DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How far away from metallic objects should i be?

Wuei

Reactions
Hey! I own a mavic pro. I would want to build a landing pad outside my window but there is a metallic roof there. I would want to know how far away from that roof i would need to be? I will only start off and land there, not calibrate close to it.

I will only start off and land there, not calibrate close to it.
Calibration not included, but taking off near metallic objects is not good practice. You can still have compass issues if you take off near it. I would stay at least 10ft away if not farther.

I would want to know how far away from that roof i would need to be?
4+ feet away is usually enough. If you want to verify, hold your Mavic at the height you want to launch from and watch the red aircraft symbol on the map in DJI GO. If you see it start to slowly spin in a circle, the compass is too close to the roof.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Just for fun, enter "metallic" in the search function (top-right corner) and see what happens.

4+ feet away is usually enough. If you want to verify, hold your Mavic at the height you want to launch from and watch the red aircraft symbol on the map in DJI GO. If you see it start to slowly spin in a circle, the compass is too close to the roof.

Thanks -msinger, I didn't know that as I deliberately shy away from getting too close to metal or electronic structures as not loose my expensive toy.

Thanks for helping me, im new to this forum so its nice to get fast response!

I have never paid attention to metallic environment. "Metallic" says nothing about magnetic influences. Most metals are magnetically inactive. Not even steel. Only permanent magnets such as speakers or magnetic locks may influence the copter. Some permanent magnets are very small and avoid our attention: e.g. Smartphone covers with magnetic closure.
If the copter reports magnetic interference, then I check the environment around the copter with a compass app on the smartphone. This allows you to quickly locate problems around the drone.
My Mavic starts without compass problems on the roof of my car. My car interferes with the drone's magnetic field less than 1 meter from the speakers installed in the doors.

First off I always calibrate before my first flight of the day. I have taken off several times from in front of my truck or behind my truck within 6 feet and (knock on wood) have never had an issue.

Reactions: Bryce steiner
First off I always calibrate before my first flight of the day. I have taken off several times from in front of my truck or behind my truck within 6 feet and (knock on wood) have never had an issue.
Calibrating for the first flight of the day has as much effect as knocking on wood (none),

@Meta4
"Calibrating for the first flight of the day has as much effect as knocking on wood (none),"

Completely correct. There is no need to calibrate unless you are "prompted" to do so, and even then the case is iffy at best.
As long as you have a "stored" calibration that works for you, there is no need to repeat the process. Even within a distance of several hunreds of miles. Unless you have introduced magnetic influence at some point.

My experience with the M2 is that even removing the aircraft from the compass interference doesn't allow the compass interference message to go away. After moving the aircraft completely away, and even rebooting the aircraft and the app, the induced compass error still remains, and only by doing the compass dance will it go away, and then everything is fine. Also, after a launch without any compass interference warning, during mid flight, the unlocked aircraft direction displayed on the map relative of the aircraft will occasionally go wonky, making it difficult to keep the antennas pointed at the aircraft when flying laterally. I am still on version 1.00.00 of the M2P FW, but have no other issues, so I haven't updated yet. Any ideas?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11