DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I cache maps in the Fly app

So I have a iPad mini with WiFi and cellular but I’m not paying to have cellular account for it. So I guess I can’t get maps on it ?

So I have a iPad mini with WiFi and cellular but I’m not paying to have cellular account for it. So I guess I can’t get maps on it ?
Just share internet from your phone. That’s what I do with my iPad mini on the road

It should be possible to cache the map ahead of time. You might have to leave the app running though.

Do anybody know yet

I just tried it, you need wi-fi or cell connection, open the app go to map and zoom in out of an area where you want to fly. Even if you close the app maps stay, but depending to what level you have to zoom them in, so make sure to max zoom on fly area.

Funny I did try this once and it didn't cache, then I tried again and now it is all loaded, the phone is in airplane mode wi-fi and Bluetooth are off.
This works, I was really curious about that for travel to some remote places without data coverage.
You can also cache Satelite and mixed maps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried it, you need wi-fi or cell connection, open the app go to map and zoom in out of an area where you want to fly. Even if you close the app maps stay, but depending to what level you have to zoom them in, so make sure to max zoom on fly area.

Funny I did try this once and it didn't cache, then I tried again and now it is all loaded, the phone is in airplane mode wi-fi and Bluetooth are off.
This works, I was really curious about that for travel to some remote places without data coverage.
You can also cache Satelite and mixed maps.
iOS or Android?

Interesting. For Go in iOS, map caching was volatile. In Android it was not. But they added actual caching function in Go, at least in Android.

Interesting. For Go in iOS, map caching was volatile. In Android it was not. But they added actual caching function in Go, at least in Android.

I forgot to add very important detail, to cache map you need to be connected to AC, which is totally stupid as it drains AC batteries. So you need to be ready to fly and cache by switching to in-flight map view. (bottom left corner)

You can't cache by just opening the app, and hitting the upper-left icon with your location, which seems to be just google maps. (this would be an ideal place as it would allow on caching by only using phone/ipad )

They're not going to use two different map sources and rendering subroutines for being online or offline. It shouldn't matter if the AC is on or off.
Only exception may be if the app can't read your device GPS location, where then it needs to read the AC's GPS to know where you are. It seems to figure it out from iOS location services though, even when the iPad has no GPS.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest