DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How far should I fly?

GatorsUF

Reactions
I have yet to take my Part 107, but it appears that doesn't really offer much of an answer for VLOS. Obviously conditions will drastically impact any set distance...

My question I guess is how far do you feel comfortable flying your drone on a clear day? Obviously observing all rules of not flying over other humans etc... I live near a large park and I was quite surprised to see that the 3 mile radius from my house covers the entire park. I haven't taken my M2Z beyond 1000ft distance, and so I don't know that I'm willing to fly beyond 1 mile, but curious how many people do that on a regular basis.

Reactions: Dronage
If you're talking about flying LEGALLY then you'll need to address the actual regulation:

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft’s location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.

The trick is that you have to be able to be able to more than see a dot on the horizon. You need to be able to know a(1), a(2), a(3), AND a(4) the entire flight.

Keep in mind it's not a set distance because eyesight and conditions vary greatly. What might be VLOS today (clear day) might be well outside of VLOS on an overcast day.

I'm not speaking strictly legally, I'm speaking realistically.

I drive 5 miles per hour over the speed limit almost every day, I'm breaking the law but there is a cushion that most will accept. My question is how far on average do most of you fly your drone away from you?

My question I guess is how far do you feel comfortable flying your drone on a clear day? Obviously observing all rules of not flying over other humans etc
I'm not even sure what the question is.

Are you looking for a specific distance for every situation all of the time? Otherwise, the correct answer is... it varies.

Reactions: old man mavic
No, I'm asking how far you usually fly your drone on a day-to-day basis. What distance do you feel comfortable flying on a clear day?

I'm with @tcope as you seem to be contradicting your very own statements.

My question I guess is how far do you feel comfortable flying your drone on a clear day? Obviously observing all rules of not flying over other humans etc

there is no hard and fast distance with VLOS it all depends as stated before on many variables,and is an individual decision made by the pilot on a given day ,with respect to the conditions at the time and the location where the flight is taking place

LOL thanks for the replies everyone.

I guess my question was how far are you comfortable with your drone flying away from you...I get worried when it's more than 1000ft away.

Didn't mean for this to turn into a political VLOS discussion, but I certainly could have been more clear on that.

Reactions: razoraerial
Didn't mean for this to turn into a political VLOS discussion, but I certainly could have been more clear on that.

As you've already learned, some of us are passionate about this industry (it's more than a hobby/sport to many of us) and keeping it SAFE and viable for many years to come. Until the FAA has an allowance for flying BVLOS (hobby and commercial) you're going to see topics like this one become very divided and intense. I admit I'm as guilty and anyone and probably more so than most.

If everybody REALLY flew VLOS all the time, there would be no EPIC drone footage... Okay maybe some, but definitely more than 70% less.

I fly anywhere from 1000-10000 feet depending on weather.

The Mavic Air doesn't have Ocusync, so in town I stay within 2000 feet. (That's usually about where I lose signal)

If everybody REALLY flew VLOS all the time, there would be no EPIC drone footage... Okay maybe some, but definitely more than 70% less.

I fly anywhere from 1000-10000 feet depending on weather.

The Mavic Air doesn't have Ocusync, so in town I stay within 2000 feet. (That's usually about where I lose signal)

I can say without a doubt I've not flown BVLOS in a LONGGGGGGG time. I haven't found the need to fly long distances to get EPIC footage but that''s just me. YMMV.

I like to keep eyes on my MP and depending on conditions I have seen it 1.5 miles out. It is just a speck that far away but I have found that if (when) I lose sight if it I can turn it so I can see my location (area, not myself) on the screen and by lining up visual features and moving my MP quickly up and down, I can spot it. But normally I keep it within 1500 feet. I find myself playing "Where's my Mavic" often enough at that range.

Last edited:
I like to keep eyes on my MP and depending on conditions I have see it 1.5 miles out. It is just a speck that far away but I have found that if (when) I lose sight if it I can turn it so I can see my location (area, not myself) on the screen and by lining up visual features and moving my MP quickly up and down, I can spot it. But normally I keep it within 1500 feet. I find myself playing "Where's my Mavic" often enough at that range.
got to agree my max distance from the home point is set to 500 mtrs or just over 16,000 ft depending on the background and ambient light i can just make it out at that distance,but quite often i struggle to see it at 1000 ft i am lucky because i have good long vision ,but need glasses for close up so i wear them on the end of my nose then i get the best of both worlds

1500 feet is the sweet spot for me as well. Approximately a quarter of a mile +/- 500’

With that said, no matter what the distance is I spend the bulk of my attention on signal strength. If that starts going south I’m coming back fast. Past 1500 feet, line of sight is useless and everybody knows it. The data found on the screen or in my goggles are what allows me to fly safely, not some arbitrary subjective rule dreamed up by some bureaucrat

Last edited:
I am an old RC airplane guy. In the old days, we always kept it close enough so if it crashed, we could go retrieve it. If there is a dense forest, body of water, or mountain in your way, it's going to be tough to go get it, unless youre Davey Crockett, have scuba gear, or have the climbing skills of Spiderman.

I picked up some high discharge strobe LEDs for my M2P. I could see it from 2.5 miles. Technically, I couldnt see anything other than the strobe. But this was a cluster of .5 mile long storage facilities outside of El Paso just a few days ago. Today I flew a 75 ft building and was no more than 40 ft from it at all times with 2 other observers. That being said, I was in Class D airspace and just under a Class E transition, next to a major highway during lunch rush. Oh, and 3 billboards and powerlines on the entire perimeter.

I think it's probably more important to have a good handle on situational awareness and risk management.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851