DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How is the Film Poets Noise removal pack different from Neat Video's?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
There are times, like many of us, that we have no choice but to bump the ISO to 3200 or even sometimes 6400. There WILL be noise. I did try the Neat Video demo and it did a pretty decent job of cleaning up the noise. The issue is the $90 price tag for something I may use once in a blue moon. And then I saw the Film Poet's package which is about $20, but I'm led to believe that is produced by Neat Video. I"m sure I'm missing something as they couldn't possibly be the same product with such a price discrepancy. What am I missing?

Film Poet's Noise Reduction Profiles

Neat Video website

It's just a preset for use with Neat Video, not a standalone noise reducer. You will need to buy Neat Video first before you can apply this noise profile.

Why don't you ask Neat Video? Should it be that they produced, or at least that they are engaged in the sale of both products they should be in a position to provide an explanation.

Im not sure it is wise to assume that products should be priced similarly specifically because they contain the same ingredients. This is obviously not true and evidenced by countless examples across all products and services.

The Film Poets and Neat Video are different organizations. The Film Poets just purchased a Neat Video license, built a set of profiles and presets for some cameras and now selling them to the general public.
Anyone can do this if they want to.
You don't have to purchase the package from The Film Poets. Try Neat Video Demo, watch tutorials. Building a good noise profile and adjusting the setting is a perfectly doable task.
Good luck!

Reactions: Papa_G
Hey, the two products go hand in hand. Neat Video is an advanced noise reduction plugin. Most noise reduction plugins just guess at what the noise is and try to smooth it out. Most are horrible. Some are pretty decent, like Resolve's.

Neat Video is superior because you feed it the noise profile of your camera and it matches that profile inside of the footage, then removes it. So you can clean very noisy footage without destroying the detail in your shot.

So you need Neat Video, and you need your camera's noise profiles, and then you also need the right settings that balance reduction and detail.
I made the profiles and the presets in collaboration with Neat Video, we worked on the settings so that each drone would have the cleanest image while still being sharp. Everyone is different, even the codec changes the way the noise pattern moves, so you have to account for those things as well.

Side note, the sharpener inside of Neat Video is fantastic. It sounds funny, but since NV already knows the noise profile, it will never sharpen the noise. So you can actually sharpen and clean at the same time. Not super useful for drone footage, but the FOV of the M2p could use some sharpening or a really high ISO shot thats a bit soft.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54