DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can such a brilliantly designed tool become such a pain in the butt

Calhoun Ranger

Reactions
I have flown my Mavic many times, with the only problem being the occasional flameout of the GO4 app. Today was different.
I noticed a slight drift in the yaw, so I decided to perform an RC calibration. Just to make sure I was taking the right steps, I watched the DJI "how-to" video on YouTube.
After performing the calibration, I started the Mavic and launched it, only to discover that the sticks had ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT. It hung about 4 feet in the air. RTH did nothing. Attempting to land from the GO4 app had no impact. I didn't want to try the RSC yet, as I wasn't ready to let it fall to the pavement.
The only option left was a hand-catch, which I have never done before. I caught it, and tried to shut down the battery. The Mavic, instead of shutting down, only revved higher, trying to climb.
While holding the Mavic in one hand, I tried the ESC. No impact at all.
I shut down the RC and re-started it. After several tries, the ESC finally shut it down.
The motors were hot enough to burn my hands.
One half hour later, I decided to "get back on that horse". I re-calibrated the RC, shut it down, and re-started everything in my normal order. The RC looked totally normal and the GO4 app looked totally normally and the Mavic looked totally ready to fly.
I did NOT want to use GO4 to launch it, because I did not want to end up right in that problem zone again. I tried to launch it using only the left stick forward, but there was no response.
That's where it sits. I am incredibly frustrated.
Any ideas?

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
I have flown my Mavic many times, with the only problem being the occasional flameout of the GO4 app. Today was different.
I noticed a slight drift in the yaw, so I decided to perform an RC calibration. Just to make sure I was taking the right steps, I watched the DJI "how-to" video on YouTube.
After performing the calibration, I started the Mavic and launched it, only to discover that the sticks had ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT. It hung about 4 feet in the air. RTH did nothing. Attempting to land from the GO4 app had no impact. I didn't want to try the RSC yet, as I wasn't ready to let it fall to the pavement.
The only option left was a hand-catch, which I have never done before. I caught it, and tried to shut down the battery. The Mavic, instead of shutting down, only revved higher, trying to climb.
While holding the Mavic in one hand, I tried the ESC. No impact at all.
I shut down the RC and re-started it. After several tries, the ESC finally shut it down.
The motors were hot enough to burn my hands.
One half hour later, I decided to "get back on that horse". I re-calibrated the RC, shut it down, and re-started everything in my normal order. The RC looked totally normal and the GO4 app looked totally normally and the Mavic looked totally ready to fly.
I did NOT want to use GO4 to launch it, because I did not want to end up right in that problem zone again. I tried to launch it using only the left stick forward, but there was no response.
That's where it sits. I am incredibly frustrated.
Any ideas?
Did you try re-binding the remote to the Mavic?

Just did that. Can anyone confirm that left stick forward is supposed to launch the Mavic? Although I usually use the auto-launch, it seems like I have launched with left stick forward before.

Yes that's how I launch but you can change your sticks.
Left stick up is default.

If I remember correctly, left stick forward won't launch it. You have to use either auto-launch in an app, or use the CSC to engage the motors to idle first, THEN the throttle up will allow you to manual launch.

EDIT: I see I was beaten to the punch, and I may be mistaken, I just don't remember left stick doing anything when it's sitting on the ground with motors offline. I totally could be wrong though.

The morning after . . .
I re-linked RC and drone. That's the only concrete change I made. Without blades, I attempted the CSC (both back, then in). The drone started and idled!!!!! With the knowledge that the sticks once again were impact the drone, I launched normally this morning. All seems to be in order.
One big request to the DJI crowd . . . when you are holding the drone IN YOUR HAND and it is out of control, a fail-safe kill button sequence on the drone itself would certainly be nice.

Reactions: treytexag
On the contrary, I agree. A manual kill function would be good if the unit loses connection with the remote! I imagine you could probably press the battery button and shut it down, though I am not sure if I would like to put my hands over the top of the blades.

same thing happened to me... indoors. I was hovering and noticed it starting to drift. I tried to land but it wouldn't so I grabbed it, from below of course. The sensor caused the Mavic to attempt to ascend. The motors were revving at maximum and I knew this was not normal. At that point, with a fully charged battery, I had two choices only; let go, in which case it would have smashed into the ceiling, or try to remove the battery somehow. With only one free hand I couldn't stop the motors with the controller so that was not an option. So I tried to remove the battery. The four blades at maximum rotation speed left me very little room to pinch the battery release, but somehow I was able to without injury.

Makes me think twice about grabbing the mav indoors.

though I am not sure if I would like to put my hands over the top of the blades.
That's the point, it's ridiculous to even try that. Your hands are worth more than a Mavic, if you REALLY can't regain control either wait for the battery to get empty or if in a hurry/dangerous situation throw a towel/piece of clothing on top to crash it.

If it's only 4' in the air, I would put a big pillow or mattress under the Mavic and engage CSC.

The point of the discussion is about not being able do a CSC becasue the aircraft is disconnected.

To me one of the biggest downsides is that I cannot catch land the Mavic, I fly in many parts of the world and very often the terrain is not conducive to landing on the ground. I wish there was an option for doing this, I do it all the time with my larger drones. I have no other option more often than not.

So what is the technique? With one hand on the Mavic what are you doing to shut off the motors?

Just catch from the bottom with VPS off. Holding throttle down a couple of seconds once no more downwards movement is sensed stops motors.

Get a mechanic's glove you can pull on with your teeth if you're gonna do that on the reg. Maybe some safety glasses.

I catch all the times. When I'm lazy I don't shut off VPS and let it try go up while I push left stick down to shut it off. Keeps a lot of dirt of it. :)

Although I try not to do it regularly I hand catch the MP sometimes with the bottom sensors on as well. If you put your hand out and lower the MP it will ascend a foot or so once it reaches your hand. Keep your hand there and the left stick down and it will descend a second time. Make sure you keep the left stick down the entire time UNTIL THE MOTORS COMPLETELY STOP. If you let off the left stick before the motors completely stop the MP will ascend again. I usually like to make sure Im at least wearing sunglasses while I do this. They make you look cool but protect your eyes as well....Thumbswayup

Reactions: Humanparody
I saw a post on you tube on how to do it. Hover at chest height, initiate auto land then put your hand underneath and hold the throttle all the way down. It drops straight into your hand but you have to grab it. If your hand moves slightly one way it will try to correct and leans over to move back to original position while the motors shut down. They only run for about 1 to 2 seconds than stop. Have been practising.

Next I need to practice hand launch but really need three hands for that so will wait til my iPad holder with neck strap arrives!

Its the hand launching that scares me! The last few times ive tried it I cant get the motors to spool up at all with the controller. Its kind of odd but I dont want to force the issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada