be used for that... so either cation is needed when putting in & taking out the cable or you take your chances & buy a magnetic USB-micro cable end that can be left in there permanently & hope that it will not interfere with the stick Hall-Effect sensor (it will show up immediately if it will be a problem & can be seen directly on the stick calibration page in the app).

But by just use the side connection for charging you've taken away very much of the possible wear coming from having the mobile device attached there also.

USB.jpg

If DJI had used a normal Micro USB there would be no problem.
Did they do this deliberately to make money for repairs or replacement controllers

View attachment 126575
Thx for posting this picture. I just downloaded and printed it keep with my usb collection - because usb connectors keep changing so fast I can't remember them all.

Reactions: slup
I own a mavic 2 pro and as a new owner I manage to break the side port on my controller , My controller is at Dji repair center for repairing at the moment, I have read that this is a common issue for someone that is not aware of how fragile the side -charging port of the controller is

I want to ask how can i prevent it from happening again since this side port is also used for charging the controller so it will be used frequently ?

I 've read that you can do that by adding a magnetic micro usb cable on the controller's port and keep it there all the time. I haven't found any for sale , anyone having any link for this? also if it's kept on the side port all the time , can i use the back usb port of the controller for flying my drone? I have read that the two ports on the controller can not be active at the same time?
Also any other things I can do to protect the side port from breaking again ? (other than been very careful when placing the charging cable on it)
Note that I hot glued a right angle micro usb to the controller and the other end has a male usb.

Attachments

• BT 300.jpg
    BT 300.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa