DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does "tap to focus" function work when wearing DJI Goggles?

CCDD

Reactions
Not certain if this topic has been addressed, anyone with any feedback on this?

Reactions: Jimmie Hanson
Watch the video reviews, was described as point where you want to focus with your head and use the touchpad to trigger focus there.

Reactions: RobP62
Except when I try to do that. It drops straight out of video mode, and takes a photograph. Then I have to faff about to get it back to shooting video :mad:

Except when I try to do that. It drops straight out of video mode, and takes a photograph. Then I have to faff about to get it back to shooting video :mad:

Press C1 on the tx, a crosshair will appear in goggles , move ur head to aim the crosshair then touch the touchpad to focus, click C1 again to remove the crosshair :)

I am just getting started with the goggles but my first view was out of focus in the headset. I'm sure there's a way to adjust but I haven't found it yet.

I am just getting started with the goggles but my first view was out of focus in the headset. I'm sure there's a way to adjust but I haven't found it yet.
From @msinger here:

4) Turn the IPD (Interpupillary Distance) knob on the bottom, right of the DJI Goggles body to set the distance between your eyes (this knob is not labeled). When not set properly, the picture will not be as clear and/or appear to be doubled.

From @msinger here:

4) Turn the IPD (Interpupillary Distance) knob on the bottom, right of the DJI Goggles body to set the distance between your eyes (this knob is not labeled). When not set properly, the picture will not be as clear and/or appear to be doubled.
Thanks nil but that aint it. Tried it first thing. It looks like if you turned the focus control on a camera 10 degrees.
If I can get in touch with DJI, I'm betting on having to return it. We'll see.

I had to get some stronger reading glasses as mine seemed out of focus, once i had them it was clear as day :)

I can hold the goggles a foot away and see the out of focus on the display.

I had a $30 pair of your typical iPhone goggles from Amazon and they had a simple focus adjustment, which allowed the screen (the actual phone) to be adjusted closer or further from both lenses. The IPD discussed earlier should not be confused with this as it instead moves the "pupils" closer or further apart. Most cheap phone goggles have this adjustment as well. The DJI Goggles have no true "focus" adjustment that I'm aware of. I wish they did because I'm a second one that might be sending them back to DJI because of it. I find this most frustrating as I had big hopes for these. I love everything else about them, access to menus, controls, etc. But it does no good if the image is out of focus.

Reactions: avanti1963
How is manual focusing with the goggles in low light conditions? Is there an improvement in your pictures / videos? (because manual focusing in low light conditions on an iPhone screen is usually a mess, due to the very small screen and therefore lack of detail).

Last edited:
I took a set of Eachine goggles into my Optometrist and asked him if he could adjust the focus on a set of reading glasses go coincide with the distance the screen was from my eyes. He did some figuring and was able to make a set of glasses with thin frames and all one focal plane. When the DJI goggles came in, they fit perfectly, the screen was really clear and sharp, so I recommend that anyone who wears bifocals of trifocals like I do, to see your optometrist before getting upset with the Goggles and raising hell about them. Best decision I ever made.

I had my eye Dr create new Rx that solved my focus problem. I have astigmatism and readers couldn't solve the problem.

I almost sent my brand new dji goggles back as I was disappointed that everything was blurry. I don't wear glasses so I thought they were defective. I went to the 99 Cents store and bought 1.5, 1.75 and 2.0 reading glasses for $3.25 total and ended up using the 1.75 and everything is crystal clear. Hope this helps you

I almost sent my brand new dji goggles back as I was disappointed that everything was blurry. I don't wear glasses so I thought they were defective. I went to the 99 Cents store and bought 1.5, 1.75 and 2.0 reading glasses for $3.25 total and ended up using the 1.75 and everything is crystal clear. Hope this helps you

My prescription is varifocal, which, like bi-focal, tri-focal, etc., rely on slightly tilting the head up or down to look out through different parts of the lenses for focussing at different distances. In any head-mounted display that means only a horizontal band is in focus and anything above or below that band will be out of focus. Titling the head does not correct it because the display moves with the head. Also, since I'd had a cataract surgery on one eye my right eye requires a very different prescription than my left eye - so a pair of cheap reading glasses would not work for me. When I got my Epson Moverio BT-300 Augmented Reality glasses a few months ago for my Mavic I was on the point of making an appointment with my optician to have them fit a pair of prescription fixed-focus lenses with the appropriate magnification for each eye into the special Rochester frames that came with the Moverio and attach to it (which would have been very expensive) when I realized I could just buy two cheap pairs of reading glasses and cut the lenses to shape with a Dremel tool (they are plastic, not glass), and fit them into the Rochester frame myself. To get the correct lenses I took my Moverio to the pharmacy and tried on reading glasses under the Moverio, first with one eye closed, then the other. I found the appropriate lenses and now have perfectly crisp focus on the Moverio screen in both eyes. My Goggles arrived last week. Unfortunately my customized Rochester frames don't focus too well on the Goggles display (I guess because the focal distance in the Goggles is a bit further away than in the Moverio) so I now plan to take the Goggles to the pharmacy and do a 'self-fitting' for another two pairs of cheap reading glasses and this time I'll just swap out the right-eye lenses and build a pair that will work for me in the Goggles.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu