DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does the Mav do in the winter?

Samson 811970

Reactions
Hi all, relative noob here... Had my MP for about 2 months and have about 5 hours flight time... I'm getting pretty good at it and enjoy it immensely.

Anyway, I'm in upstate New York, and before I blink an eye, it will be pretty cold outside, and eventually winter and the requisite snow will be here, and last for several months. I ask those more experienced than I what I can expect as far as flying in the colder months.

The thought of putting up my Mavic until March or April of 2018 is **** depressing!

Any thoughts about winter flying are appreciated.

The Mavic does quite well in cold weather if you keep your batteries and mobile device warm before flying. You can find some good cold weather flying tips here, here, and here.

I live in Michigan. I find that my fingers are the limiting factor when flying in the winter.

I need fingertips exposed as the iPad doesn't work with gloves, and 20 minutes of not wearing gloves in 20 degree temps is generally enough for me.

They make "special" gloves that work with touch screens but I've never used them myself.

I tried a pair of those gloves and they did not work well with me .
I have seen mitts for Phantom TX's but none for the mavic yet .

I find it's harder to maneuver the sticks while wearing gloves. I usually fly until my fingers cannot take it anymore -- and then I call it quits :D

I find it's harder to maneuver the sticks while wearing gloves. I usually fly until my fingers cannot take it anymore -- and then I call it quits :D
That seems like it makes sense... I really need to feel the sticks... To lose that touch would be difficult.

So the sensors work on in the colder Temps?

Also, is battery life impacted by the cold?

Hi all, relative noob here... Had my MP for about 2 months and have about 5 hours flight time... I'm getting pretty good at it and enjoy it immensely.

Anyway, I'm in upstate New York, and before I blink an eye, it will be pretty cold outside, and eventually winter and the requisite snow will be here, and last for several months. I ask those more experienced than I what I can expect as far as flying in the colder months.

The thought of putting up my Mavic until March or April of 2018 is **** depressing!

Any thoughts about winter flying are appreciated.

hey where in Upstate are you?

So you know all about the snow then... Went to college in Niagara falls and even lived in Penfield for a while...

You ever fly in the winter?
Haven't flown yet in winter...got the Mavic in May. It's amazing. Actually living in Webster. From what I hear, Mavic can get confused as the downward sensors can't find pattern in snow, so it might go wonkey. May wanna turn those off for bright smooth snow flying...we'll have to see...not that I want snow any time soon...Fall will be spectacular!

I received my Mavic in the winter and flew it quite a bit in the freezing temperatures without issue except for me being cold as several people have pointed out.

Haven't flown yet in winter...got the Mavic in May. It's amazing. Actually living in Webster. From what I hear, Mavic can get confused as the downward sensors can't find pattern in snow, so it might go wonkey. May wanna turn those off for bright smooth snow flying...we'll have to see...not that I want snow any time soon...Fall will be spectacular!
I know Webster very well... Took bay road to work everyday...

I figured the snow might confuse it when landing...i plan to use one of those landing pads.

Reactions: Scottso
Spent the last two months using my Mavic to film mountain scapes up at 5000-7000m in the Tien Shen Mountain Range. The temps ranged from -10 to -40 degrees Celsius. The Mavic didn't appear to suffer any bad side effects apart from the occasional rotor speed warning when the wind gusted too much. The main thing was keeping my hands warm but I was using Outdoor Research ice climbing gloves and they all have touch screen compatibility. Very impressed with the Mavic for easy lightweight use at altitude and in cold conditions.

Here's a very fast edit,

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3