DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you decide on a place to fly your drone?

cavenger

Reactions
Do you go out looking for cranes, or statues, mountains, water... What do you like to do/film/take picture of with your drone?

Do you go out looking for cranes, or statues, mountains, water... What do you like to do/film/take picture of with your drone?

I mostly like coastal locations with rocky headlands. The landscape is always interesting but taking pics and footage of board riders in the surf is also a lot of fun for me.

I think that's a good question. As a new flyer and After spending a lot of time flying around My property I am getting a little tired of the same area. There are a few public areas where drones are welcome nearby that I haven't visited yet but after that I am a bit at a loss. Will likely search area points of interest and inquire if drone flying is permitted.

Reactions: cavenger and Chelo
Lakes, rivers, hills, forests, and farms are my favorite but like what is said above - anywhere can be interesting depending on the day and the lighting (it took me several months to realize the later). One thing that owning a drone has made me is go out and explore my environment a lot more. I even picked up cycling after two decades because some of the places I go to are a lot more accessible on two wheels. Go out and explore, you will undoubtedly find a lot of views that are interesting and some that are breath taking.

In the UK we have Grey Arrows Drone Club which has an excellent and recently updated link to Drone Scene which has mapping for sites that others have certified as good for flying. There are pictures and often videos of what is there and advice about parking, access and the legal situation. The UK map is linked to Altitude Angel and so includes NFZ info and hazard warnings rather like DJI database info but perhaps more accurate and likely more up to date. A very useful resource.

I would have thought that each country ought to have an equivalent site. Perhaps there already are such sites on a country wide basis but I am only aware of the UK resource which to access you need to join up at Gray Arrows Drone Club linked earlier. Could be useful for drone pilots travelling in the UK.

In the UK we have Grey Arrows Drone Club which has an excellent and recently updated link to Drone Scene which has mapping for sites that others have certified as good for flying. There are pictures and often videos of what is there and advice about parking, access and the legal situation. The UK map is linked to Altitude Angel and so includes NFZ info and hazard warnings rather like DJI database info but perhaps more accurate and likely more up to date. A very useful resource.

I would have thought that each country ought to have an equivalent site. Perhaps there already are such sites on a country wide basis but I am only aware of the UK resource which to access you need to join up at Gray Arrows Drone Club linked earlier. Could be useful for drone pilots travelling in the UK.
Awesome!

Reactions: Tkoglin
@THE CYBORG said - anywhere. Where I live in Montana I am in uncontrolled airspace so I launch right at my house. Luckily I live "out in the country" so I have a lot of options in which direction I decide to fly.

When I am in Mass. I am in controlled airspace and the airport is not in the LAANC system so I need to travel or plan ahead :confused:

@THE CYBORG said - anywhere. Where I live in Montana I am in uncontrolled airspace so I launch right at my house. Luckily I live "out in the country" so I have a lot of options in which direction I decide to fly.

When I am in Mass. I am in controlled airspace and the airport is not in the LAANC system so I need to travel or plan ahead :confused:
Unfortunately, not all of us are in such open space. I traveled to my mom's and had a really hard time finding places I was allowed to fly without permission. To be honest, I am so new I am still learning the faa way of doing things.

Reactions: Drgnfli

What part of Mass.

You see something that makes you feel "I gotta get that"
Like the back side of "The Skillet Knob" out my way.
How many can say they have seen the back side from the road???

dji_0665-jpg.87881

The only limit is your imagination. You don't have to go far, but as someone mentioned sunrise and sunset will give you the best lighting. I took this in my neighborhood. Even places you've been multiple times can still be interesting from varying perspectives. I've learned a lot about aerial photography since joining this forum.
78586428_10221803484423097_5541607332057710592_o.jpg

This one was taken not far from home. Honestly, this was more of an accident as I went there mainly for video. I didn't know I had this little gem until I got home.77113901_10221803484343095_8635373091133849600_o.jpg
This one was taken on my way to Vegas. Stopped by on the side of the road. Like I said the only limit is your imagination. Happy flying!

Attachments

• DJI_0665.jpg
    DJI_0665.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 460
Last edited:
I like to shoot everyday things and look for an artistic composition. I particularly like what the movement of the drone can produce, you can bring the eye from fore, to middle, and background through movement.
I feel like every shot can't be a landmark, so I try to convey the spirit of a place.

I like heading out to the countryside where I can walk the dog and get some scenic shots with the drone. I've been thinking I need to put a little more effort into it and try to take the same shots several months apart to show the change in seasons, it's been wet here annoyingly rather than snowy or frosty but when the temperature drops I'll hopefully get some good shots of places I visited in the summer.

I had seen somewhere a good source is using Google maps to plan a shot. Funny thing, down the street from my work is a largr Boy Scouts headquarters. They have a replica of the statue of Liberty and a American flag there. I keep trying to figure out where to launch to keep VLOS and be able to capture her.

Since I have been studying for my Commercial Drone License, I have been practicing videoing real estate properties, lakes, recreational area, and the local river to build a library of video clips for my use to sell my services. A Real Estate broker won't hire me without some examples of my work. Same for any other business that might be interested. I already have a few people interested in my services once I get my license (and some experience). So, hopefully, I can build up a business and make a few bucks on the side. I'm retired and I have all the time in the world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost