DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How I epoxied my Mini back together.

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
So, it turns out that the Mini isn't as crash-resistant as my Tello had been. Due 100% to user error, I cracked the left front arm pretty good on the fourth day I had my Mini. I'm not complaining; I absolutely could have been more careful, and will be going forward.

I had bought DJI Care Refresh, but was going out of town for Thanksgiving and was hoping to get some footage while I was away, and I hear that it takes weeks to have a new drone in hand with Refresh. Plus, I wanted to see if I could avoid one using up my two warranty-covered replacements on Day 4 of my 365-day coverage.

Reports that superglue is useless are true. But the epoxy I used has held nicely over a few flights and a few bumps, and I wanted to share my experience with the community. It ain't pretty, but it's working.

Here's what I bought at Home Depot for about $5:

JBWeld.png

I put on a coat, left it overnight, promptly crashed it when I hit the wrong stick while landing it, and it came loose. So I put on another coat, waited overnight, and added one more coat. It is thick and clear and shiny; I could probably sand off the drip on the bottom, and rough it up to make it a little less obvious, but for the moment, it seems to be airworthy, which was the main goal:

IMG_3020.jpg
IMG_3021.jpg
IMG_3022.jpg

The nice thing about the tube of epoxy I bought is that it's re-closeable; I've brought the tube with me on this trip so I can do an emergency repair should I need to do so, and that might be a good idea going forward (even if I do eventually further wreck this drone, replace it, and am flying a fresh new one). But I've flown it for about 45 minutes in high winds, and all seems well.

Not only was the superglue useless, but it might even impede the ability of the epoxy to bind things up if you have to paint the epoxy atop the superglue. I'd recommend going straight to epoxy. I see online that J.B. Weld has a plastic-specific epoxy that might work even better:

plastic-epoxy.png

Bottom line: Epoxying a Mavic Mini seems to work just fine. So far.

Reactions: GarthH
Glad it’s sorted but you might have register it now as all that glue will have probably pushed it over 250g??

Ha! Thank you, but I think the amount of plastic I've sheared off my propellers more than makes up for it.

Then i wouldn't be flying it . ;)

Reactions: scooot and Thomas B
If that snaps in flight now or you need to claim for any other reason I really doubt refresh will be too accommodating.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the plastic bonder.
I'm sure you can hide that fix somehow if you have to refresh at a later date. I'm wondering how much of the drone you have to return to satisfy DJI.

it is a third case i see online where legs are shown broken apart like this. seems like a definite weak spot in MM design, i wonder if it would worth some preemptive measures to beef up that joint. may be pull out the filler with cord and put some epoxy inside of the leg while it is still intact.

it is a third case i see online where legs are shown broken apart like this. seems like a definite weak spot in MM design, i wonder if it would worth some preemptive measures to beef up that joint. may be pull out the filler with cord and put some epoxy inside of the leg while it is still intact.

This sounds good in principle but what if the cable to motor needed replacing.As it runs inside the arm covering it with hard expoy resin wouldn’t be a good idea.
Just a thought

Reactions: Emanáku
don't worry..some after market guy will come up with sleeves or leggings ...or something..maybe decalgirl can do a carbon fiber wrap zip-on

I had to glue three legs of a holystone drone that I crashed. I used Gorilla Superglue and that worked great. I have flown the repaired drone many times in very cold weather and the repairs have held.

isnt it great how we are all glued to this thread hoping to make it stick happy flying OMM

well thats good to know i expect there will be many takers after christmas

Reactions: Thmoore and scooot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11