DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I switch off obstacle/collision avoidance in the DJI Fly App?

Baron von Richthofen

Reactions
Assuming it's possible - I'm sure it used to be, does anyone know how to switch off the obstacle/collision avoidance sensors? I'm using the DJI Fly app with my MA2. The particular shots I'm trying to achieve is flying slowly in tripod mode, a few feet off the ground and in a fairly restricted outdoor space. There are several obstacles which I need to move around, through and over, but obstacle avoidance means the app is beeping constant annoying warnings at me, vibrating the controller and attempting to take control of the flight by either stopping dead and refusing to move forward or flying itself around the obstacle. It's all very slow, I'm walking behind the AC and am in full control at all times. Obstacle avoidance is preventing me getting the shots I need.

Last edited:
Assuming it's possible - I'm sure it used to be, does anyone know how to switch off the obstacle/collision avoidance sensors? I'm using the DJI Fly app with my MA2. The particular shots I'm trying to achieve is flying slowly in tripod mode, a few feet off the ground and in a fairly restricted outdoor space. There are several obstacles which I need to move around, through and over, but obstacle avoidance means the app is beeping constant annoying warnings at me, vibrating the controller and attempting to take control of the flight by either stopping dead and refusing to move forward or flying itself around the obstacle. It's all very slow, I'm walking behind the AC and am in full control at all times. Obstacle avoidance is preventing me getting the shots I need.
Refer to this Thread to see if it helps

You can't (another limitation of Fly v Go4).
It's annoying having the drone suddenly stop with a sun reflection or a known obstacle.
The only work around ive seen is sport mode and reduce the sensitivities to make it flyable.

Refer to this Thread to see if it helps
Thanks, but that one doesn't really answer the question and I think the app has been updated since then. I can't find an up-to-date reply to this specific question. I just need to switch it off so I can fly it slowly through some tight-ish gaps.

You can't (another limitation of Fly v Go4).
It's annoying having the drone suddenly stop with a sun reflection or a known obstacle.
The only work around ive seen is sport mode and reduce the sensitivities to make it flyable.
Ah, right. Well that's fairly clear. Thanks Cymru. Anyone know another workaround? I must say, I can see DJI are needing to play it safe here and have maybe had a few incidents they've been concerned about, but this is potentially fairly limiting for all kinds of situations.

I've never looked at Go4 until just now. I wasn't aware it was a DJI App. Why do they produce more than one app and is it better than the Fly app which I have always used? How is it with the Air2?

I always thought you could by going into the safety section of the Fly App and turning off Obstacle Detection... I think it had 3 options... Break, Go around, and turn off. I always used Stop and never played with it. I thought all those obstacle avoidance systems were turned off during tripod mode and sport mode. Are the warnings and beeping still on when avoidance is turned off?

I always thought you could by going into the safety section of the Fly App and turning off Obstacle Detection... I think it had 3 options... Break, Go around, and turn off. I always used Stop and never played with it. I thought all those obstacle avoidance systems were turned off during tripod mode and sport mode. Are the warnings and beeping still on when avoidance is turned off?
I think that used to be possible with the Fly App, but, alas, no longer. The cynical part of me says that DJI control the functionality and therefore popularity and sales of their different drone models by manipulating the apps. Older drones gradually have their functionality reduced, making their newer models seem (even) more attractive. Once a drone has a function removed from its compatible app, it is destined probably never to return.

does anyone know how to switch off the obstacle/collision avoidance sensors?

I don't have this app, but it may have the ability to turn the sensors OFF and you can program flight(s) to fly in the same pattern.

You also have the ability to virtually fly a mission before leaving home on a computer.

Litchi for DJI Drones

You might take a look at it and see what you think.

I think that used to be possible with the Fly App, but, alas, no longer. The cynical part of me says that DJI control the functionality and therefore popularity and sales of their different drone models by manipulating the apps. Older drones gradually have their functionality reduced, making their newer models seem (even) more attractive. Once a drone has a function removed from its compatible app, it is destined probably never to return.
I haven't updated to the newest version of Fly App. Last I checked the version before had those options still. I guess I won't update it unless it is a requirement to launch.

Thanks 317, I'll look into it. I've read lots of mentions of this app, but I never thought I'd bother. Times change.

Reactions: MA2 317
Copied straight from the DJI page. Go into the Safety Tab. You can change/turn it off there.
7e1cb8c7d59e32f647c1e78fd23f2445.png

DJI Fly​

The DJI Fly app interface was designed to be simplified and ultra-intuitive. Compatible for Mavic Mini, Mavic Air 2, DJI Mini 2, DJI FPV, DJI Air 2S, DJI Mini SE, DJI Mavic 3, DJI Mini 3 Pro

Copied straight from the DJI page. Go into the Safety Tab. You can change/turn it off there.
7e1cb8c7d59e32f647c1e78fd23f2445.png

DJI Fly​

The DJI Fly app interface was designed to be simplified and ultra-intuitive. Compatible for Mavic Mini, Mavic Air 2, DJI Mini 2, DJI FPV, DJI Air 2S, DJI Mini SE, DJI Mavic 3, DJI Mini 3 Pro

What??? I swear, last time I looked there was no option to switch it off! Now I open the app and there it is. Feeling a bit foolish tbh... But thanks anyway mobilehomer
:rolleyes::(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa