DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How long did you spend preparing for the Part 107 test? (non-pilots)

AtomQ

Reactions
I am trying to get a sense of the amount of time one should allow for preparation for the Part 107 test? Specifically, for people who do not have any pilot/flying experience. As a teacher myself, I know there are a lot of variables but I thought I could get a sense by seeing a collection of responses here from people who are drone pilots specifically.

Thanks!

I've seen people study for a week and pass, or take 4 weeks.

A lot depends on how well you retain what you learn. And remember, passing the test is only the beginning. You have to keep learning to fly safe.

I took 2 weeks reading through the FAA material, taking practice tests, and watching YouTube videos. I got a 78 which was a bit of a disappointment since I was getting high 90's on practice tests. I was just happy to pass in the end.

I spent an hour or 2 each night during that period to prepare. As a non pilot of anything other than a car, i was starting at 0 :) I found most of the material interesting.

I probably put in about 18 hours of concentrated study over 2.5 weeks, and ran maybe 6 practice tests. Scored 96. One just plain wrong answer, and one question tripped up by tricky wording.

This was in addition to a 4cr. college course that was a very general introduction to everything drone in the context of GIS/Precision Ag, but wasn’t specifically test prep. Test orientation maybe. It did give me a pretty clear idea of what I needed to do to prep for the test, as well as flying experience, drone maintenance, state and local law affecting drones, and a good overview of drone hazards and liabilities.

There are lots of things one should know that are not covered in the test! For a Pt. 107 pilot building a business or using a drone in their employment it’s probably (at least) 9.5 hours ground work for every half-hour in the air. OK, I made up those numbers, but you get the idea.

Any links to good online tests similar to what the FAA's 107 questions are? I took one set of online tests a couple months ago and passed in the upper 80s. I just wonder how valid they are. Most questions were straight forward and I knew the answer. On a few of the multiple choice questions I didn't actually know the answer for sure, but the others choices were incorrect so it pointed to the correct answer. I did have to guess on a couple and there were a few about your personal attitude if you fly a particular way. Strange IMO.

I did learn how to read sectionals a few years ago and have read articles here and there. This site is helpful provided you wade through the incorrect info which is usually pointed out. I just wonder how true to life this online test was. So any good free pre-tests out there worth taking?

DroneCoach is a pretty good site. Look under Links. They have a practice test. They also have a utube channel. Beware of sites that aren't current. Most of them lack information for 2021 changes. You will have to google those. They include night flying, operating over people and cars.

Reactions: maggior
... I did have to guess on a couple and there were a few about your personal attitude if you fly a particular way. Strange IMO…
Hazardous attitudes and their antidotes do seem an odd psychology, but any prep must cover them. They are a well established part of civilian and military aviation culture, and should be covered in study and practice tests.

Mine was about 3 days, 2 hours each day, as I was hustling to get certified for a job.

It's definitely doable in that time, as I passed with a 90% (consistent with the online sample tests I took), but can vary depending on how you feel taking tests. Sectionals aren't that tough once you "learn the language" of them - definitely consult that map key, as it just gives you a number of answers with careful reading, even on questions that aren't referring to a sectional example. Understanding METARs and runway operations lingo/markings may also present difficulty if you're not familiar with the space.

I took @pilotintitute course and spent about 25 hours studying for the test...I don't think anyone who has taken the test can tell you specifically what to study...but sectionals, weather, reading metars, general regulations, airport traffic patterns, different controlled airspaces...and as mentioned attitude psychology....which leaves a lot of room for error...it is a very broad spectrum

I am trying to get a sense of the amount of time one should allow for preparation for the Part 107 test? Specifically, for people who do not have any pilot/flying experience. As a teacher myself, I know there are a lot of variables but I thought I could get a sense by seeing a collection of responses here from people who are drone pilots specifically.

Thanks!
Just to add to the sampling of replies, I used Gold Seal online instruction Gold Seal UAV Ground School | Pass your Part 107 Exam and I believe there is a practice test on their website. I covered the study material in approximately 22 - 24 hours over a couple of weeks. I was fortunate enough to obtain a perfect score and I remember two questions on the exam that were tricky, for sure. As a teacher, you will appreciate that you can approach the test preparation in two ways: one, to learn as much as you can from your training modules or two, just do enough to get a “passing grade.” Good luck and study hard!

I studied for a month or so, a few hours a week, and got a 90. The online FAA Remote Pilot Study Guide was helpful, of course. Tony Northrup's free video guide was a pleasure to watch and extremely helpful (parts of it may be obsolete). I bought a paper Sectional Chart for my region as I found that material was difficult, and having a physical copy is good for reference anytime. Runway questions were the hardest for me.

I took @pilotintitute course and spent about 25 hours studying for the test...I don't think anyone who has taken the test can tell you specifically what to study...but sectionals, weather, reading metars, general regulations, airport traffic patterns, different controlled airspaces...and as mentioned attitude psychology....which leaves a lot of room for error...it is a very broad spectrum
I'm taking the same course right now but haven't had the time because of school. I'm intending to just study on weekends.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Great thread guys. I'm studying for my Part 107 and the information you all gave has been helpful - thanks!

Thanks so much all! This is really insightful and helpful. I really appreciate it!

I will NOT take anything from the numerous prep venues that do a wonderful job, I will simply state I did not use any commercial venue. My approach was to use the source material. All my study came directly from the FAA we site arena. I went straight to the source. It’s their test, I simply used their data. Passed my initial in the lower 90s and recurrent in the upper 90s. Passed! It was all self study. There are numerous well worth the investment venues available. I choose the self study route.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I will NOT take anything from the numerous prep venues that do a wonderful job, I will simply state I did not use any commercial venue. My approach was to use the source material. All my study came directly from the FAA we site arena. I went straight to the source. It’s their test, I simply used their data. Passed my initial in the lower 90s and recurrent in the upper 90s. Passed! It was all self study. There are numerous well worth the investment venues available. I choose the self study route.
Until "the smoke clears" and the pre April 2021 changes are just a vague memory ...it's important to have current information.....I read the FAA material and found it to be too voluminous to digest ....I applaud your ability to do it that way...I would have liked to saved the $$$...A question that I have for others who have studied and taken the test...do you find it confusing differentiating the details in recreational rules vs 107 rules? ...For instannce flying over people ...or flying at night?

.A question that I have for others who have studied and taken the test...do you find it confusing differentiating the details in recreational rules vs 107 rules? ...For instannce flying over people ...or flying at night?

I haven't taken it yet and I am still in the slightly overwhelmed stage of the drone education process. I did find this which links out to what seems like useful information - not sure - 2021 New FAA Drone Regulations: Summary and Overview — ProAerial Media

I think there's a decent in-between using just FAA materials and paying for a course: the number of free course materials on YouTube/websites. For some, it might help to have more of a guided approach to the key concepts, compared to getting lost in the weeds of certain regulations that might constitute just 1 question on the test.

Thanks!

When I took my Initial test, many of the courses available now; weren't then. I went to the FAA site and downloaded all the study material and practice tests. Not being a pilot before hand, the depth of what was required was (to me) very daunting. I decided if I was going to do this, I did not want to aim at just passing the test but rather I wanted to know and understand the material.

Since I was in no hurry, I would spend a little time in the evenings for about four weeks reading and re-reading each of the topics. I then took two weeks off from even looking at any of it, then took the practice tests and noted where I was not scoring well (airspace and weather). Spent another three weeks studying these areas until I felt I knew the material and at that point, took the test and passed without missing a single question.

The key for me was not putting a time limit on it but rather take as long as I needed, (which was probably more than most) to fully understand all of the topics. As they say: Your mileage may vary.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato