DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can I remove the altitude and distance limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eappell

Reactions
I've used my Mini 2 a few times and every time I use it I find that I am limited in altitude and distance. I believe the altitude limit is 100m and the distance is 250m. I've logged in on the Fly app, and it's not set to beginner mode, so I don't know how to remove those limitations. Clearly people are flying higher and further than this, but I've searched and searched and have had no luck finding the setting that will disable those limitations. Can someone help? Thanks!

There are settings in the Fly App for altitude and distance.. look for those under Safety if I recall.

It's 2 ways to reach those settings ...

Either through clicking the status indicator ...

1628630093892.png

Or through the main menu in the Safety tab ...

1628630140505.png

I did change those settings the last time I flew, but when it hit 500m away it stopped with a warning, even though the setting was far beyond that (I think 5000m is what I set it to). I'll try it again to see exactly what happens, but what I remember (it was a couple weeks ago) was that I set it much higher, but it still stopped when it hit those very low limitations.

I did change those settings the last time I flew, but when it hit 500m away it stopped with a warning, even though the setting was far beyond that (I think 5000m is what I set it to). I'll try it again to see exactly what happens, but what I remember (it was a couple weeks ago) was that I set it much higher, but it still stopped when it hit those very low limitations.
Can you still see the drone at 500m (over 1600 ft.) away?

I've used my Mini 2 a few times and every time I use it I find that I am limited in altitude and distance. I believe the altitude limit is 100m and the distance is 250m.
Those numbers don't match any of the usual causes for altitude/distance limitation.
Perhaps you were mistaken about the numbers?
If you post flight data, that will show what the actual numbers were and might give some clues to work out the cause.

Those numbers don't match any of the usual causes for altitude/distance limitation.
Perhaps you were mistaken about the numbers?
If you post flight data, that will show what the actual numbers were and might give some clues to work out the cause.
I will fly again in the next day or two and post the flight data here. Thank you!

Distance wise if the controller disconnects from the drone, it will come back regardless of what the setting is. That can happen for a number of reasons (e.g. interference). Height wise you might be limited by local regulations (e.g. I cannot go above 120m).

Note you're also likely limited by local regulations distance wise too.

Distance wise if the controller disconnects from the drone, it will come back regardless of what the setting is. That can happen for a number of reasons (e.g. interference). Height wise you might be limited by local regulations (e.g. I cannot go above 120m).

Hmmm... I've flown my Mini 2 in several places, hundreds of miles apart, and the limitation is always the same. I also check B4UFly every time to be sure I'm not in a restricted area.

...every time I use it I find that I am limited in altitude and distance...
I will fly again in the next day or two and post the flight data here...

If you always have had these limitations ... why not just take the last log you already have in the mobile device you flew with the last time, no need to wait until the next flight.

Go here --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help & upload the log & come back & share the link they provide ... instructions where to find the mobile device .TXT log (for both Android & Apple devices) a bit down on the same page.

If you always have had these limitations ... why not just take the last log you already have in the mobile device you flew with the last time, no need to wait until the next flight.

Go here --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help & upload the log & come back & share the link they provide ... instructions where to find the mobile device .TXT log (for both Android & Apple devices) a bit down on the same page.
Thank you! I didn't realize I could do that. Looks like I need to connect my iPhone to my Mac, which is at home. I will do it later today when I get home, and I will share the link when I do that. Thanks again!

Hmmm... I've flown my Mini 2 in several places, hundreds of miles apart, and the limitation is always the same. I also check B4UFly every time to be sure I'm not in a restricted area.

I presume your ‘several places’ are in the same country though? Apart from restricted areas/zones, it’s only changing country that would impact these restrictions.

I presume your ‘several places’ are in the same country though? Apart from restricted areas/zones, it’s only changing country that would impact these restrictions.
Yes, the US. If these were being dictated by US regulations/limitations, how would there be so many others in the US that don't have the same limitations? Also, I've flown other drones and have experienced no such limitations.

Doesn’t answer the OP’s question. Let’s stay on track. ?
You are correct.

However, the OP just joined this forum yesterday and states that he's flown his Mini 2 "a few times". It appears that he could potentially fly beyond VLOS (in post #4 he says he thinks he set the limit at 5000m). If that is the case, I wanted to make sure he knows that he must maintain VLOS at all times, or be in violation of FAA regs.

My intent was only to pass along info related to his post which asked, "How can I remove the altitude and distance limits?"

My bad...

Reactions: mmoguls
Yes, the US. If these were being dictated by US regulations/limitations, how would there be so many others in the US that don't have the same limitations? Also, I've flown other drones and have experienced no such limitations.
Per my first reply, my point is your drone is likely not stopping due to distance limitations, it's likely stopping due to limitations/interference between your controller and the drone itself (e.g. the Air2S has a 12KM transmission range but I doubt anyone will get close to that). If you can share your logs as suggested, someone will happily help explain what happened.

Height wise you might be limited by local regulations (e.g. I cannot go above 120m).

How would the drone or controller know what the local regulations are?

I find a screen recorder such as xrecorder is a useful tool, it provides you with a visual record of what is appearing on and disappearing from your screen with out having to decypher logs.
Does then Mini 2's fly app give a warning of flying beyond probable visual line of sight? If so could you be confusing that with a distance limit? Though 500m is a bit close for a VLOS range warning, on a good day my eyes can track a Mavic Mini out to 600m.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct.

However, the OP just joined this forum yesterday and states that he's flown his Mini 2 "a few times". It appears that he could potentially fly beyond VLOS (in post #4 he says he thinks he set the limit at 5000m). If that is the case, I wanted to make sure he knows that he must maintain VLOS at all times, or be in violation of FAA regs.

My intent was only to pass along info related to his post which asked, "How can I remove the altitude and distance limits?"

My bad...
No is good to educate but sometimes it gets excessive.
You didn’t try in your post to and should have just pointed him in the right direction.
Also read guideline # 15.
FYI I have both of my settings wide open. Don’t mean that’s how
i fly but is what I have them set at.

Reactions: 66427cobra
Those regulations still don't stop the drone.
It's up to the flyer to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405