DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How important is true line of sight?

followtheboat

Reactions
Hi all, newbie to the forums here.

Yesterday I sent my Mavic up to do a track of my boat at anchor. The boat was in a cove surrounded by big hills and trees but of course I was flying out to sea. I launched from the shore with GPS set and took shelter under a small bush from the sun. The boat was about 300m away so I flew above (50-100m?) and beyond (500m?) it to set the active track when I lost connection. The app simply said 'disconnected'. It was like this for a minute before regaining connection. The only thing i can think is that the bush i was under was blocking line of sight. However last week I flew my drone from a woody island and followed another boat out to sea where there was far more obstruction. In that instance the drone was much further away where I could only navigate by the app but that flight went without a hitch. In this latest episode I was flying from an island with no habitation. There was one mast ashore that's probably a VHF aerial at a guess, mounted by a disused ranger station, nothing too sinister.

The only other weird thing was that when manually RTB, the app flashed up a warning in yellow font, something about letting go of the sticks. I presume this was because I had them in an emergency landing position, but I believe I was moving forward and down so that doesn't make sense.

Any idea why it would lose connection like this?

[I've tried to upload what I think is my flight log but it says file extension not allowed.]

Reactions: MarcoMavic80
Did your phone lose connection, or the controller? I would confirm that by looking at the controller. I noticed the first few times I flew with my Android phone that it was really struggling without Airplane mode turned on. Once I turn on Airplane mode and shut down all background apps, it behaves. If you really did lose connection, the Mavic should have proceeded to return to home, unless you changed RTH settings.

I have been carefully experimenting with LOS blockage- it's amazing some times how much blockage there can be, especially only 300m away in your case.

Did your phone lose connection, or the controller? I would confirm that by looking at the controller. I noticed the first few times I flew with my Android phone that it was really struggling without Airplane mode turned on. Once I turn on Airplane mode and shut down all background apps, it behaves. If you really did lose connection, the Mavic should have proceeded to return to home, unless you changed RTH settings.

I have been carefully experimenting with LOS blockage- it's amazing some times how much blockage there can be, especially only 300m away in your case.
Good point, I didn't have airplane mode switched on and I probably had wifi on too. That said the phone I use is dedicated for the drone so it doesn't have a sim card and there were no wifi hotspots around, but point taken. I believe the drone probably started RTH (which I had switched on with a confirmation the launch co-ords had been acknowledged) and I was able to pick it up again. Can't say what lost connection as I didn't look at the controller, only the app, which said 'disconnected' (and greyed out screen).

I can only so as far as I can on this; first, thank you for having command of your language to write without misuse of homophones! I have flown in a similar situation, those were Douglas Firs, and kept good contact with an iPad Mini on DGI 4. The target was a beach to my 2 o'clock. But as I said, I'm not the most technical button in the jar. If it develops into more than a curious matter, maybe the antenna range extenders for you, might be a solution.

I have my iPad Mini WiFi only, on Hotspot from iPhone, I might add. All incoming notifications, OFF.

This disconnected issues has been with me for about 1 month. The only way I can get my app connected again is to unplug the USB cable from the side of the controlller and plug it back in again. I use both an iPhone 7 plus and a Google Pixel and it happens on both devices. I think it's a bit of a known issue at the moment. The app disconnects but I still get telemetry on the controller. The app says disconnected and then prompts me to accept or reject a Return To Home. DJI have suggested I try and use the USB connection on the bottom of the controller. Not tried it yet. This happens even when the Mavic is only 5 meters away (15 foot in old money)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore