DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How large have you printed Mavic still photos?

floyd

Reactions
My main reason for purchasing my Mavic was for still photography. I knew when I purchased it the camera was limited to 12 megapixels. My DSLR is 26mp, so printing large prints (16" x 20") is no problem; the image holds together quite well.

But I'm wondering if anyone has printed larger images from Mavic photos. How big have you printed? At what size does the image start to fall apart?

Thanks!

i wouldnt hesitate to print 16x20, the raw files are pretty good, especially files made from litchi, i have some panos that are 11000x4000px. some of the best resolution cameras are only 12mp,sony a7s for one.high mp cameras are great for cropping but in the end 12mp can get it done

There is a member on here that prints A1 no worries. I'm sure he uses the same/similar technique to the one Laurens23 posted.

Reactions: laurens23
i wouldnt hesitate to print 16x20, the raw files are pretty good, especially files made from litchi, i have some panos that are 11000x4000px. some of the best resolution cameras are only 12mp,sony a7s for one.high mp cameras are great for cropping but in the end 12mp can get it done
Wow! I never would have thought an app would make a difference in image quality! I wonder why the Litchi-made images would be better than the DJI app? I'm excited to give it a try! Thanks for the tip!

I never printed any of my drone pictures, but you could make some supperresolution pictures if you wanted to print a particular scene at a very large size.
Never heard of super-resolution images! Unfortunately I only have Lightroom, not Photoshop. But it looks like a great way to increase resolution! Thanks!

litchi allows for bracketed panos which dji does not, so if i have a pano thats 2 rows of 5 images bracked 3 each thats 30 images of my scene, i bracket each image for the pano to get the most detail, its time consuming but works great, some panos are a 60mb jpeg when done, dji doesnt allow for that

Reactions: Yoda007 and Mario T
(Feelin' kinda honored to be talking to Gene Simmons! Love your makeup.)

I'm still learning about stacking and stitching, so bare with me. So you stack the bracketed photos and then stitch them together? Do you use Lightroom or Photoshop?

Does Litchi do the panning for you, or do you have to manually pan? Does Litchi let you shoot in RAW?

Thanks for the info!

haha i am not gene but just a huge fan, yes litchi does the panning for u, u can set up your pano for as wide as u want, 90 degree 135 degree or 180 or 360, i choose 135, then how many rows u want, i choose 2 rows of 5 images per row, then u can select bracket for each, u can choose up to 7 i believe for each bracket, so when u get home u can load all the images into light room and stack them, i use lightroom to merge the brackets, so then after all that u have 10 hdr images, i choose not to allow lightroom to use auto hdr adjustments though, i only use for merge, then select the 10 merged images and select merge panorama and after a few min u will have a huge dng file pano, then i select edit in luminar export as a tiff file and i do my thing in luminar, u can totally edit in light room though then export in jpeg but i prefer luminar as it has some features that work great for dji raw files.

Reactions: Mario T
litchi has wayyy more options for pano than dji does for me thats worth the price right there, and it can pano in portait mode which i like to do, dji does not, i also find that litchi runs better on older slower phones and tablets its not a resource hog like dji is, waayyyyyy more options in litchi for photos

litchi has wayyy more options for pano than dji does for me thats worth the price right there, and it can pano in portait mode which i like to do, dji does not, i also find that litchi runs better on older slower phones and tablets its not a resource hog like dji is, waayyyyyy more options in litchi for photos
Thanks, Gene! You know your sh**!
On the App Store Litchi is 4/5 stars with some pretty negative reviews. Of course, not everyone is going to like everything about Litchi, and there are always those who are critical just for the sake of being critical, but it seems you highly recommend it. Aside from how much you love the photo features, have you had any problems with Litchi or experienced some annoyances?

I like that Litchi does automated panos. That is a huge plus! Will it do "panos" from a birds-eye point of view?

Reactions: chazzm
i cant comment on litchi for ios, i use android and i prefer it over dji, it may not work as good on ios devices i am not sure, if u have an old android phone or tablet u can find an older version of it for free, not sure if its hacked or not though but i found one so i could try it out, its not the neweset version but seems to have all the features, i havenet tried panos from cam pointing down,it does have a feature for adding a few frames to the bottom of a image,cant remeber what its called though but i did play around with it, i havent had any scary sittuations with litchi, one time during a pano on the last image it froze and the rc was stuck in joystick mode, i restarted the app and landed the bird though, some helpful users told me an easier way though so ill remeber if it happens again, all in all its a great app and nice to have options, when i start my rc my phone asks me what app i want to start for flying, nice to have 2,

another plus of litchi is it does waypoint missions, i havent used this feature but people rave on it so it must be good haha, u can pre plan your flight onn google earth and it will follow the flight plan u made all automatically, kinda scary but fun in the same token

You can use a tool like On1 Resize to upsample images as much as you need for a large print. I've done it with old digital camera files to get 16x20's in the past. Works great, actually.

Thanks, Gene! You know your sh**!
On the App Store Litchi is 4/5 stars with some pretty negative reviews. Of course, not everyone is going to like everything about Litchi, and there are always those who are critical just for the sake of being critical, but it seems you highly recommend it. Aside from how much you love the photo features, have you had any problems with Litchi or experienced some annoyances?

I like that Litchi does automated panos. That is a huge plus! Will it do "panos" from a birds-eye point of view?
i just tested the birds eye view pano in litchi and yes she will start a pano where ever u point the camera, dji does not, it actually levels the horizon first then starts, litchi doesnt, it starts where u start it

Reactions: chazzm
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada