DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I get colors to match (video & photo) Mavic 2 Pro?

justcruisin

Reactions
Hello,

Recently purchased a used M2P and really enjoying the capabilities!

I would like the colors to match between the photos and videos. Shooting photos in RAW and videos in 4k DLOG. Post processing is Lightroom for the photos and Davince Resolve for the videos.

Is there some way to shoot a test card in both photo and video and apply adjustments? I try to match everything (shooting at same location, time of day, light conditions, etc) but the colors are coming out slightly different.

Thanks!

Reactions: GFoto16
You did not mention why you want them to match or how you will be using them, but a simple solution would be to grab a still frame from the video using screen capture.

You will lose some resolution with this method but get exactly the same shot.

Hello,

Recently purchased a used M2P and really enjoying the capabilities!

I would like the colors to match between the photos and videos. Shooting photos in RAW and videos in 4k DLOG. Post processing is Lightroom for the photos and Davince Resolve for the videos.

Is there some way to shoot a test card in both photo and video and apply adjustments? I try to match everything (shooting at same location, time of day, light conditions, etc) but the colors are coming out slightly different.

Thanks!
It’s a complicated issue. The first most obvious reason for this is that with a raw file the color profiles aren’t as baked in. It’s up to the image editor to debayer the colors from the sensor when working with raw. As a result you can get different looking colors from the same raw photo in two different photo editors.

The next thing is that DJI doesn’t do a good job of releasing D-Log information for their various cameras. Its obvious that the D-log on my Inspire is totally different from the D-Log on the MA2 and they change it for basically every camera so there’s gonna be some variation from the camera’s native colorspace with video however you look at it.

There are a few things you can do and none of them are ideal.

The easiest way to solve is to shoot jpeg photos and shoot video in normal mode so the photos and video go through the same image processing pipeline on the drone.

If you don’t want to do that the next best thing is to actual process the DNG photos in Resolve. You’ll get a camera raw tab and many of the same controls as Lightroom and you’ll be editing in the same colorspace and gamma as the video.

You can use something like an xrite colorchecker but it works differently on raw photos in Lightroom than on video in resolve. You’d really need to import the photo into resolve and use its camera matching tool there on both the video and the photos to be any hope of it working but it’s a real mixed bag on how well that works

Reactions: Josiah S
It’s a complicated issue. The first most obvious reason for this is that with a raw file the color profiles aren’t as baked in. It’s up to the image editor to debayer the colors from the sensor when working with raw. As a result you can get different looking colors from the same raw photo in two different photo editors.

The next thing is that DJI doesn’t do a good job of releasing D-Log information for their various cameras. Its obvious that the D-log on my Inspire is totally different from the D-Log on the MA2 and they change it for basically every camera so there’s gonna be some variation from the camera’s native colorspace with video however you look at it.

There are a few things you can do and none of them are ideal.

The easiest way to solve is to shoot jpeg photos and shoot video in normal mode so the photos and video go through the same image processing pipeline on the drone.

If you don’t want to do that the next best thing is to actual process the DNG photos in Resolve. You’ll get a camera raw tab and many of the same controls as Lightroom and you’ll be editing in the same colorspace and gamma as the video.

You can use something like an xrite colorchecker but it works differently on raw photos in Lightroom than on video in resolve. You’d really need to import the photo into resolve and use its camera matching tool there on both the video and the photos to be any hope of it working but it’s a real mixed bag on how well that works

I had no idea Davinci Resolve did photos too! That sounds like the quickest solution so I’m going to try that first.

Thanks!

I had no idea Davinci Resolve did photos too! That sounds like the quickest solution so I’m going to try that first.

Thanks!
Davinci Resolve is loaded with a ton of features, although it does take a significant amount of time to learn...but that is what makes this hobby so enjoyable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest