DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you deal with other peoples pets?

Skyryder

Reactions
So I don't have a lot of options to practice in a big city, finally found a big open grass field with no birds, ponds, playgrounds, dog parks or trees It's about the size of a football field. At least twice already someone has come right up to me while I was flying letting their dog right on top of my landing pad and camera bag right while I was testing out a forced landing feature with low battery. I struggled to keep it from hitting the ground. Dog could have got hurt, those blades can cut deep. Only a feet away from the dogs snout.

In a completely empty field, why do people feel compelled to walk there dog right up to the only person standing in the middle where there's no reason to cross paths? Yet not ask any questions or say hello? Or ask if it's ok to come closer? Also, we have a dozen dog parks, that was not one of them and technically not allowed to be off leash but people don't seem to care. How do you handle people like that tactfully? Without scaring them that you are that guy with the "dangerous" drone.

Reactions: macdog
Tough problem.
Short of building a dog pen to keep animals out of your area, there's little you can do.

I only fly at a nearby large public park very seldomly, perhaps twice a year testing something or other.
It's very popular with dog walkers, sometimes weekends there is dog obedience classes going on there.

I go during the week usually, working hours, and usually that is enough to have the whole several acres to myself.
If there's a pensioner there walking a dog, I just wait until they've moved on.

Why fly from the middle of the empty field ?
I prefer to stand along the edge on one side, away from where people generally come into the area, so I can see them and prep (land) or if enough battery just fly while they walk by . . . if I had to land while people were around, I'd just walk in a direction to suit and land away from their direction of travel.

Not much more you can do I'm afraid.
Maybe a dog pen 10' x 10' isn't that far fetched for your situation, I bet there are fold up models 2' - 3' high you can fit on most vehicle boots (trunks).

Reactions: Torque
I go to the center of the field because 3 of the 4 sides are surrounded by residential houses, roads, sidewalks and occasional pedestrians. It's literally just a big semi-kept patch of grass with some brown spots. No paths or anything. You could cut across it and still be hundreds of feet away. Why bring you dog right up the the guy flying a drone? Almost like they are curious but dont want to admit it so insead letting the dog be the excuse. Except they don't realize it's not a good idea.

Reactions: Torque
The other day I was hassled by dogs off the lead in an otherwise deserted park. I chased them off and the owner reluctantly put them on leads. Ten minutes later there they were again, owner nowhere to be seen. I managed to chase them away and get the drone landed and packed up. Walking home I saw her in another park playing with her kid. She'd just left the dogs to do what they liked, and if they were hassling someone else, well, too bad. I felt like giving her a piece of my mind, but there was her kid, and the woman looked more vicious than the dogs.

• Haha
Reactions: Skyryder
Not much you can do other than mark you space with cones and tape as @wardtom084 mentioned.
It's presumably a public park fitting for dogs. So, you could just look for a non-dog park.
Maybe mark you area with a dog repellent.

So I don't have a lot of options to practice in a big city, finally found a big open grass field with no birds, ponds, playgrounds, dog parks or trees It's about the size of a football field. At least twice already someone has come right up to me while I was flying letting their dog right on top of my landing pad and camera bag right while I was testing out a forced landing feature with low battery. I struggled to keep it from hitting the ground. Dog could have got hurt, those blades can cut deep. Only a feet away from the dogs snout.

In a completely empty field, why do people feel compelled to walk there dog right up to the only person standing in the middle where there's no reason to cross paths? Yet not ask any questions or say hello? Or ask if it's ok to come closer? Also, we have a dozen dog parks, that was not one of them and technically not allowed to be off leash but people don't seem to care. How do you handle people like that tactfully? Without scaring them that you are that guy with the "dangerous" drone.
I'd probably have said something like, "Please keep your dog back until I land my drone.".

Maybe they didn't say anything because they didn't want to disturb you?

Reactions: BigAl07
My first thought is "don't do anything that has the potential to set up a confrontational situation".

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Right here is my main issue and it would have been handled quickly and with respect. Respect is something that those other folks obviously lack.
They may not be affirmatively disrespectful. They may just be clueless.

If someone is doing something you don't like, and you don't tell them...how will they know?

Try sprinkling a good amount of cayenne pepper around you and your gear. Have never tried it but it might work like a temporary electric fence.

Probably only attractive to Mexican Chihuahuas... 🤪

I once had to hand land a M2P for a guy because there was a dog trying to attack the drone when it got close to the ground for landing. My solution is either to do a hand takeoff and landing, ask the pet owner to have their pets under control during takeoff and landing; or or the owner is absent, just kick the pets tail and tell them to **** off

Reactions: macdog
First, ask the cops if it's legal to fly there. If so, just do your thing and LET the **** dog attack it. Then, sue the hell out of the owner for a new drone. :D

Our drone regulations require that we fly min 30 m horizontally and 30 m vertically from a populous (One person = populous) area. Similarly for animals. Wales fall under a separate more stringent clause. I note that there is no regulation for flying above birds (except that they might be categorized as wild animals).

Rules are there to assist you with your situational awareness. Keep to the left and side of the road even if there is no meridian white line.

I have found the public and dog walkers extremely accommodating at my local park.

Dogs are dogs.

If all else fails wear a hi-viz orange vest. It works.

Plastic baby gates or metal dog type x pen. With or without pets with us, we use them for camping to keep our space our space.

First, ask the cops if it's legal to fly there. If so, just do your thing and LET the **** dog attack it. Then, sue the hell out of the owner for a new drone. :D

Hmm. I can't imagine that consciously allowing a dog to gnaw on your drone is part of a good problem solving approach.

A few thoughts.

Forcing a test of critical battery behavior is, IMO, problematic because you put the drone in a situation where you are arguably no longer in control of it as required. Some limited control over horizontal position would not satisfy the FAA requirements, in my judgement.

So that's an issue right there. The situation you encountered is what really drives the point home: You can't predict what may be occurring with people or animals when it's forced to land. Had you been at 50% battery in full control, the risk in this situation would have been near zero.

So, if you want to truly test situations like this, you need to give it some more thought, planning, and take steps to mitigate potential risks.

The dog/baby cage is a good idea... put the landing pad in there.

Put up a sign saying something like, "Danger! Emergency drone test under way. Injury risk. Stay 100 feet away!"

Don't know if you saw the guy and his dog earlier than when you finally hit critical battery forced landing, but if you did, that would be the trigger to abort the test, return under full control, and land.

I'm sure I can think of a few other things after I have my regular morning caffeine infusion...

Main takeaway: Remember you are required to have total, full control of that aircraft every second it's in the air. Deliberately limit the controllability and someone gets hurt, and there's likely going to be a lot of trouble with the authorities. That offense most likely won't be limited to a friendly "education" letter from the FAA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent