DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I charge my MAVIC2 PRO remote controller from a battery

netprophet

Reactions
I had a situation the other day where I had all 3 of my Drone batteries full charged, but once I started flying, the remote controller gave warnings of it's battery running low.

I was nowhere near a power outlet.

I have the additional pack with all the possible leads ... How do I charge the remote controller from one of the drone intelligent batteries or from the car charger?

I don't see a suitable lead or process?

thanks for your assistance...

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
The charge portion the Mavic 2 controller takes a standard USB micro-B cable. So a battery bank, such as what you might use for recharging a phone, would no doubt work. Also, I received a dongle in my Fly More kit that allows me to use a Mavic 2 Pro battery to charge other devices such as phones an maybe even remotes.

Assuming you have the Fly-More kit you could the battery to power bank adaptor and USB to micro usb cable. Otherwise I would think any micro usb cable would charge the controller via the cars power outlet.

Reactions: sshephard
The problem is the lead from the latest version of the RC is a very specific one and not USB. There would appear to be no USB socket in the RC ? The only charing port is the very small one top left hand corner. (Yes, I have the Fly More Kit) What you have suggested won't work... ( I don't think)

If we are talking about the Mavic 2 Pro controller, the USB port is the same port the short charging cable from the Mavic charging brick goes. It looks rectangular but it accepts the USB cable I mentioned, which isn’t quite rectangular. In fact I just topped off my controller using the cable I suggested and a small battery bank.

The charge portion the Mavic 2 controller takes a standard USB micro-B cable. So a battery bank, such as what you might use for recharging a phone, would no doubt work. Also, I received a dongle in my Fly More kit that allows me to use a Mavic 2 Pro battery to charge other devices such as phones an maybe even remotes.
"maybe" a remote? Surely having purchased the FLY MORE KIT ...etc... DJI would have provided a way to charge the RC with the leads and supplied equipment? I would like to charge either from a car socket or Intelligent battery from what has already been supplied.

"maybe" a remote? Surely having purchased the FLY MORE KIT ...etc... DJI would have provided a way to charge the RC with the leads and supplied equipment? I would like to charge either from a car socket or Intelligent battery from what has already been supplied.

Well, I got an small black USB C to USB MicroB converter so I can use the provided cable (mine is black and flat) to plug into a battery bank or a USB receptacle/cigarette plug converter.
52edadba4d20e6c9b3135def8d01eb93.jpg

Well, I got an small black USB C to USB MicroB converter so I can use the provided cable (mine is black and flat) to plug into a battery bank or a USB receptacle/cigarette plug converter.
52edadba4d20e6c9b3135def8d01eb93.jpg
I appreciate your efforts, and I think I have the black box connector ( shown at the top of this photo) It comes with the FLY MORE PACK ( I think) But MY point is:-

I don't want to look for alternate power sources, when I have 3 inteeligemty batteries and endless connectors and cables from DJI. Are we saying they have not provided a way to charge the RC from the equipment/extras they provide?

Reactions: MickyRicky
Of course you can charge the Remote Controller (RC) from a car socket with a USB A car charger, a USB battery or from the Mavic 2 drone battery (using the FMC kit adapter which converts from drone battery to USB A). You connect to the same top left corner port on the RC as when you charge at home. Either use the cable included in the kit or an ordinary USB A to Micro USB cable and connect to the RC. Mind the up and down side of the cable that goes into the RC. If you look at the cable and in the port you see which way it goes by looking for the leads.

I appreciate your efforts, and I think I have the black box connector ( shown at the top of this photo) It comes with the FLY MORE PACK ( I think) But MY point is:-

I don't want to look for alternate power sources, when I have 3 inteeligemty batteries and endless connectors and cables from DJI. Are we saying they have not provided a way to charge the RC from the equipment/extras they provide?

The Mavic comes with an AC charger that has a cable to charge a battery and a short (somewhat hidden) cable to charge the controller. We’re on our own when is comes to charging batteries and a controller when we are off the grid. But DJI did provide the basic mechanism in the form of a cable and an adapter to charge the controller. It’s up to us to provide the power source.

You need the little adapter which sits to the left of the bag to be able to use the drone batties as USB power sources.

1547400209796.png

BTW: Can the socket at the bottom of the RC (looks like standard USB) be used for charging?

DJI did not help things by using a variety of usb connections. The drone uses Micro-usb c, the controller's charger port (top left side) uses micro-usb A but that port also accepts the standard micro-usb B. The controller's lower port is the more standard "computer" sized plug found on cables and lots of thumb drives.

In the attached photo, the micro-usb A and B types both fit the charging port. As noted, the fly-more kit has an adapter to attach to the battery and provide usb cabling to other devices.

Also, while you canNOT use the controller's bottom port if a cable it attached to the charging port, actually, you can attach a power bank to it and still use the bottom port to attach to your device.

The Type C is the symmetrical one that has no top/bottom - insert in any direction. The usb micro B has subtle shape and can only be inserted ONE way. For the charger port, the narrow (top in photo) must be oriented UPward.

USB types-.jpg

BTW: Can the socket at the bottom of the RC (looks like standard USB) be used for charging?

NO.

That is why some folks only use it for charging. So that they don't mess it up trying to connect to the device. Once messed up, charging can be a problem. The bottom port is more robust.

Last edited:
Looks like DJI do not provide in the whole pack ($2000) a lead to charge the RC from either an intelligent battery or the car socket. As I suspected. Not good

Looks like DJI do not provide in the whole pack ($2000) a lead to charge the RC from either an intelligent battery or the car socket. As I suspected. Not good

Frankly, I don't remember what was included with the drone. But over the years, my various phones and tablets have gone through one more more of these plug types. I've collected cables and adapters to go from one to another and back. You might need the usb micro-b cable for the charger port. Check out monoprice.com for cheap prices. The type A used by the charging port is RARE but even it, with its rectangular shape, has a TOP and BOTTOM side and if inserted wrong can ruin the port. The newest type C is symmetrical and can be inserted any which way (except sideways!!!!)

I still have devices, gps, camera, that use the mini-A type!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka