DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How close is considered harassment

walogcabin

Reactions
I’m going to be in Haines and Petersburg Alaska this August. I plan on getting some interesting video of the wildlife with my Mavic Pro. I’m not going to be in any Nat parks or wildlife preserves. I’ anticipating seeing everything from bears to sea lions and whales. How close can I get to them without it being harassment of the wildlife. I don’t want my drone to get confiscated due to harassing the wildlife. But I’m sure I’ll get some great shots.

That can be somewhat open to interpretation in laws and regulations of government.
Eg, in Australia legally you cannot be any closer than 300m to a whale/marine life.
But on land, there is no defined minimum distance to keep from animals, only people and property.

I’m going to be in Haines and Petersburg Alaska this August. I plan on getting some interesting video of the wildlife with my Mavic Pro. I’m not going to be in any Nat parks or wildlife preserves. I’ anticipating seeing everything from bears to sea lions and whales. How close can I get to them without it being harassment of the wildlife. I don’t want my drone to get confiscated due to harassing the wildlife. But I’m sure I’ll get some great shots.
The very wideangle lens on your Mavic is about the worst you could get for wildlife photography.
To get close enough to get good shots, you'd be too close.

Use a decent non-flying camera with a telephoto lens if you want to shoot wildlife and use the drone for scenery.

Last edited:
I'd say if they are reacting/disturbed you are a bit too close. If they get irritated or nervous, or pay attention to the drone it's a good sign to back off. If they basically ignore your drone you're probably a good distance.

It’s good that you care enough to ask this!
Wildlife photographers try not to alter the natural behavior of their subjects, and by the USF&WL Service description of Harassment and Take, Harass means "any act of pursuit, torment, or annoyance which has the potential to injure a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the wild; or has the potential to disturb a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the wild by causing disruption of behavioral patterns, including, but not limited to migration, breathing, nursing, breeding, feeding, sheltering”, and Take means "to harass, hunt, capture, or kill, or attempt to harass, hunt, capture, or kill. Take also includes feeding or attempting to feed a marine mammal in the wild.”

There are some recommended whale and other marine mammal guidelines for drones and boats here:

Last edited:
It’s good that you care enough to ask this!
Wildlife photographers try not to alter the natural behavior of their subjects, and by the USF&WL Service description of Harassment and Take, Harass means "any act of pursuit, torment, or annoyance which has the potential to injure a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the wild; or has the potential to disturb a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the wild by causing disruption of behavioral patterns, including, but not limited to migration, breathing, nursing, breeding, feeding, sheltering”, and Take means "to harass, hunt, capture, or kill, or attempt to harass, hunt, capture, or kill." Take includes feeding or attempting to feed a marine mammal in the wild.

There are some recommended whale and other marine mammal guidelines for drones and boats here:

Great reference with one major flaw. It recommends drones maintain an altitude of at least 1000ft.
That said, the points made are important.

Great reference with one major flaw. It recommends drones maintain an altitude of at least 1000ft.
That said, the points made are important.

I did see that too, I believe keeping a 1000’ distance would be sufficient. I believe that rule was from the same elevation recommended for aircraft above marine sanctuaries as seen on sectional maps off of the Central California coastline.

Reactions: Thomas B
Here in the uk I’ve flown my drone out and back through woodland and not spotted or flushed anything, I’ve then walked along a footpath near the flight path only for some Roe deer to break cover and dash off into the undergrowth.

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada