DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you deal with drone shyness?

shadow3467

Reactions
I recently got a Mini 3 Pro and I've noticed the 6-7 times I've gone out to fly, I specifically choose the furthest I can be from people as to not draw any attention to myself

And when the drone is in the air, I go to the maximum height ASAP (120m) so that I don't draw any attention to it either, which is kind of nice, but in some ways limits the quality of photos I can take

How do you get over the not wanting any kind of attention part?

In my life in general I try not to attract any attention (regardless of positive or negative attention) so it kind of carries over to my drone usage it seems.

I recently got a Mini 3 Pro and I've noticed the 6-7 times I've gone out to fly, I specifically choose the furthest I can be from people as to not draw any attention to myself

And when the drone is in the air, I go to the maximum height ASAP (120m) so that I don't draw any attention to it either, which is kind of nice, but in some ways limits the quality of photos I can take

In my life in general I try not to attract any attention (regardless of positive or negative attention) so it kind of carries over to my drone usage it seems.
This happens to many and the best way is to start flying from inside you car , this will give you some privacy and provide a good Focus on the drone and the controller.

Once you land a few times you will get more comfortable with how people react as well as how you feel , over time your will gain more confidence. Just about all our flights are from the car when People are around now.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain, Land on the Water.

This happens to many and the best way is to start flying from inside you car , this will give you some privacy and provide a good Focus on the drone and the controller.

Once you land a few times you will get more comfortable with how people react as well as how you feel , over time your will gain more confidence. Just about all our flights are from the car when People are around now.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain, Land on the Water.
The only problem with that is the Mini 3 signal strength is already bad, being inside a car basically makes the range like 100m

The only problem with that is the Mini 3 signal strength is already bad, being inside a car basically makes the range like 100m
There are a couple ways to fly from a car, you can fly from the side window open if you need to , just to safe guard .
The idea being that no matter how you decide to fly from the car it will provide you with some privacy.

If you can make a short video as I have yet to see anyone flying the Mini 3 from inside there car, so I would love to see that, and it will give you a sense of purpose to post it..

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Some of you people are creating a problem for other quad-pilots.

Doing something LEGAL and "hiding" creates SUSPICION. ( Stigmatism )

I do with my quad what i bought it to do (whenever DJI APP isn't being crappy), and i have never had a negative interaction.

Get out the closet.

Rights: Use em or lose em.

Maybe you can take a friend along. It might help to make you more comfortable. Then after a few flights, try it by yourself.

shadow3467 drone shyness is a real thing. I experience it for many reasons. Here's how I combat it:

For me . . . the more official I look the more comfortable I feel. Let's face it . . . the earth is populated and people will show up. Knowing the law and the CFRs gives you a little more feeling of authority.

I keep my flight bag near me. EVERYTHING is in there. If people start to take notice or move closer, I pull out my flight plan, sectional chart of the mission area and an airspace chart (with all the pretty shapes and colors). I hold it up like a doctor examining an x-ray 🤣!! That usually pushes my activities waaaay over their heads.

Below is what I carry on every flight . . . everything (labeled) is laminated or slipped into vinyl sheet protectors. I realize you are in Canada so laws are different.

IMG_4517.jpg IMG_4518.jpg IMG_4519.jpg IMG_4523.jpg IMG_4521.jpg

This is very similar and interchangeable with drone anxiety, and there's another thread of that name on here recently you might like to read. (A search will find it I'm sure.)

Nothing wrong with your approach at all, in fact it's that sort of thoughtfulness towards others that is good for drone pilots to have.
The number of times I've gone down to some scenic spot, at the beach etc, to fly a sunset, and end up not flying due to the crowds there also enjoying the space.
Rules aside for OOP here (strict !), I simply don't wish to impede on others peace & quiet. At all.

I generally fly remote areas, where it's harder for the general population to get to anyway, but I think I will continue to fly when it feels 'right' when around others.

I guess the first year or so there was a shyness mostly from unfamiliarity and such with equipment, not so much from people. But it helped that I do photography/videography freelance, which as a result one of the biggest aid is how you carry yourself, appearance of confidence, in other words looking like you belong there. If you act skittish/uncertain you invite a lot of scrutiny, which can be just as true for drone flying as it does for street photography or photojournalism.

I've also found that just being approachable helps a lot too, often times if I have someone who is looking a bit concerned at my drone and such I'll usually just wave em over, be like oh hey yea that's me. Being open invites more curiosity than it it invites animosity and I'm the type that likes to teach a bit, but I'll be up front that I need to keep my attention on the drone and to give me a moment to bring it in closer before getting too involved in a conversation or show-n-tell. From the more geeky curiosities I'll get questions like "how far", "how high", etc. And I usually phrase it in such a way that I understand the regulations, like "I'm sure it could reach 1000 feet, legally I have to keep it under 400ft above ground level, and within my sight".

If you're not a very sociable person, can mainly leave it at something like "I don't mean to be rude but I need to keep my attention on my aircraft".

shadow3467 drone shyness is a real thing. I experience it for many reasons. Here's how I combat it:

For me . . . the more official I look the more comfortable I feel. Let's face it . . .
I had drone anxiety for a few years, and one of the parts that i just hated was landing my drone , when you have a bunch of people on the Pier watching you.

If you tried to catch it in your hand, people were screaming at you not to do that. If you landed it on the Pier itself , people would move closer to the drone as it was landing . This is why I created the Lunar Landing Pad so I could have complete control over those incidents. Being able to hover and snatch my drone up safely out of the sky Priceless.

The more control i had over the drone , the less anxiety i had , but I still prefer the car. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to land your Drone in a Crowd.
Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 3.29.11 AM.png 2022-06-07_01h38_56.png

Last edited:
I had drone anxiety for a few years, and one of the parts that i just hated was landing my drone , when you have a bunch of people on the Pier watching you.

If you tried to catch it in your hand, people were screaming at you not to do that. If you landed it on the Pier itself , people would move closer to the drone as it was landing . This is why I created the Lunar Landing Pad so I could have complete control over those incidents. Being able to hover and snatch my drone up safely out of the sky Priceless.

The more control i had over the drone , the less anxiety i had , but I still prefer the car. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to land your Drone in a Crowd.
View attachment 149523
Looks sorta like a sleeker rescue jacket.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Being able to hover and snatch my drone up safely out of the sky Priceless.

Yes . . . I only hand launch and catch.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
@shadow3467 if you are flying following the rules laid down, and have checked that the area where you are intending to fly is not under a TFR ,then you have just as much right to be there as anyone else and fly your drone, there is no need to hide in the shadows i always wear my hi vis vest so people can see me and what i am doing see pic of myself standing up next to a friend who is preparing to take offfirst flights penalta 31-05-2022 (3).JPG

Good morning to all-
to the OP-
Brother, I think your approach to flying- keeping apart and separate from other folks is wise- very wise. This is precisely the way I fly the great majority of my time with the drones. I don't like to attract attention and I don't like being spoken to in a bad way by others who don't understand and appreciate my flying- so I stay away from other folks
If I had an assignment to do or if I needed specific photos from a particular site which had others around, I suppose I would just launch, fly, get my photos and leave.
I guess it's just my basic non-social attitude expressing itself, but i avoid other people when I fly. Everyone is happier this way.

good day to all- Ed

Some of you people are creating a problem for other quad-pilots.

Doing something LEGAL and "hiding" creates SUSPICION. ( Stigmatism )

I do with my quad what i bought it to do (whenever DJI APP isn't being crappy), and i have never had a negative interaction.

Get out the closet.

Rights: Use em or lose em.
Legal and suspicious? So what? You may have a cop pull up and ask you what you're doing, so you tell them. The thing is that once the drone is launched nobody knows what you're doing as unless they witnessed the launch they'd have no clue. Lots of people sit in their cars; have lunch, talk on the phone, etc. Some folks are just non confrontational and prefer to stay out of view.

I think the important point is not to fly too close to people who then might become agitated. But the thing is that once the drone is up in the air and a few feet away from whomever, whatever they can't hear it or see it. With something like a Mini after 400 feet the spec in the sky is invisible. After 100 feet or so, inaudible. I would tell the OP that he doesn't have to fly so high immediately and would encourage him to do some testing to see exactly how far a drone needs to be from him so he can no longer hear it and the parameters to which it can no longer be readily seen unaided.

Reactions: @Rip and twickers14
I experienced the same thing the first month or two I had the drone, but now I feel comfortable flying it in public.
I understand that some people might approach me angry or complain about the drone, but I'm always willing to explain to anyone the laws, and that I'm flying legally, so there is no need to worry. Some people also approach asking about the drone itself because they want to buy one, or just interested in drones in general.

As I mentioned, the video I linked above might help :)

Reactions: @Rip

You might call its shyness. I would call it strategic or stealth. It is good to stay away from mankind when flying our drone.

Dale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada