DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How "enforced" are these regulations?

Reactions
I'm in wantage nj. Right near High Point state park, I'm on the cusp of buying my first drone, (Mav Air). But, I'm so close to great sites to fly, but, looks like according to the NJ laws, I'm not really allowed to fly in them, so, I'm wondering why I would buy it, if I can't fly where I want? I also am going to the Yellowstone area this summer, and want to become efficient at flying for that trip, but, looks like I cant fly there either. Frustrating.... any advice would be appreciated

Reactions: larrythedirtbag
There certainly are many places where it is illegal to fly. Also, there are many situations (ie, near/over people) where it is illegal to fly. For some people it a pricey investment. I got a MP+combo for Christmas from my wife (I’ve been itching to get one for years). But after researching places I could fly in my area, there were so many restiction, I couldn’t justify the cost. Now I’m a watcher!

Reactions: Whitewaterflies
I'm in wantage nj. Right near High Point state park, I'm on the cusp of buying my first drone, (Mav Air). But, I'm so close to great sites to fly, but, looks like according to the NJ laws, I'm not really allowed to fly in them, so, I'm wondering why I would buy it, if I can't fly where I want? I also am going to the Yellowstone area this summer, and want to become efficient at flying for that trip, but, looks like I cant fly there either. Frustrating.... any advice would be appreciated

Well, found this.....

Exclusive: Only one drone pilot has ever been busted for flying without a license — and he got a warning

But feel free to listen to the haters and the folks that won't do the research about all the places they CAN fly and talk themselves out of a great hobby and potential business.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
Well, found this.....

Exclusive: Only one drone pilot has ever been busted for flying without a license — and he got a warning

But feel free to listen to the haters and the folks that won't do the research about all the places they CAN fly and talk themselves out of a great hobby and potential business.

That article is about flying commercially without a Part 107 license, not about flying in prohibited areas. There are numerous cases of pilots cited for flying from State or National Park lands.

That article is about flying commercially without a Part 107 license, not about flying in prohibited areas. There are numerous cases of pilots cited for flying from State or National Park lands.

Did a short search - maybe not on point but the sentiment stands.

Are you able to find a source for FAA enforcement actions? Thanks!!

Did a short search - maybe not on point but the sentiment stands.

Are you able to find a source for FAA enforcement actions? Thanks!!

It's not the FAA enforcing National/State Park prohibitions on flying from their lands - that's NPS or local park LE. The FAA only enforces airspace regulations, including Part 107.

It's not the FAA enforcing National/State Park prohibitions on flying from their lands - that's NPS or local park LE. The FAA only enforces airspace regulations, including Part 107.

No - FAA enforcement actions generally, if any, against drone operators whether hobby or commercial?

Well, found this.....

I’m not a hater, just disappointed at the number of places that are limited. Hey, you can find a billion places to fly drones.....but I may not be able to travel to those billions of places. I wanted to fly at my cottage that is hours away from any significant population, in a water access only area, but because a float plane occasionally transports people from/to a remote area, he apparently owns all the airspace near me. All I was saying was that if you want to fly legally and you can’t travel to interesting places, you may not want to invest the signification $ on a drone. The chance of getting caught doing something illegal shouldn’t be a deciding factor on doing illegal activities.

I’m not a hater, just disappointed at the number of places that are limited. Hey, you can find a billion places to fly drones.....but I may not be able to travel to those billions of places. I wanted to fly at my cottage that is hours away from any significant population, in a water access only area, but because a float plane occasionally transports people from/to a remote area, he apparently owns all the airspace near me. All I was saying was that if you want to fly legally and you can’t travel to interesting places, you may not want to invest the signification $ on a drone. The chance of getting caught doing something illegal shouldn’t be a deciding factor on doing illegal activities.

I think that in remote, unpatrolled areas you would only be approached by law enforcement if someone complained.
Re the float plane, you could try to contact the operator / pilot and see if there might be some agreement to allow your flights. It may not be strictly legal but might avert a complaint that could be a problem.

Even though there are many areas you cannot fly, there are many more that you can. The Drone is a fantastic piece of engineering that provides enormous opportunities in flight and photography. Don't let the restrictions deter you from enjoying them (legally).

Keep in mind that the restrictions flying in state parks is taking off and landing from the state park, and operating your drone from inside the state park property lines. It does not restrict you from flying over the park if you launch from outside their property lines. If your property is close enough, AND YOU CAN MAINTAIN VISUAL LINE OF SITE (VLOS) OF YOUR DONE. Then you can legally fly over the park to obtain pictures and video. The VLOS is where your limitation may be with the Mavic Air depending on height of trees and other obstacles that may interfere with your signal. You also want to set your return to home (RTH) altitude high enough that if you lose signal the drone will climb high enough to return without running into anything.

IMPORTANT:
Do not fly low enough to disturb the wildlife or the authorities will come looking for you.
Do not fly over people/tourists as that is prohibited by the FAA.
Make sure to watch your battery level so that you have enough to return home.
If it goes down in the park, you may have trouble getting it back.

Since your new to Drones:
Make sure you read the manual before flying it the first time
Watch Youtube video reviews to see tips, cautions, problems, etc. for your specific drone
Read the American Model Association (AMA) rules for Drones
(Even though your not flying commercially, there are still rules to follow)

The first time you fly, go to an open field and practice until you are comfortable and understand your limitations BEFORE attempting to fly over the national park.

Some of the restrictions:
Maximum altitude: 400' AGl unless within 400' of a structure, then 400' above the highest point of the structure.
Not beyond Visual Line of Site
Not directly over people
Not over MOVING vehicles
Not near Critical Infrastructures (Dams/Prisons/National Monuments/etc.) See FAA for list.
Your AMA rules will give you more on these.

Be sure to check your local and state laws regarding drones. Even though they do not control the airspace, some areas have laws such as voyeurism/stalking laws that they can write you up for and/or ticket you/confiscate your drone. Many of these may not be legal and are or will be challenged when possible. However, if an authority tells you to stop flying, just land and comply so you don't get into trouble. If you know the officer was wrong, then contact the agency department head afterwards to show them the AMA/FAA rules to prove your point and let the agency head educate the officer.

Good luck and I hope you have many safe and enjoyable hours on your new drone.

...I wanted to fly at my cottage that is hours away from any significant population, in a water access only area, but because a float plane occasionally transports people from/to a remote area...
Sounds like the perfect place to fly. Float planes normally use the same access routes to areas so if you watch them for a while you will find where not to fly. If you also keep it under 400 ft and well away from their landing area you should have no problem. You may want to invest in flotation or a GetterBack type solution for the water or a Marco Polo type tracker for the woods.

If someone wanted to get technical, any sizable body of water could be used for a float plane. Just like any clearing may be used by a helicopter. Use common sense and stay out of the often used areas.

As for @Whitewaterflies Yellowstone trip; forget it. That park is just too vast for the launch outside the park trick.

Reactions: Whitewaterflies
No one owns the airspace if you are talking about the U.S nor the water ways unless it's a private lake

No one owns the airspace if you are talking about the U.S nor the water ways unless it's a private lake

But he does have to yield to manned aircraft. He might want to find out who and where the float planes originate from, then contact them to see if they have a schedule. He may also get a contact number so when he wants to fly he can check to see if any flights will be in the area.

But he does have to yield to manned aircraft. He might want to find out who and where the float planes originate from, then contact them to see if they have a schedule. He may also get a contact number so when he wants to fly he can check to see if any flights will be in the area.
True

I’m in NJ too. Flying in state parks is doable but with a major caveat. The rules are about operating a drone (takeoff, landing, and maybe controlling the drone) inside the park limits. There are ways around this - since state parks do not have jurisdiction to control the airspace, you can either fly in from outside the park (not feasible for High Point due to the size of the park), or you can apply with NJ State Parks department for a recreational or commercial waiver (which is kind of expensive). Honestly, the latter is kind of the better option because you probably want to enjoy yourself and not be stressed out about someone busting you. Also, I’d encourage you to err on the side of following the rules because the guys that don’t are the ones that will ruin it for the rest of us. (The fact that you’re researching this and asking questions about it is a good sign and shows that you’re willing to do the research to fly responsibly, so kudos.) Keep in mind that you have to do some research on the airspace to determine whether you can legally fly there anyway. For instance, Sandy Hook is a state park, but it’s also a wildlife refuge, so there’s a minimum altitude for aircraft (2000’ AGL I think) that is much higher than what drones can legally occupy.

If you have any questions about flying in NJ, feel free to shoot me a message.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123