DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How far away can you hear your Mini?

scro

Reactions
The other day I was flying in a rural area with fairly low background noise levels. There was some breeze in the trees and birds and some very distant traffic noise and occasionally people's voices/music. I was surprised that I could still clearly hear the Mini when it was 150-200m away, at about 30-50m altitude. At times I could still hear it at 350m (1150ft) away! I've also flown at a beach, and found that the background noise of waves masks out the MM very well such that I can't hear it beyond about 30-50m.

How far away do others need to go to no longer hear their MM?

Reactions: Mavic Mini
1 ft from my left ear...............perhaps. Right ear, not at all. Messing about aside, this will be a useful thread for me to watch.

There are a number of factors involved. Altitude, temperature, humidity, air density, other sounds, air flow and direction.

I was in Sedona (5000MSL) last year and my Mavic Pro was 1400 feet out and 300 feet up and I could hear it well.

For reference I was flying downwind in a light breeze, at about 170m altitude MSL, temperature around 16C and humidity approx 60%

Reactions: copterbob
funny you should mention hearing your drone from distance ,i can hear the MM much clearer than my MPP, you would think it would be the other way round ,but the low noise props of the MPP really do work

To me, even considering my hearing loss, the Mini is a lot louder than my Zoom and MA2, but the MA1 is still louder than all of them...almost to the point of being annoying when your hoping not to draw the attention of the neighborhood.

funny you should mention hearing your drone from distance ,i can hear the MM much clearer than my MPP, you would think it would be the other way round ,but the low noise props of the MPP really do work
From my minimal/2nd hand experience with The Mavic Pro (1, Plat. and 2) series and MA2 they seem to have a generally deeper pitched noise compared to the MM and MA, and this seems to be much easier to mask with ambient sounds, despite the very similar or even higher sound pressure levels. It's interesting how we perceive sounds!

Reactions: old man mavic
I fly mainly in the mountains, and the inspire is the loudest by far, followed by the air, its pitch is high and angry and is really loud. The pro is next, followed by the mini, but there is little in between them with the platinum props. We fly typically at 60 meters because of the topography, and often return at considerable height as we fly up hill generally. the mini is normally heard, 50 meters out and 60 meters up. the pro is similar, but to be honest is generally higher as it is normaly coming back from further up the hill. The air can be hear probaby 100 meters out, but its not the distance that is the issue with it, its really loud and angry up close. The inspire is hear 500 meters out and 100 meters up easily. However, this has got me thinking, perhaps its time for quieter props for the air

The other day I was flying in a rural area with fairly low background noise levels. There was some breeze in the trees and birds and some very distant traffic noise and occasionally people's voices/music. I was surprised that I could still clearly hear the Mini when it was 150-200m away, at about 30-50m altitude. At times I could still hear it at 350m (1150ft) away! I've also flown at a beach, and found that the background noise of waves masks out the MM very well such that I can't hear it beyond about 30-50m.

In night I hear my mavic mini when it is in 500 metres height

I can see city which is 23 kilometres away!
But legally in Latvia you're only allowed to fly up to 120m altitude, and only at daytime. Do you get special permission to fly higher and at night, or do you just disregard the law? 3 days ago I was flying at about 100m in a rural area in the UK where there is normally no aeroplanes near, and a small open cockpit ultralight flew overhead at maybe 250m. If I had been higher I could have hit the ultralight. That could have seriously hurt the pilot and maybe damaged the ultralight, or much worse. I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

But legally in Latvia you're only allowed to fly up to 120m altitude, and only at daytime. Do you get special permission to fly higher and at night, or do you just disregard the law? 3 days ago I was flying at about 100m in a rural area in the UK where there is normally no aeroplanes near, and a small open cockpit ultralight flew overhead at maybe 250m. If I had been higher I could have hit the ultralight. That could have seriously hurt the pilot and maybe damaged the ultralight, or much worse. I wouldn't want that on my conscience.
I got special permission to fly higher and at night! Thank you for your question!

Reactions: scro
Can’t see what the fuss is all about , where I live I can hear the cars and motor bikes on the motorway. Can’t see me being able to get them to stop driving.

Can’t see what the fuss is all about , where I live I can hear the cars and motor bikes on the motorway. Can’t see me being able to get them to stop driving.
Not quite sure what you're getting at here? There was no fuss, and nobody trying to stop me flying due to noise - just me being slightly surprised that something as light and low-powered as a MM could be heard as far away as 350m despite a small amount of background noise.

Just saying that we do worry about disturbing someone with noise from the drone. but they are pretty quiet. But still there are complaints, I was just comparing my drone in my area and how ridiculous it would be if anyone raised a complaint.

Yesterday I was not able to ear it at 93m height (vertical to me) . Today it was clearly audible at 120m height on same place!

Ahh fair enough ?. I've never had someone complain about noise from my drone so far, and totally agree that there are other much bigger noise polluters about such as cars/trucks/motorbikes far more deserving of noise complaints

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929