DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does Spotlight on DJI Go 4 work?

Hawkeye2

Reactions
Hi

Probably a simple answer to this question but I cannot find any real guidance on how Spotlight on DJI Go 4 works. I fly a M2 Zoom and am about to do my PfCO flight assessment with Heliguy. Part of the test requires me to 'Fly past a stationary subject maintaining a straight flight path (not curved) while keeping a subject in frame at all times'. I am not skilled enough to fly this just using the sticks, and I am not allowed to use FPV as I must maintain VLOS so don't see how anyone can it. The guidance for the assessments suggests I can use Spotlight to help but I cannot find any real guidance on this function. There is no Go 4 manual and the guidance on the DJI website is way out of date and gives almost no detail on this function. I have searched Google, looked at DJI tutorials and YouTube videos without success. I have tried using the function but cannot understand how to use the sticks to fly a straight line as forward will take you over the subject (so not past it) and as the drone moves it rotates to face the subject so forward is now in a different direction.

I am sure there is a simple method to using this but I cannot work it out. Anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Tapfly will probably do it more easily. Select a direction, tap go, then just yaw to stay framed on subject. Will probably need to adjust the gimbal wheel as you get closer or further away.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Spotlight is like a point of interest where you draw a box around your subject in active track mode and then click spotlight and the drone will keep that point if interest in the centre of the shot while you concentrate on flying the drone, easy

Reactions: BD0G and WAXMAN
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

The bit I struggle with (and it is down to my lack of experience) is that when I want to fly past and not over the point of interest in a straight line then I have to be close enough to the drone to see which way it is facing, put myself at one end of the line and then send the drone away from me by holding the right stick in the same position even though the drone is rotating. In other words if I push to top right to make it go towards 2 o'clock I am still holding it there when the drone ends up travelling backwards.

Just need to practice a lot in the weekend as the assessment is next Tuesday :-(

I think you may have to think a little differently. The right stick works like this. Up= forward. Down = back. Right = right and left = left you can see the direction the drone is pointing in the map in corner of the app screen
Hope this helps

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada